Author Topic: water pump  (Read 10001 times)

jeffc280sl

water pump
« on: October 28, 2007, 13:44:37 »
I've read posts about water pumps and recall some discussion about impeller blades variances.  As this would appear to be important I'd like to get it straight.  I've noticed a Geba short version water pump available for my 280SL w/AC.  Any experience with this brand?  When rebuilding my transmission I learned a lot about bearing tolerances and was generally directed away from Chinese bearings in favor of German or Japanese mfg.  I prefer to stay away from them.

Has anyone rebuilt their pump?  Do you know where to buy the wearable components?  I assume the bearing will be marked with std bearing numbers and should not be a problem getting.  Other parts may be more difficult.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: water pump
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 18:05:43 »
Are you that intent on rebuilding it yourself?  A new one is only about $80 from on-line sources.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 19:41:14 »
I've found them for $50.00.  My theory is to replace every failed part with a quality replacement. I'm leary of replacement parts using low quality components like bearings.  When I rebuilt my transmission because of a failed bearing I decided to use C3 precision rated bearings that came from Japan. They were more expensive.  I  decided not to use the unmarked Chinese set that I originally purchased. I don't ever want to tear the transmission down again and thought the extra money was worth it. Same theory applies to the pump, rear axle and other parts I touch.  The water pump appears to be fine now but I'm thinking I need to replace the short hose etc while the A/C compressor is off.  I suppose I'm trying to get everything ready for a new compressor and I don't want to take it off for many many years to service a part underneath. I'll also look at other seals on the engine front for replacement.  I think there is at least one that can be done while I'm in the area.

The rebuild kit for the water pump is available from MB for $23.00.  It includes two gaskets and 2 seals which go inside the impeller.  I thought once the bearing was out I could purchase a replacement from any bearing store.  That's pretty much it unless the shaft is messed up.  I think I can find someone locally to press the components apart and then reassemble.  Before I did that I thought I would ask for experience from others that have replaced theirs.  That certainly seems the cheapest way to go.  

Download Attachment: watpump.jpg
39.69 KB

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 22:17:01 »
I guess I'll hang my hat on this one....

Well, the day started off quite nicely. Took a nice spin around town with top down. Fantastic fall weather here in Northern California...

Then, for the heck of it, I decided to mess with my idle a bit -- and while checking things, I spotted coolant dripping under the car rather profusely... a good size puddle had formed. I got under and had a looksy -- fairly sure it is coming from right behind fan blade. Water Pump?

If so, my questions are: can ya'all help me make sure I order the correct one for my car? Are there any ancillary parts I should order as well. I am guessing it is beyond my talents to do the labor but I'd like to have the parts in hand when I take the car in. Thanks...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 22:34:01 »
Hi James,

If you need a new water pump, there is a shorter version for A/C cars, and a longer version for non-a/c cars.  Refer to attached pic. It shows mine, the longer version.  If you do the pump, also replace the small half circle tube that connects to the head and top of pump (also new washers).

Sorry to hear about your issue.
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

I guess I'll hang my hat on this one....

Well, the day started off quite nicely. Took a nice spin around town with top down. Fantastic fall weather here in Northern California...

Then, for the heck of it, I decided to mess with my idle a bit -- and while checking things, I spotted coolant dripping under the car rather profusely... a good size puddle had formed. I got under and had a looksy -- fairly sure it is coming from right behind fan blade. Water Pump?

If so, my questions are: can ya'all help me make sure I order the correct one for my car? Are there any ancillary parts I should order as well. I am guessing it is beyond my talents to do the labor but I'd like to have the parts in hand when I take the car in. Thanks...

James
63 230SL

Download Attachment: wp.jpg
83.34 KB

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

al_lieffring

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 07:21:09 »
There actually three different waterpumps

The one for your 230sl has a three bolt hub flange where the fan (w/4 blades) bolts on.

The pumps that fit the 250 and 280sls have 4 bolts, a 6 blade fan and a fan clutch. the short pump is fitted with spacers and the longer pump does not

my car has been converted to the 250sl fan clutch and no longer has the direct drive (4 blade) fan.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
a-cheesin with a new 85 l. tank

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 10:23:37 »
Thanks AL & Bob.

It looks like I last replaced the pump in 1991. The number on the work order reads 115 200 1220. Naj (or other part number wizards), does that sound right?

And looking at this explosion from SLS, I would want #53, and the circular vent #60 and washers #62?

Also I noticed coolant around this connection #84. I suppose I should replace it at the same time?

Download Attachment: linkage.jpg
41.48 KB

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

George Des

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 14:15:42 »
The factory original water pump for the 230Sl also had a removable bolt where lubricant could be added to the bearings. The replacement pumps I have seen are lubricated for life and do not have this access. SLS carries the original and the replacements. The original pump it costs quite a bit more than the replacements.

George Des

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 15:52:15 »
Thanks George. I believe the one I have is the maintenance free type. I will likely stay with that. While I use SLS for pictures, I am planning to order from K&K I think. In the cart at the moment is the m/f water pump, the curved vent, two "hollow screws" and washers. I also threw in gaskets that looked applicable. Am I missing anything?

I'll be replacing coolant -- but wonder if is it necessary to mess with thermostat -- or just work around it?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 16:09:14 »
James,

quote:
The number on the work order reads 115 200 1220. Naj (or other part number wizards), does that sound right?

The latest part # is 115 200 1620 80

The 80 suffix denotes exchange/rebuilt pump.

I would aslo change hose 3 and gskt 52 while in there.

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 12:45:50 »
So, a brief update & question. Parts are on order for a new water pump and surroundings. I'll report the various part numbers and what was needed after the project. Surgery not until Dec 4.

Now here's a question. While I am waiting, I would like to restore the coolant level (I probably lost a half gallon at most) -- so I can A. get car to operating temperature for some other maintenance. and B. ultimately drive it over to the shop. Is there any problem with this? Should I use water or coolant?

Thanks.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 13:10:39 »
quote:

So, a brief update & question. Parts are on order for a new water pump and surroundings. I'll report the various part numbers and what was needed after the project. Surgery not until Dec 4.

Now here's a question. While I am waiting, I would like to restore the coolant level (I probably lost a half gallon at most) -- so I can A. get car to operating temperature for some other maintenance. and B. ultimately drive it over to the shop. Is there any problem with this? Should I use water or coolant?

Thanks.

James
63 230SL

I would use 50/50 water coolant mix any time I topped off my coolant.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 13:19:38 »
Does one mix the two by hand-- then add to car? Or should I buy some 50/50 already mixed? Bear with me, learning curve...

James
63 230SL
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 13:20:45 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

al_lieffring

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 14:36:51 »
quote:

Does one mix the two by hand-- then add to car? Or should I buy some 50/50 already mixed? Bear with me, learning curve...

James
63 230SL

I would never consider paying extra for only a half gallon of antifreeze. But nowadays people are so used to paying $8.00+ for a gallon for bottled water that the extra $3.00 dollars for a half gallon of water mixed in with the coolant seems like a bargain.

Yes, I do pre-mix the coolant with water, usually in an empty milk jug.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
a-cheesin with a new 85 l. tank

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 15:20:02 »
Thanks Al. And final question on this: is it ok to add one type/brand of coolant to another if it is ver temporary? I will be flushing/replacing with correct stuff soon.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 21:29:59 »
A gallon of distilled water is less than a dollar at the local grocery store.  I use it to keep mineral deposits and chlorine out of the cooling system.  I even use it in the windshield washer.  

Of course, I live in Florida where tap water is loaded with limestone.  So, it's cheap insurance.  

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 21:38:54 by Raymond »
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe