Author Topic: Interior Resto Questions  (Read 6180 times)

Paddy_Crow

Interior Resto Questions
« on: November 18, 2007, 16:13:40 »
For those of you that have dismantled an interior (or just know), I have a few questions.

First, what did MB put in the W113 in the form of padding under the carpets? And what did they use for adhesive? I'm convinced what I'm cleaning up in my car is not original. I can best describe it as a combination of heavy roofing felt and tar.

Next, how do you remove the door sill moldings? I can't find any fasteners, it appears to be clinched on. I need to remove it in order to get the carpet right by the doors out and to put in the new carpet.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

sjiatrou

Re: Interior Resto Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 17:01:25 »
The "felt and tar" sounds like the original soundproofing.  The best way (that I found) to get it up is to use a hair dryer (or heat gun) and wedge it up with a paint scraper, most of it should peel right up.

When I replaced my carpeting I did not remove the chrome strip (same issue as you, I couldn't figure out how to do it).  I discovered that the carpet slides into a groove in the molding so there is really no need to remove the piece.  The carpet should come unfinished down the sides so you just have to carfully trim it to size and slide it into the groove.  I did not use any glue on that portion, I glued it down the sides of the sill and it seems to be holding up quite well.

Steve

Steve
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 17:32:01 »
One reason I think it's not original is that it is cut around some "patches" that I'm pretty certain are the work of a DIY'er working on his transmission. The one on top of the hump I'm not sure of, but the other one has all the trademarks of some guy fixing his own car.

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 18:19:51 »
Tough choice ...get it hot and gooey and it will peel off or get it really really cold and chip it off. You will need to get it pretty toasty to peel.

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C

jsaylor

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 19:25:17 »
I believe your roofing felt and tar is original.  Not easy to remove.  since I was replacing or repainting floors anyway a got sloppy with a wire cup brush on an angle grinder for the hard to remove (melted) sections, then gasoline for cleanup.  This method is VERY messy :x

Aloha,

Jim Saylor
Kauai, Hawaii
'65 230SL

bpossel

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 19:26:18 »
The 2 "patches" on the transmission tunnel are original and are access pannels.  These pannels are for accessing the transmission and also for assisitng with install and removal of the starter.

The felt is also original.

Refer to my posting on "repaint" and you will see my transmission tunnel with the same pannels and felt...

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 21:08:30 »
Wow, I would have sworn the one on the side was an aftermarket hack job. Thanks for the heads up, I feel a little better now!

The heatgun works pretty well for step 1, thanks for that tip. What's working for step 2 is some chemical paint remover, it doesn't seem to be attacking the original paint. Even if it does, I plan on painting the floors anyway before dynamatting it. Anyway, step 3 is to wipe down with paint thinner.

No thanks on the gasoline. Chemical stripper is nowhere near as volatile as gas.

bpossel

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 21:34:23 »
Here's a picture of my same area...

Download Attachment: access.jpg
81.23 KB

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 13:35:07 »
Progress is slow, but steady. After step 1 with the heat gun and scraper, we begin to see the most beautiful sight. NO RUST!!!