Author Topic: Degreasing big parts  (Read 6333 times)

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Degreasing big parts
« on: January 08, 2008, 12:27:21 »
Pagodenfiles,

When I replaced my differential and real axles a few years ago, I had a 'fun' time cleaning and degreasing it. I wish I'd taken more time clean and repaint it. Before I remove my transmission for some maintenance, I'd like some opinions on re-finishing.

So how do you guys do it?
  • Best 'green' degreaser?
  • Angle grinder with steel brush for rust? Scouring pads for grease?
  • Special disposal for residue? Place it all in the bath tub and hose down???  8)
  • What kinds of paint do you use for differentials, transmissions, drive-shafts, etc?

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Re: Degreasing big parts
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 13:12:03 »
Waqas .... I do a lot of scrapping with a putty knife.  I like the putty knife to get the bulk of caked grease and gunk off without spreading it all over the garage.  I then use a lot of newspaper, brake cleaner and paper towels.  Newspaper underneath, the brake cleaner dries without leaving a residue so it works well before painting.  For rust, I use the angle grinder with a wire wheel (but I need to take that outside).

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 15:22:00 »
There is a "rust-eater" chemical called Os-Pho.  It's largely Phosphoric Acid, (like in Coca-cola) and it seems to do a good job of dissolving, loosening, and resisting future rust.  It's sold by the gallon at automotive paint suppliers.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 19:10:05 »
Hello Wagas!

I use "Simple Green", purchased at "Sams Club"

Like, Jim, I use a putty knife and screw driver to get the big stuff off, then Simple Green with lots of paper towels...  Also use my grinder with a brass wheel...

I have removed every nut, bolt, screw, etc from my car, so I have first hand experience with lots of old grease and crud.

Just need to take your time and consider it a project...

Tonight I was cleaning my front wheel spindles, removing all old grease and painting them.

I am using all Eastwood paints (rust enhibitor, preventor, and chassis paint...)

I plan to use the Eastwood paints on my rear axle also.

All other front suspension pieces are at the powder coaters being powder coated in a semi-gloss black paint...

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 19:11:12 by bpossel »

psmith

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 20:59:32 »
I use Simple Green for lighter cleaning and "Spray Nine" for the heavy stuff.  Based on the smell, I don't think it's very green, but it works great.  I tried a wire brush with brass bristles, but it gunked up too fast so I use a scraper too.  For small nooks & crannies I use Popsicle sticks that I got in a bag labeled "craft sticks"

I also have a set of heavy duty scrapers that I got from eastwood that ripped right through the heavy tar paper insulation that was underneath the carpets.

Pete S.

RBYCC

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 12:10:13 »

Tide laundry detergent in hot water always worked for me, even washing down engine blocks prior to machining and assembly.
Rinses off and leaves no residue

ED A.
1971 280SL
1988 300CE TWIN TURBO
1990 C43 AMG
2003 G55 AMG

psmith

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 13:08:34 »
I have heard about Tide but never tried it.  I understand you need to use the powder, not the liquid detergent.

Pete S.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 13:23:37 »
Thanks all!  This is great information.

Can the driveshaft be painted in the same way as anything else? (POR-15, etc)  Should I worry about the uneven paint thickness around the circumeference of the shaft causing any strange vibrations...?

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas