Author Topic: Poll: who has driven the longest distance?  (Read 6355 times)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Poll: who has driven the longest distance?
« on: May 03, 2007, 15:38:42 »
That is, in one trip, what has been the furthest from home you have ever taken your car?

In my case, this was on vacation from Amsterdam to Normandy in France (and back of course) in 2001, which I believe was around 500 miles each way. So not very far! But I am curious to know how far people have dared take their car on a journey.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Poll: who has driven the longest distance?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 16:04:28 »
Hey Cees. Back when I lived in So. Cal, I made the trip to Lake Tahoe several times (maybe 4?). From Santa Barbara to Tahoe is almost exactly 500 miles I think. Add a few dozen while I was there -- and another 500 back. Never had any problems to speak of.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 16:51:59 »
Hi, Cees,

Well, I did drive from San Francisco to Blacklick and back.  The straight-line distance is a little over 2,000 miles, but I drove just under 3,000 miles one way, and a little under 2900 the other.  (But you knew that.)

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 18:27:52 »
Hello David,

I think your trip will be hard to beat with almost 6,000 miles!  David will give a brief re-cap  of the journey at the tech session.  Your preparations, and any difficulties along the way along with a few photos will be very interesting.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 19:57:00 »
1500 miles plus a few side trips. Probably 2000 miles in all. Went from Cleveland to Eagle River Wisconsin. Figured it would be pretty cool up on the north shore of the Upper Peninsula. It was in the 90s the whole time. Wife says never again without AC and better seats.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 00:03:29 »
The longest distance I have travelled in my car was from our workshop, where we'd just finished assembling the car after changing the spring bushings etc, to the petrol station to fill up with fuel. At the petrol - or gas - station, we did a little 'halt check' and found that the wheel bearings were running rather hot. Having filled up the car with petrol, we drove back to the workshop and started on the wheel bearings. (See related post).

In all, 5.8 miles round trip.

I hope to be able to improve on that distance once I figure out why the engine will no longer start.

I am an optimist.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 01:36:57 »
3000+ miles touring around Norway and Sweden in 2004.
(That is excluding the ferry xing across the North Sea !!)
Ran faultlessly except for daily fill ups of fuel and engine oil top ups. [:p]

Met up with 3 local Pagoda owners while there.
Adds hugely to the travel experience.

Wish List:
Garden Route - S Africa  :D
Inca Trail - S America  :twisted:

naj

68 280SL
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 05:35:27 by naj »
68 280SL

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 06:18:48 »
Hi ,
This is all so interesting reading ....However ,I have a question to ask ...
With all the far out driving , how fast do you take your car [ Speed ]?
I have so far made local drives to keep the engine healthy at around 60/70 miles an hour , however I would love to push her further over 100 MPH as our ML 320 but am afraid of her over heating .

Kemal
280 SL Manual 69
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

George Des

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 08:51:29 »
I made the trip from Kaiserslautern Germany to Livorno Italy five or six times in 1982-83. Remember being concernned about making it all the way across Switzerland without having to refuel though. As American Military in Germany and Italy we were allowed about 400 litres of fuel tax free using coupons available at the PX/BXs--so gas was about what we paid for it in the US. The 230SL has a fairly small gas tank, but if I filled it at the last ESSO--yes ESSO not EXXON-before I crossed from Germany to Switzerland, I could make it all the way to the first AGIP or IP station in Italy without having to pay he exoribatant European gas prices--I believe right below Chiasso. Thought about carrying extra fuel in a Jerry can or other container one time, but did not want to risk having fuel vent into the trunk--since, I was a smoker back then! Can't remember how long this trip was but it was a long trip through some beautiful Alpine country with some long, long tunnels--one at least 17 kms. Never had a problem with the car on these trips.

George Des

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 12:05:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by kemal shah

Hi ,
I have so far made local drives to keep the engine healthy at around 60/70 miles an hour , however I would love to push her further over 100 MPH as our ML 320 but am afraid of her over heating .

Kemal
280 SL Manual 69

Where I live -- the roads are pretty rural, somewhat twisty and often patrolled so I rarely take my car much over 60 MPH. Also these days I take it easy on the old beast -- it has earned my respect. Having said this, once in a while on the highway -- I run it up -- I am pretty sure I can get it to 100 but I don't. Discretion being the better part of valor...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

George Davis

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 13:35:58 »
We've done two or three trips in the 1600 to 2000 mile round-trip range, and plan to do it again this summer.

I tend to cruise at speeds of 60 to 75 mph (100 to 120 kph).  75 mph/120 kph is right at 4000 rpm with the 3.92 diff, that's about as high as I want to take it for long distance driving.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

paulr

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 14:03:18 »
I am driving about 1000 miles a week these last six months, in and out of London and to Cornwall and The Lake District. I have taken my car to Sicily and often drive to France, all without a murmer or complaint. Not the most miles but certainly a lot. I don't make any special preparations other than checking the levels once a week and having it serviced about every 3 or 4 thousand miles. I am very happy with my car and count myself lucky. I drive at about 80 mph on the motorways, sometimes for 6 hours without a stop and the car is just wonderful, no hot start problems or overheating. I really would NOT give any trip a second thought.

paulr
lovely 1970 280 SL

steve bonds

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 14:09:16 »
you wont do your engine any of favors like this.It is reight to take the car out a long drive for its good health. If your car is overheating you have a problem not about the speed or distance but blocked heaters or bad cooler fluid. look here for the posts on overheating engine.

quote:
Originally posted by kemal shah

Hi ,

Kemal
280 SL Manual 69

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 15:27:24 »
Thank you ...

Kemal
280 sl manual 69
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 15:28:03 by kemal shah »
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 15:45:05 »
Speeds ... there have been some threads here about that in the past. I have taken the car up to as fast as she will go a few times (never prolonged though) and that was about 115 MPH. I have taken longer (few hundred mile) trips where I drove around 90 MPH and that went just fine. At that speed, you don't even hear the very high revving engine anymore, due to the wind noise.

Basically, if your are not sure that the engine is in good shape, you should treat it gently and not rev high. With my engine having been rebuilt relatively recently (2003), I drive very sporty and the car seems to like it just fine.

Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 16:07:11 »
Cees,

With your last post in mind and considering your (renown) paint job that was great value, did you manage to strike up such a bargain with a great mechanic for your engine rebuild, or did you do it yourself?

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 17:26:48 »
Hello James - on the paint front, I had some touch up work done last week at the same place, and again they did a marvellous job for little money. If you are still interested in getting your car done there, drop me a line and I will put you in touch.

The engine rebuild was covered here in several posts extensively. It was like this: I asked Joe Alexander if he would do it with my help, and he said yes! So all I needed to do, figuring Joe is in Ohio and my car and I are in Amsterdam, was find a rebuildable engine in the US, have it shipped to Blacklick, shipping myself (and wife and then 4-year old son) to Ohio, doing the work, then shipping everyone and everything back to Amsterdam. All this happened. The parts and machine shop work cost me around $1,900. That's including all new pistons, rings, bearings, valves, etc which I got from Will Samples in Texas. Joe donated his time and we video taped the whole process for prosterity on 10 hours worth of film. I will convert that material 'later' (probably when I retire in 15 or so years) into a chapter of the illustruous Manual. I then had the engine (actually there were two engines; one short block came with the other rebuildable one, and had already been rebuilt) shipped back to Amsterdam through a shipping company recommended to me by our friend Michael Salemi, for a mere $450. The customs duties back in Holland were more than that if you can believe it.

So basically because of Joe's generosity I ended up with a superbly rebuilt engine, a lot of fun and education in the process, and 'knowledge material' that will hopefully help out others in the future.

The reason I went through all that trouble is that, when I scouted around for a place that would rebuilt my engine, they all came down to three unknowns: (1) cost - no one would quarantee a price up front, (2) quality - people have had their engines rebuilt by proclaimed experts, only to have to have it done over again, and (3) time - no one would commit to a deadline. Just the three ingredients that a customer would like to see covered before committing to a major expenditure.

In the US, I believe Metric Motors (and there are probably others, such as Noel's in Florida) effectively do a good job. In Europe, I would not know who to recommend.

As for me, I liked the rebuilding experience so much (it was in a way like a 'final frontier' for me previously) that I have collected a total of 14 old suitable engines for future rebuilding, when I retire (in 15 or so years ...)

Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 21:48:07 »
Hello,
I was happy to help Cees with the project. We actually had a great time and we became good friends and our families became friends.

Cees did all you guys a very great service. He has not ever mentioned that he presented me with a brand new computer and monitor when the project was finished. It was completely unexpected and a surprise to me. Before then I was using an almost useless, slow and out of date computer. With this new equipment I have been able to help many of you guys with your pagodas. It has served all of us well for these years. Thanks you Cees from all of us!

That's the rest of the story!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430