Author Topic: "the question"  (Read 3467 times)

peterm

"the question"
« on: March 16, 2007, 08:40:11 »
Had a call from my detailer last night (the man who has alwys done my sl for shows etc) he has another customer who wants a pagoda.  This started a 45 minute discussion that was only the tip of the iceberg.  It seems that with ownership comes a wealth of "knowledge" some good some bad that will likley constipate the knee jerk purchase response.
I pointed him to good informational sources for which he has no interest.  I then directed him towards ed cave as well as motoring investments, as i think his client has resources.  I even passingly thought about parting with my car if the price was right.  With knowledge comes responsibility I suppose.

Douglas

Re: "the question"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:51:21 »
It's amazing how even with all the information available to buyers, the act of purchasing a car is still an emotional/non-rational decision. I remember reading somewhere that you should take a friend with you when looking at cars & I think that's still excellent advice. Someone more objective needs to be the voice of reason in the buying process.

So is the question whether or not you should sell, Peter?

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

peterm

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 08:57:14 »
I'm actually annoyed that the thought of selling crossed my mind, yet when i looked at ed's car it helped to highlight the severe deficiencies my driver suffers from.  I think a car such as that is both a blessing and a curse.  Beautiful to look at yet a depreciating asset (not only economic but it would kill me to have to re-detail that engine bay before a show, just because i wanted to drive to starbucks!) if you use it!

I think I was just venting as to how obsessive compulsive we can become when ensconsed in this hobby and how difficult it is to convince others it would be in their best interest to do the same before purchase.

TR

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 12:03:50 »
Peter -- I get it.  Man, do I get it.

I'm not sure whether this will help or not; but I've owned the red 280SL for 22 yrs now and intend to keep it forever.  I've loved the W113 since I was a kid, and IMHO some things just get better with age; such as good art & architecture, some red wines, and certain cars.  The W113 seems to have the unusual ability to stay reasonably current with relative ease.  As a comparative example, my next door neighbor has a lovely little MG TF.  Pretty little thing.  But I wouldn't be interested in driving it or riding in it for any length of time.  On the other hand, my wife (who is particular in the extreme when it comes to comfort) recently declared the 280SL to be as comfortable as our CLK cabriolet on long driving trips.  And to us the 280SL is simply more interesting, more entertaining, and more fun as a driver than a newer or even a higher-performance car.

Personally, I don't care much for any depreciating asset.  But I have punched the calculator a lot, and figure in the long run (meaning decades) that by keeping the 280SL at the level of a "new car" it will actually cost less than buying another new (expensive) car every few years.  More fun, more interesting, and at a little less cost...with the hope that some day we W113 owners might actually see the values of our cars markedly increase.  Again, not that I ever intend to sell; I just happen to enjoy assets that appreciate more than those that don't.  Just one man's view perhaps...

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

sjiatrou

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 22:40:01 »
Ah yes, but be careful which friend you ask.  I went with a buddy to look at a 230sl and he started drooling over the car too!  I almost had to buy it just to keep him from trumping me!

(I ended up with the car though and it's a beauty - he went out and bought a BMW - his loss!)

quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

It's amazing how even with all the information available to buyers, the act of purchasing a car is still an emotional/non-rational decision. I remember reading somewhere that you should take a friend with you when looking at cars & I think that's still excellent advice. Someone more objective needs to be the voice of reason in the buying process.

So is the question whether or not you should sell, Peter?

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 22:42:46 by sjiatrou »