Author Topic: Chrome Questions  (Read 7131 times)

113gray

Chrome Questions
« on: October 08, 2006, 19:09:46 »
Hello Group. My rechromer is having heath problems & I have relied on him for several years for this work. I now have a bumper section with four inappropriately drilled holes & a small section of peeling chrome. I will want the holes (two 3/8" & two 1/8") welded closed & the whole piece rechromed. Can I expect an excellent result cosmetically (w/ no  exterior evidence visually of the holes or the peeling area remaining) with a generally reputable vendor? I do not need "show" perfection, but want a durable & good looking end result. Anyone with a recommendation for the Clearwater/Tampa Bay section of Florida would be a help also. TIA.    Jim Pancoast

jstuart

Re: Chrome Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 19:32:05 »
Wouldn't it cost less to just replace it?

Jay

1969 280SL

Longtooth

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 20:44:14 »
what's the distinction?

quote:
I do not need "show" perfection, but want a durable & good looking end result.

If I were in your shoe's I'd simply ask a rechromer for a guarentee that they can fill the holes and rechrome so that there's no evidence of the holes having ever been there... period.  Any rechromer that can't give you that guarentee is one I wouldn't use.... so you may have to visit them personally to compile the list of the ones that will provide the guarentee... meaning if it shows they either redo it 'til it doesn't, or if they don't chose to redo it, then you pay nothing and get the part back.  If the cost of getting a rechromer to guarentee their work is greater than that of simply buying another one without any holes --- but perhaps needing rechroming.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
'02 SL500 Sport

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 01:49:20 »
Since you're not aiming for show-quality, have you considered the aftermarket front bumpers commonly available on flea-bay? (assuming you need the front). They look good from the pictures, and they only cost about $350, which is on the order of what you'll probably pay a rechromer. Anyone have any experience with these?

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 07:04:49 »
There's also that company selling stainless steel bumpers.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

joelj

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 08:18:37 »
hi Rodd,

The stainless steel bumpers, is that the one from thailand?

Thanks

joel

1969 280sl auto
White exterior
Blue interior

Mike

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 16:05:08 »
Hi Jim.  I had my front bumper rechromed and holes filled in order to eliminate the bumper over rides.  The chrome was really dull bul not flaking.  The result was excellent and clearly as good as or better than new.  You cannot tell that the holes were filled in.  The downsides were two-fold, the cost and the time to complete.  He had the bumper for two months and charged $450.  Best regards,

Michael L. Hund

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 06:47:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by joelj

The stainless steel bumpers, is that the one from thailand?
These:
http://sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=5951

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 06:59:27 »
I can tell you this:

1)  Good stainless steel can be polished and finished to appear like good chrome.  There will be a slight different color to the metal, mostly visible only when comparing side by side.  The new OEM wheel covers from MB are highly polished stainless steel and they look every bit as good as chrome.

I can't tell you how good the Harrington Stainless bumpers are, though, as I've never seen them.  But the MB-OEM wheel covers are a great example of how SS can replace chrome, and do it well.

2)  It's been said before and I'll say it again: chrome plating, or shall I say, re-plating is expensive.

It's a misnomer to think that you can choose the price based on quality on some kind of sliding scale.  Just about the only people doing chrome plating are those doing it decoratively and custom; there is a certain quality level they do and that's it.  I'd be afraid of one who would adjust down his quality and price.

3)  Anybody should be able to fill in the holes and grind them smooth.  That's the easy part!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

113gray

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:20:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by Longtooth

what's the distinction?

Thanks to all responders. Mike's response was right on as far as answering what I needed.
Regarding the distinction between "show" & "durable/good looking", actually, there are probably 3 major levels of quality in chrome work: 1) Show- Near perfection & very expensive. Use for your pre-war 540 K. :) 2)Mid grade- less expensive (still not cheap), not as perfect as show, but very good appearance, perhaps w/ small defects seen up close, & almost as durable as show. As said earlier, I have been spoiled by the plater in CA that I have used for a # of years for 3 old MB's, but he has health problems currently. Quality very good, prices reasonable. Not easy to replace. 3) Bottom Feeder- this is the cheapest, may look acceptible initially at a distance, but flaking, rust, etc. soon appear. Used for instance, by some used car dealers to move inventory.
And thanks for your just posted response, MS! Having seen your car, no question about the level of your chrome, even if you don't show it much & drive it everywhere. It's the best.   -JP-
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 07:26:57 by 113gray »

joelj

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 09:32:17 »
Thanks Rodd.

Visited the posts and the website/

Cheers,

Joel

1969 280sl auto
White exterior
Blue interior

joelj

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 09:33:44 »
Thanks Rodd.

Visited the posts and the website.

Cheers,

Joel

1969 280sl auto
White exterior
Blue interior

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 05:37:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by 113gray

quote:
Originally posted by Longtooth

what's the distinction?

Thanks to all responders. Mike's response was right on as far as answering what I needed.
Regarding the distinction between "show" & "durable/good looking", actually, there are probably 3 major levels of quality in chrome work: 1) Show- Near perfection & very expensive. Use for your pre-war 540 K. :) 2)Mid grade- less expensive (still not cheap), not as perfect as show, but very good appearance, perhaps w/ small defects seen up close, & almost as durable as show. As said earlier, I have been spoiled by the plater in CA that I have used for a # of years for 3 old MB's, but he has health problems currently. Quality very good, prices reasonable. Not easy to replace. 3) Bottom Feeder- this is the cheapest, may look acceptible initially at a distance, but flaking, rust, etc. soon appear. Used for instance, by some used car dealers to move inventory.
And thanks for your just posted response, MS! Having seen your car, no question about the level of your chrome, even if you don't show it much & drive it everywhere. It's the best.   -JP-

I agree with your assessments of the levels of chrome quality.  What I hope you and everyone understands is that you generally don't get to choose this 1-2-3 quality and price at the same plater!  Generally, each plater will do what they do, and that's about it.  It would be rare to have a "menu" of plating choices, I think.  I was certainly never offered one, and I used 4 platers.

One plater I used here in Michigan does a 4-step "show-chrome" job with 2 steps of nickel (dull and bright) and most use only a single layer of nickel.  I think he did a great job; however a good friend who has a 1931 Mercedes Mannheim Cabriolet (yeah, Pebble Beach quality) says he isn't satisfied with that plater any more.

Interestingly enough, the most inexpensive (I use the term loosely) chrome plating on my car is the bumpers--which ironically is the thing that attracts the attention because there is just so much chrome to see!  That was sent out to a no-name plater by a bumper repair shop.  It's all the trim pieces that went to the platers with a name and somewhat of a reputation...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

113gray

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 06:40:47 »

"What I hope you and everyone understands is that you generally don't get to choose this 1-2-3 quality and price at the same plater!  Generally, each plater will do what they do, and that's about it.  It would be rare to have a "menu" of plating choices, I think.  I was certainly never offered one, and I used 4 platers."

Yes, I do understand that & agree entirely even tho' I didn't make the point as well.
I still need & hope to hear a recommendation from the group for a plater in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. (Hopefully, one better than the NFL or baseball teams there which are "bottom Feeders" for sure.)    -JP-