Author Topic: Paint stencil/mask for hub caps  (Read 16655 times)

pauldridge

Paint stencil/mask for hub caps
« on: November 18, 2007, 20:11:54 »
Seems like somewhere on ebay or ?  I saw pre-cut paint stick-on masks for sale for repainting the standard hubcaps... Anyone have a source, or idea on how to do this without looking like crap?

thanks
Phil

230SL, 59 Jag MK IX, 65 Stingray Roadster, 89 Carrera Cabriolet

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Paint stencil/mask for hub caps
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 20:33:40 »
Phil,

They are available now and then, but the pros today won't really use them.  First, you need to have generally 4 or more since once you get the paint set up to spray, you want to shoot all the covers at once.  If you have one mask, you can't easily do that.

Second, you don't get a crisp line with the mask, not as crisp as you do with hand masking.

I've had wheel covers painted by 3 different painters and none would use the mask.  They all preferred to mask by hand.  Some used tape, and others used this liquid mask that paints on and peels off.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 20:37:38 »
Hey Phil, any chance I can talk you into painting your wheels code number 332? A lovely shade of midnight blue...then you could do mine too!!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 22:48:50 »
Get the special masking tape from the automotive paint store. Tell them what you are doing and they will give you the right one.

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C

pauldridge

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 19:42:40 »
James... I'll paint anything, any color!  Just don't ask me to mask off 8 covers instead of 4!

quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Hey Phil, any chance I can talk you into painting your wheels code number 332? A lovely shade of midnight blue...then you could do mine too!!

James
63 230SL

pauldridge

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 19:45:55 »
Thanks everyone...
I'll take that advice... I'm thinking about getting some adhesive vinyl, the type they use to make signs with.. stick it over the entire wheel cover, then carefully cut out the paintable part with an exacto knife.

jsaylor

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 12:25:27 »
Phil,

I have a silicone stencil for early (small) hub caps.  I bought it on EBay some time ago from a guy in Germany.  It has two parts and just lays on the hub caps and fits quite well.  The only tricky part is that it is thick (1"+-).

Contact me and I can arrange a loan.

jsaylor@aloha.net

Jim Saylor
Kauai, Hawaii
'65 230SL

Bob G

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 02:39:09 »
Speaking of painting hub-caps, I found my dad had four unique hub-caps with an extra bigger pronounced center star. they have some preasure dents in them and I decided to learn the art of bumping metal so I got my self a body hammer and dolly set with a video and book on technique from Eastwood tools.
Since this is a first for me if they turn out half decent I plan to paint them with the factory mask kit I got many years ago on e-bay. This is going to challenge my eye and hand and mine so it may  make a good article later on. Wish me luck!
Bob Geco

graphic66

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 18:41:54 »
I use this stencil  http://www.samstagsales.com/mbref.htm  It works really great. Watch out cutting masking tape on you hubcaps, if they are plated this can scratch the plating.