Author Topic: headliner  (Read 6025 times)

Ann

headliner
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:15:25 »
My headliner is stained, apparently from some water damage, and of course age. It feels good to the touch, not brittle but after nearly 40 years I am worried about it being fragile. It has a "live" vibrant feel but needs a good cleaning.

Clean it or replace it? Replacing it right now won't be possible since I am still recovering from the recent exterior paint job ($5500.) and refinishing of all the wood pieces (aaaak $700).

If it needs replacing will they have to remove the window seals & windows, too?
The wood around the rear hard top window was removed for refinishing and exposed the "true" original color of the headliner which sparkles in a band of white.
There was a recent post on possibly repainting the headliner and the photos were spectacular. Was the product ever mentioned on this forum? I wonder if someone might post it here, or email me privately.
Thanks so much.

Ann

'70 Euro 280 SL silver
'06 BMW Z4 Montego Blue
'98 Jeep Gr.Cherokee (125K mi.)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: headliner
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 12:47:43 »
Ann,

I'm enjoying your car discovery.

Anyway, hardtops. I think you live somewhere quite warm as I remember. You'll probably find that most people who have hardtops don't often use them. Given that you seem to be spending quite a bit on the car, you might choose to just leave the hardtop for now and see if you use it much. I bet you'll find you never really use it and rely on the soft top instead. Therefore why put money into cosmetics of the hard top? (This is called setting yourself up for a mass of contradictary posts by those who bother to use them. I, for one, do not use a hard top). (And the sun has not shone since April).

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:48:28 »
Ann,

Try a product called Spray 9 degreaser. A staple in the yachting community it is the best stuff for stubborn stains. Wear rubber gloves and spray it on the rag outside the car and not on the headliner to avoid splash.

Available at West Marine

john collins

• Junior Level
  • USA, VT, South Burlington
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 17:22:01 »
I have to agree, hardtops should be left on the hoist.  They are also about the most complex item to take apart and restore...  However, the staining you see is usually particles of the glue and interstitial material inside the headliner (it is seldom actual water damage).  For $7 US, you can buy a white sneaker (shoe) restorer.  This is not a true polish or paint, it is more of a whitewash.  It usually comes in a plastic bottle with a wipe-on applicator tip.  It may be a brighter white than the original, but it is an inexpensive way to "freshen" a headliner, and it can be cleaned off later if you want to try a different (more expensive) method of restoration.

John
Take care,

John

1965 230SL  white/black leather - power steering, Becker Mexico, kinderseat, fitted luggage

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 17:39:14 »
Hum,

Lots of tips here.
Ann, your hartop headliner should be white and the sunvisors grey - if they're still the original ones. These are the correct color codes for a car with black interior. Your European delivery car should also have a makeup mirror in the right sunvisor.

Albeit the good hints of the others not to touch your hardtop for restoration ... if you once choose to get it done - try to obtain a new headliner from Mercedes. It's not too expensive (about € 50 a couple of years ago) and looks always fantastic - much better than a repainted one.
Nevertheless, you can get your hardtop redone separately in a few years, not now.

Best,

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

Chad

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 22:15:22 »
I remember there was a published article floating around by Gernold outlining the hardtop restoration (complete).  Reading it convinced me that this was a very long term goal (read, years from now).  Replacing headliner is problematic enough I think from reading that article that a full restoration of the hardtop might as well be accomplished.  If someone has the article, perhaps they can share it with you (I no longer have it).  Additionally, many have probably replaced the headliner themselves here, perhaps they can describe the bare bones needs and pitfalls (particularly with side windows and chrome trim) needed to replace just headliner.  I have two hardtops, one sorry looking one here with a sunroof that I have disassembled to repair, and another one (original to the car that is on the car now in Canada) with numerous ugly stains and also a somewhat shabby painting trim on it.  I am pretty sure that I will be trying the painting/staining, cleaning technique in the future as I see myself destroying the hardtop should I take it apart myself. The hardtop was well engineered (or surprisingly complex).

It certainly can't hurt to try a bunch of paints/stains on the headliner. That's my game plan.

1967 230SL

DavidBrough

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 06:50:45 »
Hi Ann,

I used trim paint on mine and am very pleased with the results. Have a look at my earlier post
http://index.php?topic=7000

I think that most trim paints are similar and should be available from a number of interior trim suppliers. I have certainly seen various sorts available here in the UK all of which say they bond with plastics and provide hard wearing scuff free finishes.

David Brough
1969 280SL Auto with A/C
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 06:55:57 by DavidBrough »

George Des

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 10:29:47 »
Ann,

As someone who recently did a resto on my hardtop following Gernold's excellent article, I agree with Achim--the only right way to do this is to use a new headliner, underpadding and all new seals. It is a somewhat tedious job to do but well worth it in the end. The only really tough part is the removal and replacement of the side windows. There is a technique to this and if you do a search on the site you'll discover how to best do this. I for one like using the hardtop occasionally--on the long drives I used to make between Germany and Italy in the old days (early 80's) I was glad I had it at the speeds I was driving at and the road noise that would have been unbearable over 8 hours or so. In the heat in the summer of Washington, D.C., I also find it sometimes more comfortable to use it along with the A/C--call me square!

George Des

dwilli3038

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 10:25:13 »
Ann,

Make sure you understand why the headliner is stained. If you have the chrome rails it may be that there is a leak where they are fastened to the car. Also look at the rubber glass seals. A car this old they are most likely in bad condition. You do not want to rouin your new head liner in a couple of yearsto replace them.

If you are going to do the job yourself be patient. My wife helped me with my glass and we are STILL married. It is difficult but with patience and perceverance you can do it

Daryl
'64 230 SL Buckeye Benz Scarlet interior and Grey top Serial # 508
'77 280SE