Author Topic: Hood hinge repair  (Read 10455 times)

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Hood hinge repair
« on: June 06, 2007, 09:53:24 »
I've ordered kits from Gernold (Thanks, Douglas!) to repair the broken hinge points on the 230SL hood. Perhaps someone who has done this can advise me.
I don't know how to align the nuts on the kits. Can I put them about anywhere and then adjust the hood at the hinge mounts on the body?
I'll take the hood to a local welder who does aluminum and have him seal the holes I have to cut for kit insertion.
Thanks,
Joe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Hood hinge repair
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 15:52:17 »
Joe,

As to my knowledge the softtop frame is not aluminum but just steel which has been factory-chromed (non-glossy).
E.g. old frames start to show rust, aluminum oxidizes and becomes white.
Thus, welding of the holes in the frame shouldn't be to difficult.
Redrilling and "rethreadening" (tapping) should be possible - or using Helicoils.

Best,

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 16:31:07 »
Sorry, Achim, I was asking about the "hood", as in the cover of the engine compartment. I know "hood" to Europeans means a soft top. Perhaps "bonnet" is more understandable to you, but in the US, a bonnet is a hat. So, my hat needs its hinges fixed.
Joe

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 07:01:56 »
I'd call Gernold back and ask if he has a template or measurements.  The clearance and alignment of the hood as it opens and closes is pretty tight and the bolts need to be in the right place.  

Are the original studs broken off or missing?  Aren't the holes where they were still there.  You should be able to match the location of the new ones there.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 07:43:17 »
Joe,

quote:
I don't know how to align the nuts on the kits. Can I put them about anywhere and then adjust the hood at the hinge mounts on the body?

Have a look at Gernold's picture:

The slots on the hood should line up with the slots in the new plate. Then you can slide the nuts to adjust the hinge/hood.

Original nuts slide in the slots too.

naj
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 09:08:08 by naj »
68 280SL

CraigD

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Lake Tapps, WA
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 10:37:47 »
One bolt is missing at the left hinge point on my car.  When I attempted to replace it, I couldn't find the nut inside the hood at the hinge point.  How could one nut be missing? Did the original assembly include the 2-nut assembly as shown in the pictures, or were there 2 separate nuts?

Thanks,

Craig
'70 280SL Euro, Manual,  Leather
Silver/Black

Craig
'70 280SL Euro
'55 300S Roadster
'29 Franklin Speedster
'37 Cord S/C Cabriolet (RHD)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 12:19:10 »
Hello, Craig,

quote:
One bolt is missing at the left hinge point on my car. When I attempted to replace it, I couldn't find the nut inside the hood at the hinge point. How could one nut be missing? Did the original assembly include the 2-nut assembly as shown in the pictures, or were there 2 separate nuts?

If you look at my picture of the hood (blue one), one nut is at one extreme of the slot while the other is at the other end. I took the picture today just before trying to put the hood back. I could not find one of the nuts because it was 'hiding' behind the hinge. I had to take the hood off again and pull the nuts to the center before I could put back both bolts. Maybe you'll have to do the same.
You have to find somebody 'passionate' to help you take it off. The paint chips very easily (at least it did on mine [:(!])

naj

68 280SL
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 12:20:29 by naj »
68 280SL

CraigD

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Lake Tapps, WA
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 14:28:47 »
Thanks, Naj.  So it's true then, that on an original hood, there is an assembly containing 2 nuts inside the hood pocket?  So that if one nut is there, the other one must be there too?

Thank you,

Craig
Craig
'70 280SL Euro
'55 300S Roadster
'29 Franklin Speedster
'37 Cord S/C Cabriolet (RHD)

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 15:33:06 »
Yes Craig there are two nuts. Trouble is that with the hood up the nuts slide down. Something to do w/ gravity. If you can't fish it out, come on over and I'll do it. Fee: Cup o' coffee at Starbucks.
Pete
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 15:02:15 »
So I have a related question. I was just looking at my hinges. I noticed one nut on driver's and one nut of pass. was somewhat loose. I tried to tighten just the nut, but the bolt and nut twist. I figured I'd try and hold the bolt with pliers -- whilst tightening the nut. Pretty much rusted together I'd say -- seemed like it will break if I force it anymore.

Now looking at this thread, if there's a nut behind the hood, then it would be ok to turn both nut and bolt for tightness, wouldn't you think?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Bob G

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 06:10:05 »
I have on of the cage nuts on my hood that presented a problem. You will fine the same cage nut set up inside the bumper when you remove the braket. I hate this set up it is mine exsaterbating trying to line up the cage nuts to put the bolts back in.

Bob Geco