Author Topic: What interstate/kirkland battery fits our cars?  (Read 6957 times)

toml

What interstate/kirkland battery fits our cars?
« on: January 03, 2008, 20:43:17 »
What interstate battery model fits our cars?

alternately, I have nothing against saving money at Costco if Kirkland batteries are okay (any experiences out there?). But I think I will need to tell THEM the model/dimensions for a 40 year old SL, not the other way around.

so, if anyone is running a kirkland or an interstate battery in their car, would you mind checking under your hood at letting me know the exact model number/specs you're using? It will make my matching battery-to-car task that much easier. Thanks.

TomL, Portland, OR
1964 230SL Euro 4-speed Silver+Black w/ Red Interior
1973 280C DOHC Metalic Blue w/ Tan interior

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: What interstate/kirkland battery fits our cars?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 21:11:55 »
I believe that Al Leiffring gave you a specific answer in reply to your previous inquiry.  The battery should be a Group 24 F.  This is a universal battery size, shape, and post arrangement coding, used by all manufacturers.  The important thing is that, when the battery posts are on the side facing you, the positive (+) post is to your right and the negative (-) post to your left.  This way, when the battery is installed in the engine compartment the posts will be on the side of the battery facing the rear of the car, with the positive (+) post closest to the distributor and the negative (-) post closest to the edge of the hood opening.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 21:13:33 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 00:30:20 »
Yesterday, there was an inquiry about batteries.  I believe that Michael Salemi replied and mentioned Optima batteries.  

Today, the original poster could not find that thread, and asked again.  Someone replied with a photo of a Mercedes battery.

Now I cannot find either of those threads, and this new topic has started.

Is this (1) just my imagination, or (2) just my system, or (3) threads deleted by the administrator, or (4) are we losing threads over the past couple of days?!  (Actually, we seem to have fewer posts than normal lately, but I put that down to the holidays.)

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 00:33:27 by DavidAPease »
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

Bob G

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 01:59:39 »
I  replaced my interstate Megatron with a AAA battery works great battery cover works and it has a road assistance warrenty. Plus these guy try very hard to please. the AAA person I got helped me remove the battery which is not easy takes two people and install it. No extra charge!!! I was ellated and  very happy. $120.00 cost no extra fee to deliver it and again I was  very happy with the extra service.

Bob Geco

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 03:51:53 »
David:

The battery question was first posted on the Electric Forum (where it belongs). When the poster could not find it, the same was posted on General Discussion forum. We are trying to thin out General Discussion and reserve it for posts that do not belong in any of the new forums.

The second posting of the battery question (on Gneral Discussion)had a reply with a photo. The reply and photo were moved to the original posting on the Electric forum. The General Discussion posting was removed as it was a duplicate and on the wrong forum.

Now the question has re-appeared in a third iteration. This is due to our getting used to the new "specialty" forums.  

All posters: please look to see if a post belongs in one of the new  forums before posting on General Discussion. If you can't find your post you can search for it or go to your profile and click on the link to your recent posts. A poster can subcribe to his message to learn if replies have been made.

Richard M, Admin
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:55:32 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).