Author Topic: Seat Removal  (Read 7407 times)

psmith

Seat Removal
« on: December 01, 2007, 23:02:10 »
I am trying to remove my seats and I was able to get three of the 4 bolts  out that hold the seat rails down removed without too much trouble.  However, the last one, in the rear outer position, has some sort of a clip underneath that protects a square flat nut.  I cannot get anything on it to keep it from spinning.  I have searched the forum and the BBB but have not found anything about it.  Can someone tell me the secret to removing them?  I have just about used up all the persuasive words in my  vocabulary!

Thanks

Pete S.

ejm

Re: Seat Removal
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 05:19:09 »
This an encapsulated nut and once the cage no longer stops it turning you generally have to resort to some kind of violence. Try jamming something like a screw driver or small chisel between the nut and the side of the seat mount to stop it turning, but if the nut is seized on a hacksaw blade between the runner and mount will do it. slow work but lucky its only one bolt.

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 07:34:04 »
You might be able to get underneath the bracket that holds the back fastening position up off the floor and grab the insert with a pair of pliers. It's open toward the inside.

My problem was the front ones. I couldn't get the seats far enough back to get a socket on the bolt, so I had to use an open end wrench and work it one sixth of a turn at a time.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:53:43 »
Have you noticed that the front and rear seat bolts are different sizes, or is this just my car?

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Klaus

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 10:10:13 »
The special hint from Pagodentreff.de is as follows:
- adjust seat position all the way to the front
- remove rear bolts
- adjust seat position all the way to the rear
- slightly lift seat at the rear upwards
- now seat can be moved further to the rear
- now front bolts are accessible for a small ratchet

They claim 3 to 5 minutes per seat.

Klaus
1969 280 SL

psmith

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 10:57:19 »
Thanks everyone!  I got it out.  The area is so tight inside the bracket that once I got the pliers in there I couldn't open them enough to grab the nut, and a screwdriver wasn't enough to hold it.  A 10mm open ended wrench jammed in there finally did it.  Klaus, that's a good tip for the front bolts.  I will use the Pagodentreff method on the other seat.

Thanks again.

Pete S.

Anfinn

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 11:03:27 »
I have a different problem.
I cannot get the seat moved backwords or forwards, to loosen the mounting bolts.
The locking hand-lever releases from the notch, but the seat seems to be corroded on the runners.[:(!]
Any suggestions anyone?

Anfinn

'andy280

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 14:12:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

Have you noticed that the front and rear seat bolts are different sizes, or is this just my car?

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Yes, M8 on the front, M6 on the rear.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 21:12:38 »
Hello Andy,

Soak the runners with penetrant. Try having someone push forward from behind the seat while you are  in the seat with the lever up trying to move it forward.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally