Author Topic: hard top rear latch removal  (Read 4087 times)

samsm

hard top rear latch removal
« on: October 10, 2007, 15:13:24 »
Anyone know how to remove the rear latches on the 280sl hardtop?
I need to replace the leather covering on the sill that they sit on and these latches have to come off first. The upholsterer can't figure it out, and I can't find a schematic for their assembly.

SAM

drewsalisbury

Re: hard top rear latch removal
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 20:52:19 »
Sam - call or email Gernold at SLTech.  He can explain the disassembly for your upholsterer, and he has repair parts the the hardtop latches listed on his web site if you need them when you re-assemble

Drew Salisbury
1971 280sl auto

samsm

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 22:10:01 »
Thanks, Drew. I sent him an email. Fingers crossed.

Sam

SAM

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 13:22:59 »
Sam,
   This needs to be done carefully. If you break any parts I understand the are expensive.
  Ther is the locking pin at the bottom of the latch. Ther are actually two covers that slide over each end of the pin and into the plastic cone. You can try to ease the covers off. I carved the plastic on mine because they were old and hard. It would be a good idea to order new plastic befor you start. After the pin covers are off you can work the inside pin by sliding it out. Do not hammer or bang it out. Twist it and carefully work the pin out. Once that pin is out then the plastic cone will come off and you will have access to a nut that holds the latch in place. I hope my description is helpful. If you need additional details, please let me know.
Good luck,
Ted
1969 280SL (I did it withour breaking anything)