Author Topic: The Grit under the headliner is ???  (Read 6306 times)

LFrank

The Grit under the headliner is ???
« on: September 09, 2003, 14:31:34 »
What is the black gritty stuff that has degraded beneath the headliner on my hardtop? Old foam? Adhesive? Sure hope it's not toxic, as I get a few mouthfuls whenever I put the windows down in wintertime...(probably time to restore it!).

LFrank
Washington DC
65 230 sl
DB334/Hellblau

George Davis

Re: The Grit under the headliner is ???
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 17:46:34 »
LFrank,

I understand it's dried up foam.  Mine needs to be restored, too, but that won't happen for a while.  Would it be sacrilege to glue some saran wrap up there in the meantime?  Is there something better?

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Ben

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 01:45:45 »
Well I'm about to start restoration, a basic type, on my hardtop. Every time I went over a bump I got showered in that dust !

I intend to strip the chrome and either clean or replace the lining and soundproofing, refinish the wood and repaint the exterior. Mine has no real rust just some scratches and marks on it.

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 04:19:18 »
Oh, God.  Mine showers tan mealy stuff all over.  Apparently, according to my mad better half (he of the GT40 and the half-finished E-type), it is not expensive to strip out the lining and replace the foam.  This will definitely be done on the next visit to Sarasota, as I don't look too good with blonde crumbs in my hair...

Trice
1968 280SL auto
My tastes are simple:  I am always satisfied with the very best...a Pagoda -- Oscar Wilde
(Well OK, no, he didn't say a Pagoda; I made that part up.  But if Pagodas had existed in the late 1800s, he would have driven one!)
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 11:56:32 »
To temporarily "cure" this problem, couldn't the hard top be removed, placed upside down on the garage floor, and the fine material be vacuumed out through the perferations?

This material can also come from the under dash panels.  There is foam that dries and comes off.

Rodd
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: September 10, 2003, 11:57:21 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 03:32:14 »
Rodd, I tried that too, thinking that it would be the end of it.  Upended the top on a soft blankie on the front lawn and sawed away with the Hoover.  It lasted about a week before grit started sifting down again.  It may be that mine is in the initial stages and has plenty more foam to go!  

Trice
1968 280SL auto
My tastes are simple:  I am always satisfied with the very best...a Pagoda -- Oscar Wilde
(Well OK, no, he didn't say a Pagoda; I made that part up.  But if Pagodas had existed in the late 1800s, he would have driven one!)
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...