Author Topic: Center Heat Shield  (Read 4873 times)

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
Center Heat Shield
« on: September 05, 2007, 12:42:53 »
I've been noticing alittle more rattling lately and last night the cause became apparent.  I pulled into the garage and the center heat shield was resting on top of the exhaust pipe making more noise than a percussion section of a large orchestra.  I've read the posts and apparently this center heat shield attaches with nothing more than sheet metal screws.  Can anyone tell me how many and how long or short the screws should be?  I hate to have them go completely through the floor into the cabin if this can be avoided.  And, can this heat shield be reattached without dropping the muffler pipes or putting the car on a lift?

Thanks
Tim Dunagan
1971 280 SL

jeffc280sl

Re: Center Heat Shield
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 13:38:12 »
There are three raised ribs that run across the heat shield.  Screws are fastened through these ribs so that the heat shield is not laying flat against the underside of the car.  Without too much trouble you can place that side of the car on jack stands and crawl under the (cooled) exhaust to reattach the shield.  You can get access with a long handled power screw driver through the center of the exhaust pipes.  I would be careful to note the location of the screw to make sure it doesn't come in contact with the passengers feet.  I would rather drill three holes and use small nuts and bolts so that the part inside the cabin is low profile.  Maybe use a carriage bolt inside.

Download Attachment: Shield.jpg
14.96 KB

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Bob G

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 15:06:16 »
The heat shield alsostarting rattling on my 280SL so I was able to get access to it from my landlords two post lift at work and tighten it up. O was thinking of putting rivites in instead of screws but I do not know if this is a good idea. Prehaps over time the vibration of the drive train causes these screws to work loose but I think the threads on mine my be in need of three new replacment screws.
Is this center heat shield availible anymore?
Bob geco
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 15:08:16 by Bob G »

rob walker

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 01:02:22 »
Courtesy of Naj.
When we fitted our new shield we found the front 2 screws easy but the rear was a p*g to get a driver to.

"The bigger screws are 6mm: N 000063 006145
Smaller ones are 4mm: N 007981 004233 or N 000000 000460"

Rob Walker
1968 280SL papyrus white/green leather
Spain and Turkey

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 12:22:41 »
Rob, Bob and Jeff,

Thanks for the input.  The job was actually very easy.  I used jack stands on the passenger side and although coozy I had plenty of room.  The rear screw was the most difficult but, I managed with a flexible shaft screw driver.  I also used a slightly larger screw which I think will hold better.
Today as i pulled up to the stop light and the lovely woman next to me stared, I could tell what she was thinking...('that car has the most quiet heat shields in town')!
Thanks again

Tim Dunagan
1971 280 SL