Author Topic: SOS! Weird Ignition Key Problem  (Read 6611 times)

113gray

SOS! Weird Ignition Key Problem
« on: July 09, 2006, 13:23:50 »
Need some advice please. My car's running great, but on return from a trip today, cut off ignition as usual, engine stopped promptly, BUT couldn't get key out; could turn to right to to the next stop, but not further to start position. Also could then turn to left to off/locked position, but still couldn't remove key. My 230SL Owner's manual describes 4 positions, but mine has never had more than the Lock/drive/start positions & AFAIK, it is original. Then, After about 15 minutes of key manipulation back & forth, finally was able to remove key. Put some powdered graphite into key hole & this seemed to help for a few turns. Was able to go into start position a couple of times & also remove key several times w/o much difficulty. But then the process reverted to the initial problem. Then tried a spare key, same deal, no help. So, the lock mechanism is faulty I guess & I know nothing about ignition locks except I hear they're a bear to remove. What do I do now? If I can remove the lock, who do I take/send it to? Any locksmith or does someone more specialized required? Bummer!  :evil:  Any help very much appreciated. Jim Pancoast- '66 230SL Euro 5 spd.

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
Re: SOS! Weird Ignition Key Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 13:37:19 »
Is the steering wheel turned or are the wheels pretty straight.

Sometimes when the car is turned off with the wheels turned hard left or right the key sticks

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 15:34:08 »
Ken is correct.  The issue is back pressure of sorts.  If you have the wheel turned to the right or left there is a tendancy for it to want to straighten out as you move forward.  If the steering lock was pin was engaged when the steering wheel wanted to straighten out so to speak the pin may have some pressure exerted on it making it difficult to withdraw.  Have you tried turning the steering wheel gently to firm to the right and then left as you turn the key?  If this seems to help the binding would seem to be in the steering lock pin versus the key tumblers.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

113gray

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 18:17:45 »
Thanks for the replys. The steering wheel & front wheels are not turned at all & the steering wheel is not locked.    -JP-

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 21:46:20 »
Jim,

I have sympathy, but no answers!  My 230SL Euro did the same thing to me last month and I haven't driven it since.  I pulled in to a gas station (wheels straight ahead!) and stopped the car and pulled out the key.  Filled the car, got back in, put the key in the ignition, and when I went to start it the key would not turn far enought to engage the starter.  I tried to get the key out and it would not, even with lots of steering wheel manipulation.  It took what seemed forever, but I finally got the key out.  I then put it back in and it started right up.  I didn't have any more troubles during that trip and it's sat in the garage since.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 22:20:06 »
Hello Jim,

Occasionally these ignition/steering lock units go bad. The powdered graphite is a good start. I suppose you did try jiggling the steering wheel when this was going on?  Sometimes the steering lock is under load from the wheels making turning the key very difficult.
On some models you can turn the key to position one or two and remove the chrome cylinder around the lock tumblers. It pulls outward then the key is returned to the off position and the chrome cylinder can be removed. The "c" clip holding the tumblers can be removed and the tumblers along with it.

If you have to remove the ignition, as long as you can rotate the key you are way ahead. Rotating the key releases a pin which locks the ignition assembly to the steering column. We can get into that if removal is required. It is a chore since the center cluster and speedometer will need to be removed first. I will post some photos next evening.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 22:20:47 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

iceberg

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 22:44:08 »
Hi Jim,

There are many experts here and their advice is the best.  Joe Alexander's post right before mine is probably the most accurate.   I can however tell you that I had a similar problem and I took care of it in the following fashion:

Problem 1:  My iginition would cut out from time to time.
Solution:I took off the cut-out from behind the ignition tumbler.  I rescrewed it back on.
Problem 2: Same as yours, as well the ignition lock did not lock the wheel anymore.
Solution:  I removed the tumbler.  First I unscrewed the nut that holds the ignition lock to the steering column.  The I unscrewed the the metal strip beneath the steering column.  Do not unscrew it all the way, just enough to drop the steering column a bit.  This strip holds the column up, and letting the column drop and bit will give allow the ignition lock to slide off the steering column.  Next take off the speedo.  Witht he speedo out of the way it will give you access to get to the cutout behind the iginition lock.  Once this is done, then take the iginition lock off.  Next grease it a bit with what ever lubricant you think is best.  I used grease, but maybe powder graphite is best and I may use that next time.  My steering lock pin was also jammed.  At this point I lightly tapped the tumbler with a hammer.  the pin popped right out.  Then I lubricated it as best as I could and with the lock in my hand I had more flexibility to play around with the key.  Wriggling it back and forth till the lube got inside the tumbler and it began to function normally.  
Like I said, maybe I got lucky but it was a relief.  Please see if other members agree with this method and maybe then you can proceed. Again before you do something that may hurt your car or its parts, please take the advice of experts who know what they are talking about and unlike me have done this on a regular basis.  Also I think I must tell you that I had to take my steering column off along with other interior parts because I was refinishing my interior.

Regards,
H

Regards,
H
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 22:44:38 by iceberg »

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 23:05:38 »
Good breakdown "iceberg"!

Don't forget about that hidden pin which holds that ignition/lock unit in the column until the key is turned and the pin is pressed inward.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

113gray

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 18:19:17 »
Lots of good info from you guys. All of you know more about this than I, but I'm trying to learn. Update on my situation: The dry graphite didn't help so I mixed a suspension of graphite & alcohol & sprayed it into the key opening generously with a pump sprayer (Windex). Let it sit overnight in hopes that capillarity would carry the graphite into the nooks & crannies before the alcohol evaporated. Tried the key again this AM a couple dozen times & normal functioning has been restored! I drove it this afternoon (carried a cell phone & the graphite concoction). The lock operates smoother than ever. Don't know how long it will last, but at my age, I don't need "forever"!  :D  Thank you all.   Jim Pancoast
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 18:22:54 by 113gray »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 21:52:44 »
Glad you seemed to work it out Jim. Now, I have another concern -- Rodd! Hate to see someone grounded... Get out there and get to the bottom of your situation. Your car wants a spin! (or are ya saving energy for Dan's shin-dig?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 22:08:34 »
Good deal Jim!
I'll have to try your formula at next opportunity.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 12:28:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Glad you seemed to work it out Jim. Now, I have another concern -- Rodd! Hate to see someone grounded... Get out there and get to the bottom of your situation. Your car wants a spin! (or are ya saving energy for Dan's shin-dig?
James,

Working on:
- Pagoda World 8
- our local MBCA section's German Car Show.
(Pics from 2004 show: http://mbca.org/central_ohio/car_show.htm)
- getting house ready for big cookout party the weekend after we get back from Dan's and then week at Put-in-Bay.

Just too much to do to worry about fixing anything on the Pagoda.   :(

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 12:45:51 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 15:48:12 »
Fair enough Rodd. Given that your activities are mostly Pagoda-related, I'll give ya a pass -- but at least go out and do a quick detail, would ya...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

n/a

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 10:44:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by ja17

Good breakdown "iceberg"!

Don't forget about that hidden pin which holds that ignition/lock unit in the column until the key is turned and the pin is pressed inward.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio