Author Topic: Rear End ?  (Read 7005 times)

bpossel

Rear End ?
« on: January 08, 2008, 18:38:18 »
OK, this is for the 113 fanatics!

I need to know if the body line, per picture below (and marked with the arrows), extends from the center to the left and right side respectfully…

Does anyone have pics of their rears with the bumpers and rear tail lights removed?

With the paint removed also?

My car is currently stripped and appears to have had some body work, so the lines are not visible…

Thanks!
Bob

Download Attachment: rearline.jpg
44.42 KB

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Download Attachment: rearnow.jpg
79.52 KB
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 18:45:56 by bpossel »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Rear End ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 18:51:13 »
Are you talking about the row of spot welds (I believe) between the bumper and light?  I can't see them in the pic with paint, but I can in the other pic.  Slim chance, but does this help?

Download Attachment: pic 067a.jpg
77.55 KB

Rodd
Pagoda Technical Manual
please contibute: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php
1966 230SL
2006 C230 Sport Sedan
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 19:03:13 »
Hi Rodd,

I know its hard to understand my question....

With my paint stripped down (refer to pic "rearnow"), it shows that a previous owner had the rearend pulled out with a slide hammer...  small holes are visible, and signs of the rear metal being pulled back out.

So my question is does the body line extend from the center (per arrow) to the left side (per arrow).  Then same question for the right side...

So, is there supposed to be a body line on the top of each of the rear bumpers, running the length of each respective bumper...

Thanks,
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 19:03:34 by bpossel »

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 21:51:32 »
Bob,
I think you're thinking about this backwards.  There isn't supposed to be a line across the back of the car.  Rather, the center of the body recesses a few mm in the area where the license plate is mounted.  If you imagined the body rounding from each fender toward the middle, all would be smooth and level until you got to the inside of the tail lights where it recesses into the trunk.  The recess traces the top inner curve of each bumper.

What happens on some cars is the rear bumpers get whacked, and crease the sheet metal in a nice bumper shaped dent line across the car.  I got one of those lines on the left side when my car rolled back into a lamp post at the photo shoot in Blacklick.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 22:59:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

I know its hard to understand my question....
I guess I don't know what you mean by "body line".  Is that a contour in the body, or where two parts of sheet metal come together welded, or something else?

Rodd
Pagoda Technical Manual
please contibute: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php
1966 230SL
2006 C230 Sport Sedan
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

hauser

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 23:09:44 »
Bob, can you find this section of sheet metal on the K&K site?  If so you could compare their virgin sheetmetal to yours?

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

bpossel

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 04:53:37 »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies!  Checked K&K site, did not answer question. I believe Raymond did address the question...  area I am referring to should be smooth, no body indents, no body lines... I have a nice straight indent that runs along the area that lines up with the top edge of the bumper.  So, like Raymond, my car must have been bumped at some time in its life?

I'll see if I can clarify my question.  The area between the lower edge of the tail light and the upper part of where the bumper bracket sits (valley)...  is this area flat, or flush (No indentations, no lines)?  I marked the area with a blue line.

Thanks!

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 05:00:24 by bpossel »

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:41:55 »
Would a picture of the back of my car with the bumpers off help any?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:18:44 »
Bob,
I think the picture Rodd initially posted below clearly shows there's no "crease" in this area. Ray's explanation is spot-on. In fact, I had a similar little accident as Ray did where one of my bumpers got banged into the body and created a little "crease-line". I removed both rear bumpers and found the good side to be perfectly smooth. Let us know if you'd like more pictures.

Waqas in Austin, Texas
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:19:33 by waqas »
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

bpossel

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 18:01:35 »
Thanks All!!!

I gave the bodyshop the answer....

Smooth, no crease!

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320