Author Topic: Bolt size?  (Read 4021 times)

jakl

• Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, Princeton
Bolt size?
« on: September 19, 2007, 08:10:17 »
Hi folks, while replacing gray rubber piping around bumper guards I snapped off both bolts holding one rear guard.  My options are to try to extract the old bolt and replace it with same size or to drill it out and tap new threads.  Any comments?
Thanks,
jakl

hauser

Re: Bolt size?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 08:15:33 »
There is a special drill bit that can be used to back out a broken screw/bolt.  I believe Home Depot carries something like it.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 06:06:00 »
After years of trial and error I have decided that if it is rusty you are better off drilling it and tapping out the broken piece. Unless it is a situation where the bolt is free and hasn't bottomed out too hard in ther hole I find easy outs to be worse than useless.

You need only to break off 1 hardened steel easy out in a bolt to know the true meaning of pain in the butt.

al_lieffring

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 07:23:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by jakl

Hi folks, while replacing gray rubber piping around bumper guards I snapped off both bolts holding one rear guard.  My options are to try to extract the old bolt and replace it with same size or to drill it out and tap new threads.  Any comments?
Thanks,
jakl

A technique I was taught for getting out broken rusty bolts and studs is to weld a nut onto the broken bolt or stud with a MIG welder, Weld down through the threads of the nut untit it is filled in completely. while the bolt is still hot, but not glowing any more, turn the nut with a socket until it starts to turn then turn it back in, keep working it in and out each time it will turn a little bit farther. Eventually it will be all the way out. Sometimes the nut breaks off, just weld on another one and try again.

The heat from the welding will help break the rust loose but not get so hot that it discolors the chrome. When the piece has cooled run a tap through the hole to clean up the threads.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
Jones'n for a new gas tank