Author Topic: What's this?  (Read 6355 times)

Ann

What's this?
« on: August 22, 2007, 12:57:51 »
There is a little "eye" on the face of my glovebox.
Inside is a heavy chrome box.

Should there be an electrical connection, bulb, or something inside the internal box?

I am guessing- just maybe....a "map light"?

What does it need to become functional?

I tried to post a photo, but the system didn't like it. <sigh>
Thanks,

Ann

'70 Euro 280 SL silver
'06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue
'98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee (125K mi.)

Douglas

Re: What's this?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 13:02:51 »
Open the glovebox door and it will illuminate the lap of your passenger. It's a maplight.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

cascadia

• Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
    • http://www.cascadiaclassic.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 15:13:46 »
The 'eye' on the face unscrews from the chromed box on the inside, alllowing you to change the bulb.
Bob in Portland
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 16:36:30 »
Ann,

If the light isn't working, and there is a bulb in the right place, check the wire that gives it power. It runs behind the back of the glove compartment (easily removed by taking out the 6 or 7 screws on top and bottom of the inside) to a little junction box where it screws in to take the power. If the bulb looks fine but it still doesn't work, check the wire. The only thing to look out for if you have to remove the glove box (which you don't have to really to check the wire) is the spring that allows the door to close. It can get caught when you remove the box and can be a pain to re-set.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 16:41:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ann

There is a little "eye" on the face of my glovebox.
Inside is a heavy chrome box.
Should there be an electrical connection, bulb, or something inside the internal box?I am guessing- just maybe....a "map light"?

Some info here:
The W113 glove compartment
The glove compartment on the W113 230/250/280SL is made like a box which fits into the dashboard. It is fastened with screws from the inside, top and bottom. The glovebox can be pulled out of the dash once the screws are removed. Make sure the glove box door is open when you remove or re-install it back into the dash. Also beware of electrical connection to the light fitted on the lid.

The long metal hinge is riveted with two flat alu rivets to the glove compartment housing. This serves to position the hinge during re-assembly.

When re-installing, make sure you line up the glove box door with the rest of the dash so it won’t chip the paint when closed. Also, you need to center it, so that it shows even gaps on both sides.
On the glove compartment lid, a light and a lock can be found. The light has a dual purpose. It serves both to give light into the compartment, as well as shining downwards to give light to map reading etc. The opening in the lid has a lens, focussing light when the hatch is in its opened position.

A curved rod is attached to the back of the glove compartment hatch, and the bar at the end of this rod has a coil spring with two forks as end pieces attached to it.

The spring has a snap-over function, first to keep the hatch closed, then when hatch is opened, spring works to keep it in horisontal position. The rod also serves as an end stop. This rod passes through a hole in the side of the glove compartment housing. Hole has an aluminium ring fitted, to finish hole off and cover glued vinyl (or leather as may be) at this point.

This ring is manufactured from soft aluminium, and it is missing on many W113 Pagoda cars. Ring tends to become damaged when removed, for example during restoration work on the interior. Small tabs hold the ring in position, these fold round the back of the opening in the glove compartment side. The tabs may break off, and then the ring will no longer stay in position.

The ring actually has an article No; 113 689 01 80. However, it was never offered as a spare part by M-B.

This part is now made available by W113 enthusiasts, and can be ordered from David Gallon in the US.   E-mail http://dgallon@cox.net

/Hans in Sweden

Download Attachment: Glove compartm w Ring.jpg
28.19 KB
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 16:53:22 by mbzse »
/Hans S

psmith

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 23:34:23 »
I have trouble posting photos too.  Maybe because I use Firefox.  What I do is click on the "insert hyperlink" or "insert image" button which inserts a pair of matching text blocks in brackets.  Then I click "Attach an Image" and browse and upload my image.  Once it is uploaded I copy and paste the new link to the photo between the text blocks.  It's awkward but it works.  Here's a picture of the glove box spring.  The light is cool because when the door is open it shines down to read a map and lights up the glove box without shining in the drivers eyes!  Those engineers thought of everything!

Pete S.