Author Topic: canvas top/ any helpful hints  (Read 5724 times)

Ann

canvas top/ any helpful hints
« on: August 30, 2007, 08:14:40 »
My canvas top is now UP as per a mechanic's instructions to *stretch* it by wetting it several times per week, and letting it dry completely  (in sun) for several hours.

This is supposed to be good for the canvas.

The top is now new- probably a good 8-10 years old (black) and just a little deterioration inside fully over one "rib".

Ann

'70 Euro 280 SL silver
'06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue
'98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee (125K mi.)

Ann

Re: canvas top/ any helpful hints
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 08:19:58 »
OOOpps posted too soon-bad fingers LOL.

Anyway my question is  anything I can do to help preserve it. My climate is SUNNY, fairly dry, sometimes hot. Not much humidity to cause rot, thankfully.

Does the instructions to wet it a couple times per week & dry thoroughly  sound good?

It looks beautiful, practically unused. But feels a little dry, and kind of raggy looking inside. I wish it had a fresher interior.

Any helpful hints will be appreciated.

Ann

'70 Euro 280 SL silver
'06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue
'98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee (125K mi.)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 10:47:00 »
Hey Ann. Personally, I don't like the advice to wet it so much. That is fine perhaps to try and stretch it the first time -- but it seems to me unnecessary once you have it fitting well. My 2 cents would be: FIRST, use great caution when stowing it and when bringing it up -- and SECOND, make a habit of bringing it up here and there during the year. (in other words don't keep it stored for months on end).

There has been a lot of discussion here about the tendency for our tops to get damaged when storing and raising (I recomend you search here for some tips) -- but I don't think shrinking is very common if its used once in awhile.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 17:18:29 »
1.)  When putting the top up and down I use a couple of the largest heavy duty zip-lock bags I can find to ease the canvas top material past the rubber soft top compartment rubber gasket.

2.)  When I dont' have the hard top fitted I always put the top up when parking the car in the garage. This keeps the interior dust free, the rear window wrinkle and scratch free and the top material properly stretched so that it is not a pain in the -- to put up.  It does seem to shrink up some when stored away for an extended period. The first time I have to put the top up after removing the hardtop it can be a bit of a struggle!

3.) When the top is properly stretched you should be able to put it up, secure the two locks over the windscreen and then snap the rear catch down with a good downward push at the center of the rear frame below the rear window.

4.)  Keep the interior of the soft top storage compartment squeaky clean.  Dirt, dust, sand and other grit will grind into the canvas and the plastic rear window.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 22:07:32 »
the guy who installed my top suggested that I roll up a towel and place it inside the rear window when putting the top down.  As you lift the rear to fold the window, put the towel inside to keep the window from scratching and creasing while stowed.  I also drape a small towel over the front edge of the top compartment to protect the window plastic.  To stretch the top, lay your arms between the bows and press down with moderate pressure - do this on both sides in front of and behind the center bow.

Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed

DavidBrough

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 05:41:52 »
For those that suffer longer winters than summers I would recommend removal and separate storage of the soft top.

It’s quite easy to do once you have relieved the tension on the two springs with a large screwdriver through the coils, just remove the chrome cover plates and four bolts and it’s off. You will need someone to help you lift it out of the car if don’t want to scratch the bodywork though. Also, don’t forget to note how many and which side the shim plates fit or your doors won’t seal properly when you put it back. However, if the fit is already bad they are not too difficult to make and properly adjust to the window.

The hardest part for me was persuading the wife to give over a spare bedroom to a soft top for a few months.

David Brough
1969 280Sl Auto with A/C

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 09:31:59 »
The top is actually a layer of vinyl sandwiched between two thin layers of canvas. I can't see anny reason to wet the top other than to keep it clean.

If your back window is fogged the marine industry has several products to help make it clear again. Try West Marine or any good Marine supply house.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 17:38:20 »
I've had my soft top stowed for a few months while the hard top was on, and no shrinking occurred. Wetting several times a week does not seem like a necessity to me, unless to stretch (but search the archives for how to stretch a soft top in other, probably more effective ways). Meguiar's makes very good products to keep the window very clear, and then there's the old Ragg Topp cleaner & protectant to care for the fabric. I have found high-pressure water can clean up a soft top that has a lot of dust, tree sap etc in it, very nicely.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II