Author Topic: Antenna location  (Read 6450 times)

Skyline-GTR

Antenna location
« on: October 27, 2007, 14:59:09 »
Hi every pagoda SL Group members finally i install 280 sl engine to my car 230 sl it is worjing good
I want to ask how to fit the anttena and there is orginal radio for this car
other thing is of course there is heater in the car can i fit aircondition
and the last thing the car need paint what is the good one
the car colour is silver

seattle_Jerry

Re: Antenna location
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 17:03:35 »
I think some antennae are located on the passenger front fender, others are on the drivers rear fender. In Qatar the best paint is the one with the greatest environmental resistance, in my opinion. look on this site for Air conditioner information. Just roll down your window you don't need A/C ;)

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 20:07:49 »
The car came with a "Hirschman" power antenna. Look for the hole in the body. If there is no hole, just run an insulated wire from the radio, about 3 ft long that's entirely enough to pull in local stations. If you fit A/C, use a modern rotary compressor.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

Skyline-GTR

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 02:05:47 »
Thanks for reply to me i found ahole in the body and when i take alook inside i found the anttena in side but it is go down i want to fit it i try but i don't understand it is move
i will attach pic later

Skyline-GTR

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 03:07:32 »
hi again this is the link

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=antenadf8.jpg
and this is link for two bolts

the is two bolts inside the body down the antena hole
http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boltsnx5.jpg
I dont know if this is antena is orginal

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 17:21:57 »
The car probably did not come with a power antenna.  Those were on the higher end Becker radios.  Blaupunkt radios had a manual antenna. Although we can't see the bottom, this photo looks like a manual antenna.  The threads and nut that would fit on the outside of the fender are missing.  The star shaped ring at the bottom would fit against the inside of the fender and the nut would tighten from outside.  It's a simple installation but you need a new antenna.  Unless you want a power antenna, you don't need a Hirschman.  

If your radio has provision for a power antenna, it would mount with the bolts inside the fender.  You can buy a new power Hirschman for under $100.

By the way, the Imageshack site you're using for photos is clunky and intrusive.  You can post photos here without linking to an outside site.  Search for "photo" and you'll find threads here with instructions.

Good luck.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 17:24:38 by Raymond »
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Skyline-GTR

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 05:37:54 »
Thanks Raymond For reply and what you say is correct I have manual antenna and I don't know may be it is orginal one any way I need the nut who is catch or what is mean i mean this nut is stopped antenna for go down it is nut fit in the bottom of body or fender

thanks and if you advice me to fit backer radio i need to return my car to orginal mode
thanks

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 21:12:50 »
With a 280 engine in a 230 body, I wouldn't worry too much about making the car like original.  You should do what makes you happy.  

I like my Blaupunkt radio just fine.  It works perfectly after 39 years.  It only feeds the dash speaker.  I really do prefer the sound of the engine to any stereo.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe