Author Topic: my car was just stolen!!  (Read 18406 times)

suzy

my car was just stolen!!
« on: September 30, 2007, 10:00:06 »
i just have to vent a bit.  parked my car (as always) in my driveway.  it was covered, alarm on.  came out this morning and it's gone.  i can see tire tracks--my husband thinks it was towed away.  i am devastated.  i had the car for 7 years and it was just terrific, a lovely thing to drive.

i know i'll never recover it, and can't imagine owning another one.

sad in LA,

suzy

suzy adler

Douglas

Re: my car was just stolen!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 11:05:33 »
Suzy,

This is just awful. I'm sorry to hear the news. One bit of consolation is that you're posting this information in the best forum possible. We can all stay vigilant and keep an eye out for your Pagoda. I've got to think it will re-emerge on the market at some point and one of us will notice it.

If you wouldn't mind, could you describe the car, including any distinctive features that would make it stand out? (VIN, colors, options, radio, engine #, etc.)

At one point a couple years ago, I had suggested we have a special section in the forums with info on stolen vehicles. Perhaps this should be up for consideration again.

I would love nothing more than for you to get your car back and for us to help nail the thieves.

Keep the faith.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 11:05:47 »
Dear Suzy
So sorry to hear such sad news.
Put a picture or 2 up on here, as someone may see it & inform you.
You never know.

Regards
Kemal

280 Sl Manual 69
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

Bob G

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 14:10:33 »
Susy:
I am very sad for you. I own my Dad's 280SL that has been in the family since 1968. Though it need tender  loving care I will not park it out side were it becomes a prime tarket. I had a beautifull 1986 Toyota 4by 4 turbo silver with 140,000 miles with  no problems ever. On a trip back from a customers home I stopped in West Los Angeles at Rancho park and walked into a restraunt to get some food. 45 minutes later it was a bad night mare after three months they recovered my truck in peices and the insurance company could not fine prices on Turbro SR5 extra cabs. Dam I miss that truck it was perfect condition and to buy one then to replace it would of cost three times the  price and half the quality.
So don't think I do not understand what you must be feeling , it terrible to drive  a car that is a tarket . I too know that who ever got  my truck had a m0ving truck to pick it up . The police were there in 15 minutes but it was long gone and no one was going to be suspious of every moving trucks on the road.
My daily beater is a toyota corolla I do not drive my SL with out my wife and having an eye open at all times.
I truly hope your sitution turns out that they fine your car. I will pray the theafts are not that smart and make a mistake and get caught.
Sincerely
bob Geco
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 14:11:33 by Bob G »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 14:52:51 »
Hi Suzy. That really stinks. I know its a longshot but the police might get lucky. And like other said -- lets all keep an eye out. It probably won't be long before stuff appears on E-bay. It almost makes you want to brand your chrome grille. Very sorry to hear it -- those people suck. (sorry moderators).

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

ami

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 15:19:25 »
Kemel and his pictures.! ...sorry for your loss Suzy please. Too conspicuous to be out on the street for long. Fingers crossed that it turn up please.

cars including SL's

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 15:24:13 »
Every once in a while I hesitate to open the garage door, afraid the car may be gone one day. One trick I heard thieves employ here in The Netherlands is that they note down your license plate number as they spot you driving, then through links to the DMV records (not too difficult to obtain I understand) they find out the street address the car is registered to, and that's where they come looking. In my case, that does not help since the car is in a garage miles away from my home address.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

suzy

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 17:18:14 »
i want to thank all of you who have written for your thoughts.  i am attaching a photo (hope it turns out ok).  

the car is a stick shift, which i loved.  the VIN # is 280sl016402, the odometer says @ 20,060, and the interior cover is a very light blueish gray.

i've been told that these cars go pretty much straight to Europe where a seller can get more $$ than here, so i guess it's going back to its home.

when i get over this shock i just might be looking for a replacement, so if anyone knows of a good, daily driver on the west coast, i'd appreciate knowing about it.  of course i will check this site, and put the word out with my mechanic, etc.

(by the way, i still have the hard top)

suzy adler

suzy

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 17:22:10 »
i uploaded the photo of my car, but it doesn't show up in my previous email.  i will try again from work this week.

suzy adler

suzy

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 09:23:19 »
here is a  photo of the car (sorry about including me and the dog).

she and i are still in mourning.

Download Attachment: IMG_0020.JPG
34.52 KB

suzy adler

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 13:26:04 »
Suzy,

Have you considered listing the hardtop which was not stolen for sale on Craigslist?  This might drive the culprit and your missing SL back to you.

1971 280SL
Arabian Gray
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 01:33:52 »
Oh Suzy, I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful car.  We keep and eye on the European market and will look here.  However, I suspect some of the crooks are actually filling "orders."  

On a nasty twist to the problem Cees describes, the crooks in Florida (where almost everyone has automatic garage doors) are using random wave generators to open the door, then taking cars directly out of the garage.  We solved that by installing a simple cut-off switch that we flip at night and when we're gone...but I still worry about parking lots.

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Sarasota FL; Alsace France; Switzerland
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...
Trice
Austrian Alps

nirmal

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 03:45:25 »
Suzy

Sorry for your loss. Will keep an eye out for the car in this part of the world.

Nirmal
1969 white 280 sl

Douglas

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 09:50:26 »
So to summarize, here are the specs on the car we should be looking out for:

•Late-model 280 SL
•Ext color: 350/medium blue
•Int color: gray MB Tex
•Lt blue carpet
•US-spec
•No hardtop
•black soft top
•4-speed manual transmission
•VIN: 11304410016420
•Odometer: approx. 20,060 when stolen
• Becker radio
• no a/c

Keep an eye out for this car, folks.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 18:26:28 by Douglas »

Eryck

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 19:58:41 »
That's a very nice color.  I've never seen that color before actually.

Umh...maybe I should get one of those steering wheel locks....I always leave the top down when I park the car...

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

hauser

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 20:53:33 »
Steering wheel locks are of no use.  The the thief will simply hacksaws the steering wheel.  One of the better devices is a hardened steel brake/clutch lock.  The brake/clutch pedal lever is one of the strongest parts of your car.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Ann

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 21:33:08 »
Suzy I am devastated for your loss! Losing my car would freak me out completely. I feel so bad for you.

For all that have never seen a tow truck in action the following was an eye opener for me. I witnessed a tow truck pick up an unattended brand new Mercedes (PARKED ILLEGALLY in handicapped parking spot) at a recent car show.
This is how it was done. They placed a tire jack under each wheel- one at a time. Using square metal lifts individually on each wheel (similar to 4-wheel skateboards that slid under each wheel very easily). Then rolled the car over to the tow truck- winched it up the ramp and it was secured and gone in about 5 minutes. It was as if the car had roller skates on! They could move it sideways, or from between closely parked cars on two sides, if needed. They didn't have to do much, no putting the car into neutral, or even opening up the car door or window. And only took 2 guys, a tire jack, the 4 small lifts/rollers and the truck with a ramp.

It was then it came to weigh heavily on me how ANY car can be taken, and quickly, at any time. This of course was done with the Police in full attendance who cited the owner. He eventually returned and rescued his car off the truck, but not before he got numerous citations, argued with the police and got a couple more tickets (about $1500 worth). gulp.

Ann

'70 Euro 280 SL silver
'06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue
'98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee (125K mi.)

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 02:38:31 »
Which tells me our only hope is a motion-sensor with a very LOUD alarm!  Guess you Californians couldn't use that--every little earthquake would set it off  :D   lol from an ex-Calif. girl.  Having said that, both New England and the mid-West are long overdue on their faults...

Trice
Trice
Austrian Alps

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 12:31:32 »
Start checking Ebay for parts. You might find it there.

TR

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 13:13:37 »
I agree with your recommendation.  My 280SL has a security system which if activated automatically runs up the Hirschmann antenna and transmits a signal to a small pager-like unit I can carry in my pocket.  I've tested it and have been able to receive a security page over 1/2 mile away from wherever the car's security alarm is activated.  My car has had this little add-on for several years.

quote:
Originally posted by France

Which tells me our only hope is a motion-sensor with a very LOUD alarm!  Guess you Californians couldn't use that--every little earthquake would set it off  :D   lol from an ex-Calif. girl.  Having said that, both New England and the mid-West are long overdue on their faults...

Trice

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 15:04:43 »
No one pays much attention to car alarms anymore unless it's the owner and the car is parked at home. There are so many false alarms these days most people find them more of a bother than anything else. I know I do. And if someone is messing with your car? What then?

You can't go out and shoot first and then ask questions later BTW. This isn't the wild west althought I suppose some people might still live there or think they do......

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

graphic66

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 15:08:47 »
How about the lojack type devices. My friend sells and finances cars and he can locate them to repo anytime.

TR

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 22:34:12 »
Oh I don't know.  It seemed to work okay one evening in Nevada when the alarm went off silently and then I excused myself from a restaurant and walked up to a couple of guys who were hovering around the car a little too close & long for my comfort.  No need for gun play; sometimes just a friendly howdy does the trick.
quote:
Originally posted by Benz Dr.

No one pays much attention to car alarms anymore unless it's the owner and the car is parked at home. There are so many false alarms these days most people find them more of a bother than anything else. I know I do. And if someone is messing with your car? What then?

You can't go out and shoot first and then ask questions later BTW. This isn't the wild west althought I suppose some people might still live there or think they do......

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061

Tom in Boise

TR

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 22:38:50 »
I kind of like the LoJack idea.  I think I'll check that out.  I wonder if the insurance people would give a discount because of it?
quote:
Originally posted by graphic66

How about the lojack type devices. My friend sells and finances cars and he can locate them to repo anytime.

Tom in Boise

graphic66

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 10:30:24 »
Lojack can't be to complicated. My Daughter just purchased a Mac laptop and it can be located whenever it goes online with GPS coordinates. It most likely won't be stolen, I'm sure she will need it just to locate it in her room.