Author Topic: Crankshaft Damper & Counterweight Question  (Read 3626 times)

DavidBrough

Crankshaft Damper & Counterweight Question
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:20:19 »
Hi Guys,

So, I decided to fix an oil leak by replacing my front crank oil seal when to the rousing chorus of “pay more attention next time” I managed to remove the crankshaft damper from the counterweight without first marking their relative positions and so, whilst hiding behind the sofa with my head down, I have to ask, is this very drastic?

I do know the correct position of the counterweight to the crankshaft as I started the process with the engine on TDC but now with the counterweight off I find that the mounting bolts are symmetrical and it will go back in any of 6 possible positions.

Any comments about removing the crank and having the whole plot rebalanced will involve me remaining behind the sofa for some considerable time to come only being coaxed out by reassurances that something else is possible.

Help.

David Brough
1969 280SL Auto with A/C

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Crankshaft Damper & Counterweight Question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 17:18:58 »
Hello David,

Do not despair!  The location of the dampner is of no consequence. These crankshafts all have symetrically balanced parts (vibration dampners, and flywheels). The front crankshaft counterweight is meant to be installed only one way. The two pin holes ares slightly off set and can be correctly installed only one way. The "counterweight" is not actually a counterweight on these engines it is symetrical in mass and balanced by itself as well as in the whole assembly. The same is with the flywheel.

Early W113 engines, (all 230SL M127 engiens) had counterbalanced flywheels, and front counterweights.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

DavidBrough

Re: Crankshaft Damper & Counterweight Question
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 01:55:15 »
Thanks Joe, I'll come out from behind the sofa now.

David Brough
1969 280 SL Auto with A/C