Author Topic: 3 point seat belt recommendations  (Read 9559 times)

Amy McKenna

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Regular
  • USA, PA, Coatesville
3 point seat belt recommendations
« on: March 31, 2007, 18:33:48 »
Hello,

My sister has given me the family's '67 230SL.  The family has had for 30 years and was restored over 20 years ago.  It remains in very good condition, despite its storage the last several years.  :twisted:  We are addressing those issues now.

I would appreciate suggestions on the best approach to place a 3- point seat belt in this car.  It will be a driver and not a show car.
I am most concerned with function and safety.

Many, many thanks in advance!

Amy McKenna

PS....a special thanks to Naj for telling me about the Pagoda group!
Perhaps next time we do the Rt 66, or similar, trip we can use this car!

Amy
'58 220S Cabriolet
'67 230 SL
'12 ML350

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: 3 point seat belt recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 07:20:04 »
Amy,

Welcome to Pagoda ownership, and welcome to the group.  Also, kudos for actually using something that appears to be a real name!

Regarding your question, there is more then one alternative; none of them are particularly easy, nor inexpensive.

The first is using the factory guide; in May of 1989, MB issued a Tech Bulletin on installing 3-point retractables into the W113's, using a set of W114 (sedan) seat belts.  I have a set of these instructions and would be happy to mail to you; contact me off line.  I also had this done during a restoration and am very happy with them.  My own feeling, one which you might share, is that I would not drive a car without them.

You can also call the following men; Gernold Nisius of SL-Tech in Arundel Maine (http://www.sltechw113.com/) who I believe has a slightly different approach.  Ditto for Brian Peters of Motoring Investments (http://www.motoringinvestments.com/) and Mark Passarelli (http://www.ranchomerced.com/).  I believe all three of these men have done this kind of seat belt installation on these cars and can offer what they say is an improvement over the factory version.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 09:32:07 »
Hi Amy and welcome. This is a great site and there is tons and TONS of info on it - the search engine is massively useful.

I used Michael's instructions for fitting 3 point belts,  which he's sending to you. Since I've just done it, the job is still clear in my small brain. I've been asked by another member to write down a few comments about the job, which isn't hard, so here goes:

I have a US '67 230SL. My comments relate to my car and my experiences; your car may be different. My car has no back seat and has a soft top - this is relevant as cars that are different to mine will need some welding to be done to affix a the bar mentioned in the instructions - if your car is like mine, you don't need to buy the bar and you won't need to weld anything.

1. Get Michael's MB club instructions Ref MBNA 91/15 dated May 89. Get the seatbelt kit and parts. I got mine from SLS in Hamburg for about $200. You will also need 'threaded plates' which are also available from MB and are part of the seatbelt kit. (NB - the MB instructions say you need 4 of them; if you do this the way I did, you only need two).

2. Cut the plates as shown in Fig 1b - the one where you just cut off the top hole (ignore the more complicated plate it says you need to cut if your car is like mine - those are the plates you DON'T need).

3. Remove the carpet in the area you need to work, and the wooden shelves. Remove the trim covering the B pillar (6 screws, I think). On my car, the fittings for the 3 point belt were already there - these are shown in the figure 3 of the instructions. I used the hole directly by the number '3' in figure 3 of the instructions to attach my shoulder loop to. It is designed for that purpose; I've discussed it with SLS in Hamburg and they say its also fine. The 17mm bolts that come with the kit fit, as that's what that hole is for.

4. You will need to drill the holes in the bottom of the B pillar at the floor as set out in figure 5 (para 10 refers). Then you slide the plate you've cut into the area and secure it with a small screw - these don't come with the fitting kit - just use anything to hold the modified plate in place. The 17mm bolt is the one that takes the strain. The dimensions given in figure 10 are spot on - use them. If your car is like mine, ignore fig 5 and paras 10.1, 11, and 12, which are for a different car. (No welding required for this job).

5. Make the cuts as at figure 6/para 13. Use an angle grinder if possible as the metal is of good quality. I was saddened to see that I'd have to cut through the area that was marked with the check mark of the car assembler, but there was no alternative; it's a shame to destroy these uniqe signs of originality, but there we are. You will need to trim the vinyl and re-glue. Ensure you leave yourself enough to be able to secure the ninyl properly when you stick it back on. I cout away too much in a hurry.

6. Dry fit everything and check it's OK. The angle of the seatbelt at the shoulder will be a bit odd - if you want to make it better you will have to cut into the top of the B-pillar as shown in the instructions, but I have decided that I can like with it for now.

7. Before you fit everything, coat all cut/drilled surfaces with anti-rust paint. WHen fitting the belt rollers, put some locktite on the bolt threads to stop them coming undone; also do this at the shoulders.

8. Fit the belt locks (the thing the belt plugs into over your lap) to the correct position either side of the transmission tunnel. The holes should already be there - use a thin nail to find the hole if you have no belts there already. (Make sure you buy the shortest lock - SLS sell a 12mm long one - that's the size you need; anything longer and you'll break your rubs if you're in a smash).

9. Fit it all together. Put the B pillar covers back on and the wooden shelving - you'll see that the belt rollers are concealed neatly under the shelves - I put a thin piece of rubber tubing where the belt would rub against the vinyl on the B pillar trim to save wear on the belt and the vinyl.

That's about it. I avoided the welding and cutting into the car by using the existing holes. I admit that the sholder thingy is not perfect given the angle it sits at, but when the belt is on, it's as good as anything. I suggest you check out how it will sit and see what you want to do.

I'll post some photos soon.

Good luck.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 12:07:59 »
Hello, Amy,

quote:
PS....a special thanks to Naj for telling me about the Pagoda group!
Perhaps next time we do the Rt 66, or similar, trip we can use this car!

Good to 'see' you here.

You're getting good advice already I see.

Now, for the pictures....

Best wishes
naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 15:30:30 »
Welcome Amy
I check this site every day or so for up to date info ...
Great advice , plus some funny comments / discussions from members .

Regards
Kemal

280 SL Manual
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 15:31:09 by kemal shah »
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 13:51:08 »
What follows is a post sent off line to another member on my seat belt experience. A simple cut and paste so not written for here exactly:

Photo 1 shows the shoulder anchor point. If you’ve read my addition to that [now THIS] thread on the site, you’ll see that I have used the pre-drilled hole provided at the top of the B pillar rather than cut into the hood top and put the shoulder mount the other way up. (Re my comments about cutting into the panels – the fewer cuts the better). It was then simply a case of making a small cut into the vinyl and putting the bolt thru. I didn’t use the both that allows completely free rotation (it has a collar where the thread stops – you’ll see when your kit arrives) as it would have screwed up the belt a little as the bracket is top heavy. Instead, I used locktite to secure a normal bolt which allowed my to use a spring washer to impart a degree more friction on the shoulder piece, without denying it all movement (which would make putting it on a pain the posterior)

Photo 2 is of the B pillar with the cut away we’ve already discussed. Learn from my error: cut away a little at a time. I cut away about 8- 10mm too much. You can see that I’ve taken the photo with the wooden shelves in position to give you an idea of how tidy it looks. Not also that I’ve put a small piece of hose where the belt rubs against the vinyl to better protect both.

Download Attachment: DSCN1188.JPG
57.72 KB

Download Attachment: DSCN1189.JPG
63.51 KB
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

sjiatrou

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 16:38:33 »
Regarding 3-point seatbelt installation, I'm comfortable with how the retraction mechanism and pivot point install to the B pillar but am trying to determine the best way to install the receiver part of the belt.  My early '64 does not have pre-drilled anchor points on the center tunnel.  Has anyone installed 3-point belts on an early 230sl?  How did you anchor the receiver side?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)

jsaylor

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 21:33:28 »
Steve,

My '65 230SL, Built Oct.'64, has two receiver spots in the trans tunnel.      one lower and further back and one higher up and a bit more forward.  I used the after, lower one for my three point receiver.

Good luck,

Jim Saylor
Kauai, Hawaii
'65 230SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 13:33:25 »
Trust Naj to get to know the kind of girl that gets given a Pagoda!!!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

jeffc280sl

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 16:02:35 »
Steve,

I noticed the tunnel holes on my SL while servicing the drive shaft bearing.  I don't recall seeing a nut on the underside of the tunnel.  I think the tunnel was just tapped for a bolt.  I don't think it would be hard at all to drill a hole in each side of the tunnel and then push a bolt through the seat belt into the tunnel.  On the underside use a large washer and nut and tighten.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed