Author Topic: Caliper Kit  (Read 10160 times)

230slhouston

Caliper Kit
« on: November 11, 2007, 17:50:23 »
I am in the process of checking out my 230sl brakes since the car was standing for 20 years.

I ordered  front caliper kits  from Autohausaz without removing them first. On inspection of the kit and visual with the pads removed, it looks like the caliper has one side with two smaller pistons and one side with one larger  piston. Without stripping it, is this a fair statement? The kit looks like it is for one with one piston per pad?

Anyone have any pics for a stripped caliper?

The rear has shoes, I replaced the wheel cylinders.

Thanks MBP.

glennard

Re: Caliper Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 19:25:35 »
Hi, 230SLs generally have Ate or Gurling calipers, (I's thinks aso!.)  Each front caliper has 2 opposing, same size pistons.   Rears are drums.  My junkyard rescues mostly have had stuck pistons.  Take them off and force the pistons back into the caliper with a vise(3 o'clock and alternately 9 o'clock).  Connect them back up to a brake line and pump them out half way-limited by 2 C-clamps.  Repeat until they move easily.
Happy Pagoda-ing  :)

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 20:39:07 »
Hello,

The early calipers did have three pistons and different brake pads?
Parts are a little difficult to find. The later two piston calipers can replace these. They bolt right up with no modifications.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 20:40:45 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

230slhouston

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 21:17:16 »
Joe and Glennard,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess there has to be a catch somewhere.

MBP

George Des

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 21:22:21 »
Some of the early 230SL's like mine-an Italian ZF-5 Speed-- had the Girling calipers with the 2-1 piston set up. I had such a hard time sourcing parts for these that I eventually replaced with the ATEs about 20 years ago. They were direct bolt up replacements for the Girlings and rebuild kits and pads are much easier to come by.

George Des

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 16:56:33 »
Same experience! (ordered from AutohausAZ and got the ATE 1-1 setup caliper rebuild kit, PRIOR to visual on my calipers, which revealed the Girling 2-1 setup instead)  Now I don't feel so bad  :D

I believe caliper rebuild kits for the 2-1 Girling setup are still available directly from Lucas-Girling (with a non-MB part number). I ordered a set not too long ago. I'll try to dig up the Girling part number when I get home.

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

230slhouston

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 21:58:30 »
Waqas,
There is solace in the fact that we are not unique.

Please let me know were you bought the Girling kit from.

Thanks
MBP

George Des

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 23:27:57 »
As I recall, the other problem I had with my Girling calipers was with the pistons themselves--even though the seal kits were available, the pistons were pretty well corroded up and needed to be replaced--that was where I had the problem of sourcing the parts. It was just easier at that point to go with the new ATEs.

George Des

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 01:06:03 »
George, you are correct-- pistons are virtually non-existent (I remember seeing a somewhat surface-rusty "NOS" set on fleabay a few years ago with a buy-it-now of $450 for the set of six pistons-- got a nervous laugh out of me)

MBP, I bought the kit from Ray Paul some time back (don't quite remember how much, but somewhere in the $30-$50 range), and it came in a small zip-lock bag with a label printed with the following:

AS SP2511
BBGIF
MADE IN ENGLAND

I believe "SP2511" is the actual Lucas-Girling part number, and these pistons were also used on some other cars of the era (Jaguar, etc).

The kit came with six "O" rings (one for each piston: two large and four small) and dust-covers (two large, and two combo "8" shaped covers for the 4 smaller pistons).

Hope this helps,

Waqas in Austin, Texas

230slhouston

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 21:55:54 »
Thanks for the information. Seems like kits and pistons are readily available. I do not have any problem with mine right now, they function ok but with the car standing for so long, I want to put in new kits. If this proves too much of a hassle, I will put in ATE calipers.

MBP.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 05:26:29 »
A couple of things to add to the pile.

On my 280 the pistons had a very slight relief cut into the surface where the piston contacts the pad tthis helps prevent brake squeal by pushing on the trailing edge of the pad a little harder than the leading edge. Check the orienation before you pull the pistons.

We all know regular brake fluid changes are good to prevent corrosion in the brakes. ATE make a racing fluid called Super Blue that will perform to far higher levels than we will ever ask of it. The neat part is they also make Super Gold so when you change your fliud you can tell at a glance if you have truly flushed all the old fluid out.

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 11:20:06 »
Whilst we're on this topic, does anyone have a good link (a-la Jeff C. and his awesome rear-axle thread and links) with good caliper rebuilding advice for the DIY type?  Where does one get specs on acceptable piston clearance, etc?

Waqas in Austin, Texas

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 09:57:01 »
Some Girling brake reading......

http://index.php?topic=439
http://index.php?topic=3318
http://index.php?topic=3420
http://index.php?topic=4172
http://index.php?topic=4524

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL: arabian gray, natural leather, euro, auto, both tops
1994 E420: pearl black, black leather, auto