Author Topic: How much to spend on my wife?  (Read 7039 times)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
How much to spend on my wife?
« on: December 16, 2006, 08:16:26 »
Hi,
Since some of you probably have more experience in these matters I figured I pose the following question.

Happily married car nut is spending in excess of 12k on a paint job.

So just how big does this years Christmas present need to be?

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: How much to spend on my wife?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 08:23:09 »
Let her choose the colour and spend nothing....
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 10:56:49 »
Keep it small and maybe you'll have to sleep in the garage for a few weeks -- with that freshly painted "other woman"!

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 11:13:56 »
When she suggests spending 12K on a hobby of hers next year, what will you say?

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

norton

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 13:31:40 »
Never, ever let her know how much you spent. If that won't work for you try the old "investment strategy" story, Where you explain that before the paint job the car was worth $25,000 but after spending ONLY $12k it is now worth $45k ;)

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 14:51:33 »
I've already hit her with the investment line.

Unfortunatly what I thought was going to be a mid-line workover has turned major so early truthful estimates are out the window.

rhersberger

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 17:20:56 »
Find her a mint copy of the The Beatles "All You Need Is Love"

Rod Hersberger

Santa Barbara

'68 280 SL, red, tan, 4sp, two tops
'01 Jag S Type brg
'07 Cayman S Carmona red, sand beige

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 19:48:33 »
I just bought my wife a bike that cost more than my daughter's car!  

I've got the perfect wife...hates jewelry (she makes her own), hates flowers, but loves my car!

However, I never knew bikes could cost so much!
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Bob G

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 09:07:43 »
Never ever reveal the cost you spent on your metal mistress. It  could cost you later in when the wife goes shopping and  comes home with a new bed room suite equalling a sallery decresase of two year unless some of us "not me" are attorneys or highly skilled doctors.
This is your TOY its metal rubber and vinyl you roll it out on Sundays to the coffie store  to sit and relax and detract your mine from work, to take a relaxing drive down the coast and may be flert a little with a gestering look with the young laddies in their Miatas, but thats it .
You cann't tell what it cost to love, the only measurement is the gradification it gives you to continue with owning to a relationship with a classic car. The lucy ones have more than one.

Bob Geco

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 15:00:59 »
Bob,
I make or restore all the furniture so I am covered there. She has her iron bed that we rescued from her grandmothers junkpile.  I sawed it up and threw it in the trunk of my car. After I spent 45 hours stretching it from a twin into a queen it is now her "Heirloom" bed

Her hobby is cooking so I guess technically the new kitchen I am building is for her.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 21:45:14 »
My wife and I don't go "dollar for dollar".  We just do a "big thing for a big thing".  For example, I bought the Pagoda 6 years ago, so that was a "big" one for me.  But, I haven't spent much on it since.  Then we bought a new house, "big" for both of us.  But, since in the house, there's been "big" items that she's really wanted:

- new bedroom, living room, and dining room furniture
- a stone paver patio
- custom window treatments (just got the last ones)
- she moved up from a Nissan to a Lexus, and now is looking at BMW

So, she owes me "big" now.  I'm saving for the mechanical rebuild of the whole drive train from radiator to rear wheels, along with the fuel system, brake system, and other things.  No more "big" items for the wife until the Pagoda is ready for long vacation drives with all it's new parts.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 21:45:51 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 18:05:00 »
Watch out for this "big thing for big thing" gambit!  I got my Pagoda three years ago, then she who must be obeyed wanted to fix up the house a little.  So far she has outspent me about twenty to one!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 22:46:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hughes

So far she has outspent me about twenty to one!
I would not say that is any fault of hers!  [:0]

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Longtooth

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 01:59:24 »
Whatever it is, it's never enough.  She'll remind you of that $12k on a paint job everytime she want's something you might not think is economically justified or prudent... and whatever she wants to spend, it won't matter what the ratio of spending is.... it's women's logic... it's always inarguable because we can't figure out the logic behind it.  Face it... she's got what you can't or don't chose to live without.... so her logic and therefore spending is only a matter of what she can get away with... using that special logic you can't effectively argue with.

I bought my 250SL in '84... $11k with new tires, rubber, seals, brakes, etc.  Since then I've had to pay for a 650 sqr foot addition, an 1800 sq ft redwood deck, a new kitchen with all the latest & greatest wiz-bang appliances (waaayyyy overpriced) thruout, several 10 or 15 day vacations to Hawaii, two SL500's (one of which is for sale), no telling how much in the way of clothes, little 3-6 day trips to where-ever & whenever she wanted to go... go figure. Basically, i stopped trying to argue about it... it took time and energy, and I didn't win anyway (even if I thought I'd won at the moment). I'm in process of a new master Bedroom/Master Bath suite now.  She's already setting me up for landscaping our hill behind the house... which I like natural (looks good and is continuous with the entire ranchland behind us (open space and ranchland as far as we can see... well, at least for 20 miles of sight)... and I'm getting hints (or whatever you call them) to replace my trusty commuter with a big expensive 4 door sedan (she's looking at the S550 or CSL550 when we take her SL500 in for service)... so I'm getting nervous.  

If I spend an accumulated $1K on the 250SL in any given period of time she multiplies it by 5x (exaggeration is one way to have me acknowledge I spent $1k in defense of the exaggerated amount) when she reminds me of my expenditure and her wanting what she wants.  

Basically, I've learned... she get's pretty much whatever she thinks we ? (I) can afford whether I think I/we can afford it or not. The 250SL expenditures are just a convenient excuse.    

I used to think I controlled the big spending... which is what she let me think.  I finally figured it out after 20 years of marriage... we spent when she said so, and made me think I'd made the decision.  We've been married for 35? or 36? or is it 37? years.. I know our anniversary date (month/day) though.... I learned that this date is more important than any other to her.  I think it has something to do with when she became the boss.

I don't ask when I spend on the 250SL though... I say I'm going to spend $x on y and $x on z, etc.... then I do it.  I know the consequences will come later.... I just never know how much their going to cost me... nor how many consequences there will be nor for how long.

Multiply your expenditure on the SL by 2 year's net income after taxes.... that ought to cover it.... along with a new Home Equity Loan.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
'02 SL500 Sport

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 05:06:05 »
Longtooth,
Your story reminded me of the line in the movie "My big fat Greek Wedding"

"The man is the head of the house but the woman is the neck and she can turn the head any way she wants."

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 15:31:34 »
You guys. Here in Holland, we men always have the last word.

"Yes dear".

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

enochbell

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 15:40:23 »
You are all missing the point.  It should be a joy making her happy, in whatever way and at whatever cost that might mean.  And for your information, my bare metal three stage paint job only cost $300.  Genuine MB parts, including new Mahle pistons for my engine rebuild: :$175.  So I might not have as much to make up for as you guys, but I would still be happy to make her her happy even if it cost 5x what I have spent.  

Best,
g
cc. Mrs. g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

dwilli3038

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 20:15:26 »
When my new diver's side window arived from Miller's my wife said "Merry Christmas and now I need you to go to the antique store and hep me transport my antique china cabinet home ....its your xmas present to me".  In case you did not figure it out....it was more expensive than the glass

Daryl
'64 230 SL Buckeye Benz Scarlet interior and Grey top Serial # 508
'77 280SE