Author Topic: Anyone done seat mods for leg or head room  (Read 5288 times)

seattle_Jerry

Anyone done seat mods for leg or head room
« on: October 11, 2007, 20:47:54 »
I feel like I am about an inch or two too close to the steering wheel. Has anyone done any mods to their seat to get more room? My hair is brushing the hardtop too. I think I will change to a smaller steering wheel to get it out of my lap.

Its kinda funny...my MGB had more leg room. My friends ghia has way more leg and headroom.

I wonder why they would have designed it with that cross member limiting seat travel? I'll just cut a portion of it away... ;)

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C

hauser

Re: Anyone done seat mods for leg or head room
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 20:56:00 »
If you remove the rear shelf you should be able to recline the seat a bit more.  If you're going for a different steering wheel nardi offers three sizes ranging from 330 to 390mm.  I guess while you're at it you can have the seats customized.  One way is to start with the seat frame weld a sheet of metal to the lower part and build the seat with contoured high density foam.  Keep it lower than stock.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 20:56:40 by hauser »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 20:57:39 »
Hey Jerry. I agree the leg room is limited and the steering wheel a little constricting, but headroom? Are you a former Supersonic or what? I have always enjoyed the headroom (only 6')...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 00:04:41 »
6'3" I guess the 3" makes a difference.

It never occurred to me that there would be a lack of legroom in a Mercedes. My 220D had so much that I could barely touch the pedals if I wanted.

My broken driver's seat provides great lay back at the moment. I need to rebuild the seat.

Feeling daring I bought my SL off ebay without having sat in one since I was about 12. They seemed big then...I spent a lot of time in the SL driver's seat going nowhere as a little kid. Good cheap entertainment.

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 00:07:13 »
Oh I don't have the rear shelf. I have the sideways seat.

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 07:49:02 »
Seattle Jerry,
I'm 6'-8" myself and I fit into the SL barely.  
I tired the seat back modification by removing the original seat cover and foam backing.  Keeping the spring base and installing a much thinner seat foam and cover from a later model MB.  While the mod worked, the cover is not the same as the original.  I still have the seat in the attic, and put another original into the car.  I've been able to manage with the space and limitations.  
You also can try to lower the seat mounts a little in the back, but that will increase the rake(incline) of the seat.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 22:45:56 »
Wow 6'8" I'm shocked you can wedge yourself in...

Thanks for the input guys.