Author Topic: Leather steering wheel cover.  (Read 4157 times)

Bob G

Leather steering wheel cover.
« on: December 11, 2007, 20:50:43 »
To start off , let me say the color red sets off the
w113 SL like no other. My father put a leather steering wheel cover on his black wheel. I changed it to ivory because I felt for California it gets too hot to touch on a warm sunny day. Now that doesn't change my opinion of this modification because it looks swell with many dark interiors mine is also dark MBZ tex black on 158 white grey.
I also added peroid coco mat unlike the orginal ones with no backing and lots of shedding the new ones look pretty and give you that correct look. I was told by the manufactor we can get a trunk coco mat as well if I send them a pattern, however I like the bland rubber trunk mat, so no can do this extra feather.
Their used to be a company around the corner  from my dads called Vildem B Hann auto accessories.  The famous and not so famous used to shop there names like Paul Neuman , and others perrosed the  store for fine accessories for their expensive automobiles. today that art of accessorizing ones automobile is losted to the dealer or many magazines.
Red as well be Red just so long as the people looking aren't the cops!!!
Bob Geco

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Leather steering wheel cover.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 15:53:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bob G

I also added peroid coco mat unlike the orginal ones with no backing and lots of shedding the new ones look pretty and give you that correct look. I was told by the manufactor we can get a trunk coco mat as well if I send them a pattern, however I like the bland rubber trunk mat, so no can do this extra feather.

Hey, Bob -

Is your car an early 230SL with the vertical spare?  The guy I got my coco mats from (who advertises in the STAR) does have a trunk mat pattern for the later style 113 trunk.  I was so taken with the quality and fit of the mats he supplied that I inquired if he could do mats for my wife's MGB-GT.  Not only did he have a pattern for the early narrow tunnel MGB floor, but he also had a pattern for the rear luggage deck of the GT model.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Re: Leather steering wheel cover.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 17:31:36 »
quote:

The guy I got my coco mats from (who advertises in the STAR) does have a trunk mat pattern for the later style 113 trunk.  I was so taken with the quality and fit of the mats he supplied that I inquired if he could do mats for my wife's MGB-GT.  Not only did he have a pattern for the early narrow tunnel MGB floor, but he also had a pattern for the rear luggage deck of the GT model.

Is that Jeff at www.cocomats.com ?  Great stuff.

John Lewenauer
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 17:31:54 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE