Author Topic: New vs. Old Alternator Bracket  (Read 4556 times)

113gray

New vs. Old Alternator Bracket
« on: July 30, 2003, 15:14:11 »
Hi to the Listers- Recently I found that my alternator ('66 230SL) was flopping around due to a faulty bracket. I was advised the "bushing was shot" but the fault after alternator removal was determined to be a fracture of one of the 2 steel bracket arms & not the bushing. With lots of long distance help by Joehio, I learned this was a common problem in early brackets & the design was changed to strengthen the later ones. The early one is NLA & the late does not require the bushing which is also NLA. Also, the block mounting studs are too short for the thicker late bracket & must be replaced. After installation, my alternator lines up fine & is stable both at rest & in operation.

However, because of the heavier bracket & possibly also a bit different angle of the arms, I had difficulty installing the old belt because of tightness. Then after adjusting proper belt tension, I found that the top of the alternator housing is tightly pressing on the undersurface of the upper radiator hose at the level of the clamp attaching it to the block. This is worrisome because the hose may wear prematurely at this point & fail.

Three possible solutions present themselves: 1) Weld & replace original bracket. 2) Don't worry about it. 3) Try a slightly longer diameter(? 3/4") new belt. #1 replaces an unsound design, I am may be incapable of #2, thus lean toward #3. There is still 7/16" of threads showing on the adjusting bolt & I am hoping the longer belt will allow the alternator to swing outward enough to free the point of contact. But am not sure the 3/4" is enough & I would love to hear some ideas/experience/advice from the list before trying this.
TIA.   -JP-

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: New vs. Old Alternator Bracket
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 22:53:19 »
Hello Jim,
I would not be surprised if a different later radiator hose is used with the newer bracket or possibly a different fan/alternator belt.? I will try to research it for you.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

113gray

Re: New vs. Old Alternator Bracket
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 11:48:36 »
Hi Joe- My radiator hose was replaced with a new MBz one +/- 3 months ago. The point of interference with the alternator is where the hose meets the metal connection going into the block so I'm not sure how a change in hose configuration is likely to help. -JP-