Author Topic: 230sl transmission linkage  (Read 6783 times)

marion

230sl transmission linkage
« on: July 30, 2007, 05:07:09 »
I got my wife's 230SL out for the first time in months the other day. It started up fine, I pulled out of the garage to let it warm up and then put it in reverse to make the turn out of the parking area. To my horror (it's my wife's baby), it went forward instead of back. I shut it off and checked underneath. This is what I found:

Download Attachment: IMGP2426a.JPG
61.32 KB

It's a bit obvious what the problem is. What I can't figure out is how to get the two parts back together again. My wife thinks it may need a plastic bushing. She has a couple of spare ones (part #A 000 462 02 32)that she's had since 1981, but I can't see how they could work. I really just need to know if this is something that can be fixed at home with what I have in my small toolbox, or if we're going to have to take it to a professional. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: 230sl transmission linkage
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:41:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by marion

.../...What I can't figure out is how to get the two parts back together again. My wife thinks it may need a plastic bushing.../..
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Find all the info you need here:
http://sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=3717

/Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:42:59 by mbzse »
/Hans S

al_lieffring

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 11:30:13 »
You should consider getting new bushings, I installed new/old shift bushings form ca. 1981 and they disintrgrated within a week of installing them.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
Jones'n for a new gas tank

marion

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 05:09:46 »
Thanks for the help guys. Still a bit confused, though. The part that has become disconnected is the end of the rod that is attached to the part labeled '78'on the diagram below.The end that connects to the shift lever is still on. Looking at the end that has come off, I can see what appears to be a BLACK bushing or insert. Does the white bushing fit inside this? Or is the black one the original bushing, and it is just worn to the extent that it won't stay on?

Download Attachment: IN02_0110.jpg
52.01 KB

marion

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 07:51:15 »
Hmmm... disregard that last post. I just went out and had another look and took another picture.

Download Attachment: IMGP2453b.JPG
83.22 KB

The picture shows the end of the connecting rod (on the left) and I can now see more clearly that the bushing appears to be OK - just blackened with dirt.

In the center of the picture is the part that (I think) should go into the bushing. Doesn't look to be anything wrong there, either. It feels like it would go back together if I could push it hard enough. So why did it pop out in the first place? Am I missing something here?

Also, there is a lot of side-to-side play in the connecting rod itself. Is this normal? The rod moves when I work the gear lever, so I know that it is still connected with the gear lever,  but does the play indicate that the bushing could have disintegrated at that end?

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 08:12:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by marion

In the center of the picture is the part that (I think) should go into the bushing. Doesn't look to be anything wrong there, either. It feels like it would go back together if I could push it hard enough. So why did it pop out in the first place? Am I missing something here?
The connecter popped out of the bushing because the bushing is many years old.  Sure, you might be able to pop it back in, but it will come right back out pretty soon.  I recommend replacing all the bushings in the shift linkage assembly.  If that's not something you are comfortable doing, then take it to your favorite classic MB shop.

Please use the Search feature (link in top right corner) to find lots of info on "shift linkage" or "shift bushing".  You will find good links like the one posted below by Hans.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

psmith

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 01:03:08 »
"...wife's 230SL...parts she's had since 1981..."  

Do you have any idea how lucky you are???  Many of us boys out here pine for the day when our wives take a mild interest in our "old car" and perhaps consent to go for a drive.

Pete S.

marion

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 04:08:13 »
Thanks again for the help and advice. I guess this one is beyond me; I'll have to call in the professionals.

Yes, p smith, I'm very lucky. I've gotten to drive the old Merc a few times. I'm really more interested in playing around with the Mitsubishi FTO we got last week, but I've promised the wife that I'll get the Mercedes fixed before I so much as wash the FTO. *sigh*

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 08:22:58 »
Marion,

I see you are in the UK.  If at all possible, you & the wife should attend this Pagoda SL Group event!
http://index.php?topic=7139

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL