Author Topic: "Tramlining"  (Read 4115 times)

kns

"Tramlining"
« on: September 15, 2003, 02:28:17 »
I run a '65 230sl and experience just a little 'tramlining' - the tendency of the car on occasion to follow its own line and stubbornly ignore subtle steering adjustments. I think that the camber/castor adjustments are fairly good (although confirmation of the optimum set-up would be welcome), so I am left to wonder whether I should replace the suspension bushes or look for a more sinister cause.
One possibility is the freeplay in the front kingpin connection - if I push on the top of the wheel, it 'gives' a couple of centimetres (3/4"), which I feel it should not. I am hoping that does not signal a need to changeout the kingpins, as I suspect that an entire assembly will be hard to source [in Australia] and/or uncomfortably expensive.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

kns.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: "Tramlining"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 08:07:23 »
I believe the wheel should not give at all.  Others with real suspension / steering experience can elaborate on the details.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

George Davis

Re: "Tramlining"
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 08:21:11 »
kns,

I don't know how much your suspension is involved, but tire sidewall stiffness has a lot to do with tramlining.  Wide, low profile tires are really susceptible to this.  Sidewall stiffness is also affected by inflation pressure.  I was previously running tire pressures of 28 psi F/30 psi rear.  At Albert's suggestion, I upped the rear pressure to 35 psi, and immediately noticed an increased tendency to tramline.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual