Author Topic: "Mercedes-Benz Classic" Magazine Article  (Read 3255 times)

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
"Mercedes-Benz Classic" Magazine Article
« on: November 15, 2006, 23:47:55 »
I was reading an interesting article in the March issue of the March issue of "Mercedes-Benz Classic" Magazine. The article "Pump Station" is on the current Bosch repair service for the mechanical fuel injection pumps.  It states that the Koller & Schwemmer Company in Nuremberg, took over the original manufacturing equipment, the design drawings, technical documents and replacement parts from Bosch for these vintage mechanical injection pumps.

They do offer rebuilding service, but it seems very pricey (2,550 euros for a two plunger pump), compared to the alternatives here in the US. I expect it is a bit more involved than the usual rebuilds.

Some interesting points are made in the article;

"just because it is a screw, it doesn't mean it has to be turned"

"Thousands of mechanical injection systems have been repaired or reconditioned there and, after being preset on special test benches, have left with a lead seal on them. The astonishing thing about it is that most of the supposedly defective pumps were not in need of reconditioning at all - they were merely improperly adjusted."

"An injection pump can easily outlive three engines."

"Moisture is the mortal enemy of high precision mechanics."

"The best advice that can be given to avoid wear caused by long periods of inactivity is: regular operation."

The article is fairly short, but has some nice photos and a lot of good insight and advice.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Vince Canepa

Re: "Mercedes-Benz Classic" Magazine Article
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 06:15:14 »
I also saw that article and could not agree more with their advice.  I always cringe when I see a post where someone is saying the pump needs to be rebuilt.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 08:08:40 »
Mechatronik have hired a Bosch retiree to work solely on the pumps so I am sure they could do you a rebuild as well, should you be so inclined
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 13:43:14 »
That was the first article I turned to when I received that issue.  There is so much common sense to first checking compression, then checking timing and then ignition, and then checking that the fuel pump is working before even thinking of tinkering with carburetors or injection systems.  Invariably the problems lie elsewhere.  Our cars are far more likely to suffer from subtle wear and consequent mis-adjustment of the throttle linkages than issues with the injector pump itself.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)