Author Topic: Dash Air Vent  (Read 9823 times)

bpossel

Dash Air Vent
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:44:41 »
Does anyone have any suggestions on removal of the dash air vent?

On my '71, the vents have 2 pins on the rear.  The pins push into what looks like a small metal "pinch ring" sandwiched in the dash.  I have tried to push on the rear of the pin using a hole punch, but so far no luck.

I dont want to push, tap, too hard or these pins may break.

Any tips are appreciated!
Thanks,
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

jeffc280sl

Re: Dash Air Vent
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 15:56:34 »
Hi Bob,

I just so happen to have a couple of the spring steel clips that hold the side vents in place laying around.  Here's what it looks like

Download Attachment: Bob 003.jpg
19.18 KB

The clip is cylindical with an expansion slit running on one side.  The top of it is a little wider than the bottom.  It is placed in a hole in the dash.  As the pin from the side vent pushes in it expands against the dash hole.  The compression created by the clip, pin and dash hole keep the vent in place.  You will be able to see one of pins/clip in place when you remove the tach at about 7 or 8 o'clock on the underside of the dash.  I would start with this one and try to gently pry the vent from the front while pushing the pin from inside the dash.  The only way I know to remove it is to wiggle the vent gently back and forth a little at a time until the pin that pin pops out.  With that one out the rest of the vet is a little more free to wiggle and the second pin should come out,  Just gently pry from the front whilee wiggling the vent back and forth.  Takes time but it will come out>

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 18:33:37 »
Hi Jeff,

Thanks!  I got 'em out!  I used alittle "Deep Creep" on each pin.  With all the dash pieces out, I was able to lay on the floor and look up into the dash.  I then used a hole punch and carefully tapped on the rear of the pin.  It finally popped out!  No broken pins...  I then used a pair of pliers and pinched the spring clips and removed and bagged.
Your pic and post helped!
Thanks again,
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by jeffc280sl

Hi Bob,

I just so happen to have a couple of the spring steel clips that hold the side vents in place laying around.  Here's what it looks like

Download Attachment: Bob 003.jpg
19.18 KB

The clip is cylindical with an expansion slit running on one side.  The top of it is a little wider than the bottom.  It is placed in a hole in the dash.  As the pin from the side vent pushes in it expands against the dash hole.  The compression created by the clip, pin and dash hole keep the vent in place.  You will be able to see one of pins/clip in place when you remove the tach at about 7 or 8 o'clock on the underside of the dash.  I would start with this one and try to gently pry the vent from the front while pushing the pin from inside the dash.  The only way I know to remove it is to wiggle the vent gently back and forth a little at a time until the pin that pin pops out.  With that one out the rest of the vet is a little more free to wiggle and the second pin should come out,  Just gently pry from the front whilee wiggling the vent back and forth.  Takes time but it will come out>

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

jeffc280sl

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 20:44:55 »
Bob,

Glad things worked out.  Like many things, its difficult to describe in a post.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 21:19:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

...  I then used a pair of pliers and pinched the spring clips and removed and bagged...

Hi Bob,
I have reused these round spring clips too but was not satisfied, they don't have a good grip any longer. I was told that they are intended to be used only once.  Fortunately they are still available. For my 230SL that p/n is 0019889078, and I believe for the the 280SL it is 0019889378 but you might want to check this.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

rwh

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Mateo
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 23:41:04 »
Any idea where these clips can be sourced?  I just checked with the Classic Center and they said they were no longer available.

Thanks.

RH

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 02:22:28 »
If you cannot find any used ones use speed nuts.
Use a thin file or a Dremel and cut groove around the stem and press the nut from the inside over it to keep the vent piece in place.
If you want to be more fancy you can use a die (or a nut) and try to cut a thread into the stem and then fix it in place with a nut.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

w113dude

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 03:21:56 »
Any idea where these clips can be sourced?  I just checked with the Classic Center and they said they were no longer available.

Thanks.

RH

I found the rectangular ones at ACE hardware store.

rwh

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Mateo
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 18:21:31 »
Thanks for the advice. I will try first with speed nuts.  One of the posts is actually broken off so I don't know what I 'm going to do there -- double sided tape?

RH