Author Topic: Water inlets  (Read 5068 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Water inlets
« on: December 06, 2007, 20:27:07 »
So, one time I had a contractor out to estimate replacing some wood that had succumbed to dry rot. Before he sized up the material he needed to replace, he started looking around. I said "what ya looking for?" He answered, "well before I fix it I'd like to figure out why it happened...". Oh yea, I never thought of that...

So what does this have to do with Pagodas? I'm not sure but I think a lot...Heres another story: today I had to go get my car back from the mechanic (water pump). It was raining very hard...

Hang on, let me back-up... For much of my car's early life it evidently suffered from too much water in places it shouldn't have water. Yet, only after my driving it several years did I really discover the extent of the rust and rotten stuff under the carpets. My solution was to patch it best I could and swear to never get the car wet again! I also replaced all the rubber I could get to. Now back to today: so I went to get my car. It had been in the pouring rain maybe an hour. I got in and dang if my driver's side carpet wasn't soaked.

When I got home I pulled the carpet and had a look. Sure enough, water was streaming down the footwell just above the steering column. I noticed that the rubber hose that drains from the cowl is shot and the hoseclamp is rusted bigtime. Moreover, I am thinking that it's been that way for many, many years! Since I rarely had water hit the car in 10 years, it never leaked. My theory is that the rotten hose is the primary culprit to my rusted floor. Sound reasonable?

Oh yeah, and where can I get one?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

psmith

Re: Water inlets
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 21:28:29 »
Hi James,

I think you're on to something, I believe that's the major cause of rusty floors in these cars.  As you know, I'm getting my floors repaired after the holidays, but I'm going to fix those *%!& hoses first.  Every time I wash the car I get drips on my feet.  I've been told that other sources of water in that location can come from the windshield wiper seals or the windshield gasket.

Pete S.

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 04:06:39 »
" Food for thought "

Thank you,
I will be checking as soon as it dries of here in London UK.

Kemal
280 SL Manual 69
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 04:56:51 »
Hey James,

Check the outlets in the engine bay. There should be black rubber covers which can be full of debris, leaves etc which can block the flow of water.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 07:03:29 »
Hi James,

Having recently taken apart my car, I can say that there are many places that water can come into our cars...  Going from memory and attached pictures here are some of the possible sources of water inlets ...

1. Left & right underdash hoses that drain the water from the fresh air scoop area.  (you already mentioned this. Replacement hose is std heater hose, nothing special...).  I read somewhere that when you wash the car, or if in heavy rain.... to close the fresh air scoop to avoid water in car.  Not sure if this is accurate, especially when the windshield starts fogging up on those rainy days...
2. Wiper transmission "pins" that go through the firewall.  I noted a rubber washer on the exterior of the body, as well as a rubber washer on the inside of the body.
3.If you have A/C, extra hole that was cut in on pass side foot well to drain A/C
4. Carpet/Mat snap screws (screws go through floor)
5. Kick down switch (has rubber washer)
6. Extra hole in floor next to kick down switch for wire
7. Another hole next to kick down switch. I think this is for manual clutch cylinder?  Not sure what hole is for?) Has rubber plug if not being used
8. Transmission plate bolts.  Holes go through floor
9. Screws that hold the brackets for the main fuel, brake lines go through the floor.  These have small rubber washers.
10. Bolts that hold the wiper motor have rubber washers
11. Windshield rubber (already mentioned)
12. There is a large rubber washer (seal) where the steering shaft cowl connects to the floor
13. Rubber seal around the fuse box
14. Rubber plug covering access hole for heater valve
15. Screws that hold the muffler down-pipes heat shield go all the way through the floor.  Another viable source of water into footwell...
16. Many holes, rubber plugs on firewall where water could come in (?) if rain was extreme and water ran down firewall...

Download Attachment: watersource1.jpg
83.4 KB

Download Attachment: watersource2.jpg
83.4 KB

Download Attachment: watersource3.jpg
80.78 KB

Download Attachment: watersource4.jpg
82.73 KB

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 07:09:18 by bpossel »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 07:31:00 »
More arrows than a Glenn Ford western.

I also found that my drain hoses at the front of the car were shot. I also found the rubber drain plugs/balls into the engine bay blocked. Since you're checking there, another area not in James' excellent post, below, where water can enter the car unseen is via the softtop storage box drainage holes. The soft top drainage holes take water from the softtop box and out through the bottom of the car where the water comes out under the sills. They can block inside the car thus allowing water to collect. To check, just remove the chrome pieces where the soft top pivots/is bolted to the car then the 3 or 4 scerws that hold the vinyl covered metal place in place. You should then be able to see the holes inside the panel. Pour some water into the soft top box and check its route through the panel and out of the sill, below. I intended - I think - to put some tubing in there at some point.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 15:16:44 »
Thanks all. Bob, your photos are awesome! Informative (and a little depressing -- since I know many of my various grommets/seals are shoddy at best)...

Anyway, I replaced the hoses today. The passenger's side was not bad but I replaced it anyway. The driver's side looked like this:

Download Attachment: Slide1.JPG
46.32 KB

Unfortunately, I am missing a number of plugs/grommets. However, for now the drains are clear in the front. I will have to check on the backs...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

glennard

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 16:35:45 »
Bob Possel covered the Field pretty well.  The dash wood pieces at the windshield suffer from water coming in thru the rubber wind screen gasket-particularly in the 111 coupes and finbacks of the sixties.  A little RTX silicon solved the problem on the 111s.  Clean the residual dust out of the gasket and silicon it - neatly.