Author Topic: Removing AirCondition  (Read 5817 times)

Anfinn

Removing AirCondition
« on: November 19, 2007, 13:11:57 »
I have a 1970 280SL with what I assume is an factory fitted AC.
(The code is on the plate in the engine bay)
As the car now is in a different climate to where it was originally sold - Florida to Norway - and heating is more important than cooling, I am considering removing the AC.
Is this a problem?
Is the "normal" heater matrix installed when the car gets AC?

'andy280

seattle_Jerry

Re: Removing AirCondition
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 15:54:44 »
I suspect they all came the same from the factory and the dealers added the A/C. Remember to take it to a shop to get the freon sucked out prior to removal.

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C

DavidBrough

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 15:59:39 »
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. You will find lots of useful information here and many knowledgeable people who can help although most are more knowledgeable than me. However, I am pretty sure that A/C was never a factory option just a dealer fit option and all cars were produced with a separate heater matrix.  You should be able to tell quite easily as the heater is buried in the dash and takes a lot of getting at whilst the A/C evaporator should be a bolt on unit under the passenger side. If this is the case then removal should be straight forward if a little time consuming. The main issue will probably be removal and refitting of the bonnet to take out the condenser and some fiddling with the alternator which was moved on some A/C cars. Have a good look round and post again with some pictures if you need any specific help.

Regards

David Brough
1969 280Sl Auto with A/C

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 17:06:16 »
Hello Andy,

Welcome, Bob Possel on this list has just removed the original AC from his car. He can give you a lot of first hand experience also.

The interior parts are fairly straight forward. Under the hood you will have a job. The AC compressor bracket is complex and a lot of work to remove. In addition the alternator is relocated in a different postition and you will need some different length bolts to re-install your water pump and misc other hardware. You will need the alternator bracket for non AC cars and the hardware.

I like to remove the hood  before starting such a back breaking project. It makes the work so much easier.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 17:08:22 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 22:21:26 »
Hi Andy,

You can remove the A/C vent housing and blower, located inside the car, without removing the other components from the engine bay.  But to complete the entire A/C removal from the engine bay, you have to remove the compressor, dryer, evaporator and condenser.

This then also requires replacing the water pump with the longer housing version. You will also need to remove the very large bracket that holds the compressor and replace it with a smaller bracket which holds the alternator in a lower position.  You will also need a different pulley with one less grove since the belt for the compresser will no longer be needed.

In addition, you will need some additional rubber grommets to plug the holes in your firewall where the dryer hoses used to connect.

It is a lot of work!  But if you like to work on your own engine, it is worth it!  I found it so much easier without the A/C system installed.

Good Luck and keep use posted,

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:57:37 by bpossel »

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 07:52:22 »
If the AC unit works, you can probably pay for part or all of the conversion by selling it on eBay...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 21:04:45 »
Joe is right.  Removing the bracket is a major pain.  It's hard enough just to get at the fourth bolt on the back of the monster York compressor. That one bolt took me half an hour and all my patience.

If you are just looking for functionality, you can remove the drier, hoses, compressor, and belts and leave the bracket in place.  The Alternator will be just fine up top and you don't have to replace the water pump.  You'll need a shorter belt and use the idler pulley to adjust it, but you'll only need one belt to turn the fan.  You'll want rubber plugs for the firewall holes that the hoses go through.  This short cut will save you hours and if you ever want to go back to an A/C, you can install a Sanden compressor, new hoses and drier and be good to go.  

You could remove the small second stage condenser from under the bumper and leave the empty main condenser in front of the radiator until you need to remove the radiator for some other reason.  Engine cooling shouldn't be a problem in Norway as air flow through the radiator would still be sufficient with no heat coming off an empty condenser.

On the other hand...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Anfinn

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 04:56:54 »
Thanks for all feed-back.
I'll go for a minimum solution, removing the unit inside, -which is my main objective-, and what comes off easily in the engine compartment.
I was wrong abt. there being a code indicating it had been fitted at the factory, so the std. heating equipment should be there OK.
The unit was emptied of the refrigerant befor shipping, so that is no problem.
Thanks again.

'andy280

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 14:11:52 »
Anfinn,
  The factory code cards can indicate that our vehicles were built with AC. The AC units were often built by third party suppliers. I am not sure of who actually made the modifications to the engines or installed the parts.
  The AC unit is not connected tpo the heating system. Removal of the interior parts is very easy. There is a barcket at the back of the footwell and several screws near the from of the interior unit. The fron screws can be accessed by removing several plugs which are visible on the bottom of the front of the interior unit. You may want to remove the inserts where the air comes out to better see the screws. I hope this information helps.
Ted 1969 280SL w/ air