Author Topic: "Groupee" scam?  (Read 5758 times)

bjudd

"Groupee" scam?
« on: July 17, 2006, 21:46:04 »
this is the beginning of an email I received a week ago.    I searched "groupee" & "network" & found nothing.   Is this a scam?   Did others get this?

Registration Confirmation for Groupee

A site you visit (Pagoda113.com - The Mercedes-Benz 230SL/250SL/280SL Community) recently joined the Groupee network.  In order to smooth the transition , we have automatically created a Groupee account for you.  You can use the credentials below to login to this site on your next visit.

We have used the same password to create your Groupee account to make the transition as seamless as possible.  Given that your password may have been accessible to the administrators of the site prior to joining the Groupee network, you might consider changing the password on your new Groupee account via the URL below.

In order to use the Groupee Universal Login System, you must agree to the Groupee Terms of Service.  You will be prompted to do so upon your first login to Groupee.  Once you have agreed to the Terms of Service, you will not have to do so on subsequent logins.

---- NEEDLESS TO SAY I did not reply.

bjudd
1969 280 SL 5 sp

r.bartl

Re: "Groupee" scam?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 21:59:31 »
I got the same email last week.

roman

quote:
Originally posted by bjudd

this is the beginning of an email I received a week ago.    I searched "groupee" & "network" & found nothing.   Is this a scam?   Did others get this?

Registration Confirmation for Groupee

A site you visit (Pagoda113.com - The Mercedes-Benz 230SL/250SL/280SL Community) recently joined the Groupee network.  In order to smooth the transition , we have automatically created a Groupee account for you.  You can use the credentials below to login to this site on your next visit.

We have used the same password to create your Groupee account to make the transition as seamless as possible.  Given that your password may have been accessible to the administrators of the site prior to joining the Groupee network, you might consider changing the password on your new Groupee account via the URL below.

In order to use the Groupee Universal Login System, you must agree to the Groupee Terms of Service.  You will be prompted to do so upon your first login to Groupee.  Once you have agreed to the Terms of Service, you will not have to do so on subsequent logins.

---- NEEDLESS TO SAY I did not reply.

bjudd
1969 280 SL 5 sp

230SL, 1967
ivory with chocolate brown top

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 23:51:49 »
what a bunch of cynics we are

I didn't reply either. Although I tried logging into Dorian's site and failed as I needed a groupee account... ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 01:37:08 »
All,

quote:
A site you visit (Pagoda113.com - The Mercedes-Benz 230SL/250SL/280SL Community)

This is Dorian's site, and yes, he has relocated  :|

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 02:17:06 »
The e-mail version I received said something like, "because you already have a Groupee account..."  Funny thing is, this is the first I have heard of Groupee so I don't remember ever signing up and I don't know how to change a password.  

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 07:04:46 »
I got the same thing about 3 weeks ago and emailed our esteemed moderator about it.
It is in fact the Dorians site's new server.
No problem there, but was actually scared at first as it showed my password and user name correctly.
Can breathe now as it's not one of those phishing or vishing schemes.  
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel
1963 230SL-gas

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 06:44:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond

The e-mail version I received said something like, "because you already have a Groupee account..."  Funny thing is, this is the first I have heard of Groupee so I don't remember ever signing up and I don't know how to change a password.
Ray,

Read above, it says:
A site you visit (Pagoda113.com) recently joined the Groupee network. In order to smooth the transition , we have automatically created a Groupee account for you.

Please note that the Pagoda SL Group will not be modifying, creating, or using your accounts or passwords.  If for some reason we were making a change in our system we would contact you ahead of time.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 16:20:36 »
Well, I tried too and it said I couldn't log in with the email address I have. Not being all that great at computor stuff I've decided to leave rather than figure it out.
All I did was argue with the '' classic car '' 107 guys and read the same 113 posts over here. I'm too busy for that......

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC