Author Topic: Hood Torsion Bar  (Read 7692 times)

bpossel

Hood Torsion Bar
« on: November 21, 2007, 05:18:43 »
Hello All!

I would like to remove the torsion bar from my hood (and be able to replace it again...) in order for the body shop to prep and paint my hood correctly.

I currently have the torsion bar held up (under tension) close to the hood using an "s" hook attached to the hole on the left side of the inner hood.

Does anyone know the "trick" with un-installing this very high tension bar, and then the "trick" to re-install it again correctly so that it functions?

:) Thank you very much!
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 05:20:10 by bpossel »

DavidBrough

Re: Hood Torsion Bar
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 07:05:15 »
Hi Bob,
I removed and re-installed my tension bar about 18 months ago and don’t really remember having any particular problems.  You have to be careful when unwinding it to pull the supporting end clear of the hood so as not to damage the paint work and I think I just taped a piece of cloth over the area to protect it and used a little force to pull the end clear of the hood as it unwinds. I think I may have fully unbolted the mounting covers first but can’t actually remember. When the tension is released it is a simple case of manoeuvring the rod through the holes and reversing the process to re-install. The opposite end of the rod just has a small right angle bend on it which takes a bit if jiggling to pull through the holes as mine was quite long but overall it’s a fairly easy job just be careful when unwinding and rewinding.

Good luck.

David Brough
1969 280SL Auto with A/C

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 07:40:27 »
Hi David,

Thanks!  I knew that it couldnt really be too difficult, since this had to be accomplished in mass as these cars went down the assembly line.  I guess I will just need to count the number of revolutions as I unwind it, so as to be able to re-install the tension correctly?

I assume that the tension comes from winding the bar, and this is why the bar is somewhat bowed in the middle under the hood?  Correct?

Kind Regards,
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 07:41:43 by bpossel »

al_lieffring

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 08:04:34 »
Bob

The torsion spring is only wound up a little more than 180 degrees. when in the relaxed position the lever usualy points straight up to the top of the hood.  When I remove hoods for service I usualy relive the tension because of the chance of damage from the spring coming unhooked and swinging around and hitting the top of the hood,

Al Lieffring
66 230SL

230slhouston

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 19:06:45 »
This question could not have come at a more approriate time, I am assebling my hood again, it was stripped when I bought the car.

I assembled the torsion but a quick question, on the far end (right side), which direction does the 90 bend fit, I installed it towards the back the hood (windscreen end). The hood does not stay open.

Any idea where I can buy the nylon flange that that finished the trosion bar into the hood?

Thanks
MBP.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 00:26:30 »
Release the tension before loosening the nylon holders.  I replaced the torsion bar on my hood two years ago when the car was painted.  I don't remember where I bought the bar, but the right end 90 degree part on the new bar pointed in the opposite direction from the old bar.  It points to the front of the car so all of the pressure inside the channel is to the bottom, rather than toward the skin of the hood.  I didn't realize that when I first installed it, it didn't have nearly enough tension to hold the hood up.  

I took the hood into a carpeted room and put an additional towel on the floor to protect the paint.  It helps to have a friend help with holding the hood when installing and winding the bar.

When putting the hood back on the car, be careful of that S hook and the bar.  If it gets loose, the unwind will not only scrape the paint on the edge of the hood, if your knuckles are in the way it'll break them with alacrity.

The nylon bits are available from Miller's, Bud's, the Benz Bin, and dealers.  They're about $17 a set.  Inspect the grooved cradle on the left side body as well.  If it's too worn, the prop end of the bar could slip out causing the hood to drop too easily.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:11:23 by Raymond »
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

bpossel

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 04:52:48 »
Thanks Ray, MBP, Al,

Your comments help a lot!
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)