Author Topic: early 230sl seat belts  (Read 5936 times)

angelo

early 230sl seat belts
« on: September 04, 2007, 14:21:02 »
just finished my project, a 1963 230 sl and obvoiusly the car did not have seat belts at time of production and obviously the laws have changed my question is twofold:

A) do I have to install seat belts and will it detract from it's originality(my wife won't drive with me without them)

B) I have already purchased a set from GERMANY but have never installed any, any suggestions

Chad

Re: early 230sl seat belts
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 23:56:19 »
Many others will provide very useful information regarding how to install seatbelts and different options.  The only thing I can offer is my opinion and that is much in favor of seat belts.  Seat belts offer a level of safety that is very much worth whatever loss of originality they bring. Install the belts and be safer, feel safer and enjoy driving with the company of your wife.

I have heard that there is even some type of allowance for non-original seat belts by judges in show competitions.  I have never had a car worthy of showing off so I am not sure of that though.  But in any case, it is a well documented and vastly respected improvement to *using* the car in modern traffic.

1967 230SL
2007 Feathercraft K1 Kayak and Aleut Paddle
(A sometimes happy marriage of technology)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 07:13:37 »
Angelo,

First, I haven't a clue what the regulations are for seatbelts where you live.

I am in Germany and needed to fit 3 point belts to my car to pass the TUV (road worthiness test). I would not now drive the car without them.

There is a wealth of info on this site about belts; use the search feature.

I put some of my experiences when fitting the belts in a thread a while ago - it's here:

http://index.php?topic=6728

The job was not hard, but there are a few pitfalls along the way.

There is a MB guide to fitting the belts that another very helpful member sent me, which I still have. It's not easy to read, but it's pretty essential if you're going to fit 3 point belts yourself.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 21:17:57 »
Your wife is right.  You may be the best driver in your state, but that means nobody else is.  The design of the rest of the car won't protect you.  Just for fun, sit in the passenger seat and smack your head on the dash board as hard as you can.  Then realize that the impact was only 1/4 what you'd experience in a 40 mph impact.  Look at the chrome mirror, the stering wheel, and all the hard surfaces that can hurt you.

The job isn't that hard and, as you'll see from the threads on this site, it can be done beautifully.  After brakes, they're the next necessity.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

hauser

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 00:13:35 »
I don't believe there's any point deduction for three point belts.  I had Gernold install them in my car before I took delivery of it.  An essential safety componant for these cars.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 08:47:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond

Just for fun, sit in the passenger seat and smack your head on the dash board as hard as you can.

Ouch! I thought you said it would be fun! [:0]

Seriously though, I don't believe there is a penalty for updated seatbelts in MBCA concours events. To most everyone, it's considered a necessary upgrade.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA