Author Topic: Facilities of this site and its future...  (Read 7083 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Facilities of this site and its future...
« on: January 06, 2008, 15:18:39 »
As I was hijacking another thread, I've opened up this discussion here.... it was in response to "thelews" comments in this thread: index.php?topic=8034

Originally posted by thelews

Speaking for myself, while I'd like to accommodate you and use the club server, it's just too much of a pain...and I'm fairly savvy on computers.  You may want to touch base with Jim Villers who is a member here and runs the 190 SL site...excellent, simple, quick uploads and archiving of photos.  I couldn't even log on to the wiki technical manual.

the reason this forum started is because we had no control over our destiny on a Yahoo site... old material got deleted outside of our control. We established this community back in 2003, and the people who established it chose software they knew and that was pretty spiffy at the time.

I inherited the site and have been making changes ever since... but incrementally, because most of the value on this board is not in the software, but in the content... but then the content needs to be on the board, which is why I made point I made.

The choices that were made in 2003 limit us to a Microsoft windows Hosting platform. That means it costs more, and delivers much less performance, than a modern open source Linux based platform. We run into problems in a number of areas...

• searching, which times out frequently, see this thread... Member feedback for more info.
  • Limits on memory due to the hosting package, which is why we limit picture sizes
  • Different behaviour between the full member portion and the forum part of the site, and different login codes.

I've been in touch with Jim Villers on his site and its software, but actually, I am a software professional myself and can think of 2 or 3 proven, more user friendly packages that would be great. However, moving all of the content on the current board would be key, and in order to move, I'd need to remove the dependency of the site on Microsoft Windows (which constitutes all of the member pages). However, this is also a hobby for me -- not an occupation, and I don't get paid for it. So I have to balance the amount of effort I put in with the real benefit it brings the community.

The last few posts on the Member feedback thread document what I'm planning to do to the site. But honestly over 2000 members have coped just fine with the system for the last 4 years, and the actual real benefit to the group is very small. Now if I were paid my usual rate for this work, I could do it more quickly  ;)  (note: I'm actually quite expensive, because clients value my expertise highly and also because I charge in €)

So all, please bear with us whilst I slowly get ready to move to a new site. In the mean time it would be great to post pictures that we absolutely need to keep locally...

Peter
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 23:09:28 by vanesp »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Re: Facilities of this site and its future...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 17:30:22 »
Peter, please don't misconstrue my comments.  I appreciate your efforts and know a fair amount of work is involved.  I'm just expressing my personal viewpoints, which you may take or leave.  This is an excellent board with great members and excellent content.  The 190 SL forum www.190SLgroup.com is Vbulletin software which I'm also familiar with at www.bimmerfest.com

John
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

psmith

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 01:21:12 »
As to the future, the Technical Manuel wiki is great.  A few days ago I had read all the latest posts in the forums and decided to browse the Technical Manuel.  I was a little intimidated, but I added some content to the Brake Systems page, because I have been reading up on that lately.  I added the description and function portion and it was not hard at all.  If everyone adds a little content and/or reviews and edits other sections, we'll have a complete resource in no time.  As for logging in, it is the same as your Member login, not your Forum login.  For Member login your user name is your email address and your password may or may not be the same as your forum password.

Pete S.

Bob G

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 21:37:07 »
I will admit to buying the club book from the 190SL group. In fact I mentioned it  many times in our post that I was impressed with the content and history about the model. I had high hopes we would follow soon.
And I think we are on that road.
My contribution when I figure out how to present it is the Art of auto detailing made simple. how is that for a title?
Bob Geco

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 21:39:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bob G

I will admit to buying the club book from the 190SL group. In fact I mentioned it  many times in our post that I was impressed with the content and history about the model. I had high hopes we would follow soon.
And I think we are on that road.
My contribution when I figure out how to present it is the Art of auto detailing made simple. how is that for a title?
Bob Geco

Is there some shame in buying it?  You should check out the second Volume.

How about sharing some of your detailing secrets on another thread?  I'm always open to new ideas.  I've been a fan of www.carcareonline.com for awhile now and there are some good detailing articles.  Larry (the owner) however, is not a "power" guy.  I don't do everything by hand.

John
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 21:42:22 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE