Author Topic: New member introductions  (Read 822006 times)

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
Re: New member introductions
« Reply #1325 on: October 18, 2020, 15:13:39 »
LA 280SL,
Welcome to the group !!
May I make a few observations?
Please note, your key code is shown on your data card. You might want to remove that picture and upload a new one with the key codes blocked out. (fields 16, 17, and 18).
Also, I see you have radio option code 518 Radio Becker Europa Stereo (and 531 Power antenna). If you car has the original radio, it would be very interesting for me to see a picture of it. I will say that is a very rare option (in my opinion).
Two tone cars are very interesting too.
Enjoy your new ride and the adventure !
Mark
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

LA 280SL

« Reply #1326 on: October 19, 2020, 15:17:35 »
Thanks for the tip Iconic. 

Upon looking at the radio it does not appear to be the original Becker.  The original booklet and warranty cards are with the paperwork, but it looks to me to be a more modern unit, ala Blaupunkt, although it does not say so.  I’ll get a picture out to you soon.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 15:29:38 by LA 280SL »

tcobbett

« Reply #1327 on: November 10, 2020, 02:19:55 »
Hi everyone, my name is Tyler Cobbett. I'm excited to be joining the group. I own a '71 280SL named Stella. I've owned her since 2008, and have been slowly restoring her (using service shops), starting from the inside. So far I've replaced or rebuilt: the engine (rebuilt to first oversize), transmission, suspension, fuel pump, exhaust, and many other smaller items. I recently had her painted. I had a bumpin' stereo installed that is operated by my iPhone. My next project is the steering box, and so I'm eager to learn about rebuilding those. I use her as daily driver, just not enough days! I live in Menlo Park, CA. Feel free to contact me if I can provide any input.

bwiele

New owner of a long-time family 230 SL
« Reply #1328 on: November 18, 2020, 02:28:06 »
Hello to all,

I posted much of this a few days ago in a new thread in the Drivetrain section but realized hadn't done a proper introduction here.  I've spent the last couple of weeks looking through the various posts and topics (including Andy Burns' exhaustive restoration story).  It's great to have found such an awesome resource related to these cars - I joined as a full member right away.

As quick background, my father bought a lightly restored 1965 230 SL in 1984 when we lived in Paris, France.  He imported the car to the US in 1986 and has had it in the US ever since.  The car has moved around the country with him over the years, but has spent the last 20 years in California.  My dad isn't really a "car" guy, and unfortunately he really did the minimum amount of upkeep needed to keep the car running and usable.  Late last year he decided he needed to simplify his life a bit, and it was time to get rid of the car.  My siblings weren't really interested, and I didn't want to let it out of the family so I bought it from my dad (at a family price) and shipped it from CA to NY in March.  In contrast to my father, I am a "car guy", although my experience working on cars is limited to the basics.  I am very proficient at detailing and cosmetic maintenance.

I am planning a modest mechanical and cosmetic restoration of the car, not for any type of show purposes, but simply to have an attractive and usable driver car.  The project list includes such things as finding and stopping the oil leaks that have been going on for years, refinishing the hard top, replacing the soft top, replacing the seat covers and foam cores, replacing the seat belts, and doing some restoration to or replacement of the leather on the dashboard.  I will also do an "in-place" detailing of the engine and engine bay (as much as possible) and a painful cleaning of the underside of the engine which has a lot of accumulated crud and oil.  I fortunately have a 4 post storage lift in the garage so I will have access to the underside. I had been planning to start this work during the spring & summer but Covid created a lot of distraction and I just never got around to focusing on it until recently.

Here's a picture of the car (and me) last December when it was still in California.  Looks good from a bit of a distance.  I have much work to do...

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
« Reply #1329 on: November 18, 2020, 15:48:17 »
Welcome on the forum and it's nice to see a "parisian" 75 pagode in USA  ;)
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

bwiele

« Reply #1330 on: November 18, 2020, 16:47:26 »
Thanks!  We've kept the French plates on the front and back, and have attached a California plate below the French plate in the rear.  Now that the car is in NY it would not shock me to get stopped without a NY front plate on it, but I will try to reason with the officer and failing that, just pay the ticket.  Some things just can't be done...

masuthard

• Junior Level
  • USA, GA, St Simons Island
  • purchased my 69 280SL in 1977, still have it!
« Reply #1331 on: November 24, 2020, 21:03:38 »
Hi, I am a new member after owing my 1969 280 SL since 1977.  First saw one while in college in 1968 and fell in love with the car. My car is white with white hard top and black soft top and black interior.  It is a four speed manual with AC. 

I bought the car in Delaware but it has since been titled in Georgia, Texas, New Jersey, North Carolina and now Georgia again.

It has not been restored, simply maintained as best I can.

Looking forward to learning new tricks from the fellow SL lovers.

Mike

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #1332 on: November 25, 2020, 16:13:57 »
Mike,

Welcome. Quite a history - owned since 1977! I am sure you will find many people here ready and willing to assist.

Please explore the site as there is a lot of helpful information about the car and repairs.

Also - when you get a chance post some photos, we all just love to see the pictures.

Happy Holidays!
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Logix66

• Junior Level
  • USA, OH, Toledo
« Reply #1333 on: December 01, 2020, 18:24:30 »
Hello, I'm John from Toledo, Oh, I just purchased a 1968 280SL. And am going to need help and assistance on various things with this car, lol. The car was purchased new by my girlfriends father in 68' from a local dealer and has remained in his ownership until now, he actually passed away in 2007 and stopped driving the car in 1986. This car has been sitting since then in the garage of there family home until i had to move it out due to the family finally selling the house. it has a few nicks in the paint and a couple of dings in the driver door due to being under the cover and grand kids knocking something around by it. The keys were lost or stolen at some point in the last 10 years since anybody has seen them so moving was fun but not that hard really.
I have drained the fuel or varnish rather, and will clean out all the fuel lines and remove all other fluids. Have put some Marvel down into the cylinders and started to clean her up a little bit. I have breathed new life into old Camaro , pickups , Cutlasses but they aren't built to the tolerances of this car ! Every single part on this car is original, it has 53,000 and some change on the odometer. I want to keep it that way but still drive it with the misses.
Where do I start ? It is winter now here and not in any hurry to put it on the road but would like to drive her in the spring.
First pic was her resting spot for years !! 2nd is her new home, as soon as all that other stuff is gone !! LOL
I'm no millionaire , just a lucky stiff, paid $12,500 for it hope I didn't over pay but she is pretty much rust free except a little on drivers floor panel. Oh, and the heater control levers all turned to paper mache .
John Peters
1968 280SL

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
« Reply #1334 on: December 01, 2020, 19:14:08 »
Hello, I'm John from Toledo, Oh, I just purchased a 1968 280SL. And am going to need help and assistance on various things with this car, lol. The car was purchased new by my girlfriends father in 68' from a local dealer and has remained in his ownership until now, he actually passed away in 2007 and stopped driving the car in 1986. This car has been sitting since then in the garage of there family home until i had to move it out due to the family finally selling the house. it has a few nicks in the paint and a couple of dings in the driver door due to being under the cover and grand kids knocking something around by it. The keys were lost or stolen at some point in the last 10 years since anybody has seen them so moving was fun but not that hard really.
I have drained the fuel or varnish rather, and will clean out all the fuel lines and remove all other fluids. Have put some Marvel down into the cylinders and started to clean her up a little bit. I have breathed new life into old Camaro , pickups , Cutlasses but they aren't built to the tolerances of this car ! Every single part on this car is original, it has 53,000 and some change on the odometer. I want to keep it that way but still drive it with the misses.
Where do I start ? It is winter now here and not in any hurry to put it on the road but would like to drive her in the spring.
First pic was her resting spot for years !! 2nd is her new home, as soon as all that other stuff is gone !! LOL
I'm no millionaire , just a lucky stiff, paid $12,500 for it hope I didn't over pay but she is pretty much rust free except a little on drivers floor panel. Oh, and the heater control levers all turned to paper mache .

Hi John, my name is John too and I am in Columbus. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. I think you will find everyone here to be very helpful. Familiarize yourself with the Technical Manual on this website, there is a lot of information on waking up a dormant car.

You got an amazing price, I'm sure others here will be jealous of. Every single Pagoda needs heater controls, if they haven't been done. I Just finished doing a set Saturday.
1969 280SL

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #1335 on: December 01, 2020, 19:14:51 »
Hello John, Welcome to this Forum. You will find lots of help here. The car looks to be in good shape and yep, those doors, unfortunately, are soft as butter. my car sat for a number of years and was lucky to find a good mechanic to get back into good running order. My levers had dissolved also and replacements are available (for $$$). If you still have some of the documents that came with the car, they might be of help getting new keys. Please post some more photos after you get it dusted off, and "$12,000" was a VERY good price!!

(yet another) John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #1336 on: December 02, 2020, 04:13:28 »
Hello John, welcome to the group.  The mileage you indicate is similar to that of my 1969 and if the car is one owner and all original and hasn't suffered from salty roads, you likely have yourself a very fine example. 

Do you have documentation on the car from the original owner? One important document is the data card.  If you are not familiar with this you can find details in our technical manual.  Click on the "Technical Manual" just to the right of the "Home" button above and familiarize yourself.  The data card will have the key numbers that you can use to reorder keys for the car as well as other important information about the car. The Technical Manual includes a wealth of other valuable information that will be a big help to you in bringing the car back to life.

If the car is as original as you indicate there will be details that are of great interest to all of us here. When you have removed some of the grime perhaps you can provide some detailed pictures of the car.

Again welcome to the group.  We look forward to learning more about your car. 

Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

Logix66

• Junior Level
  • USA, OH, Toledo
« Reply #1337 on: December 02, 2020, 12:57:11 »
Thank you guys, I'm very excited about this project and literally have had the car at my house for like 6 days. The data card is probably with the keys... I did last night check all the numbers or placements at least , all are there and spot welds galore under the hood. When I moved it I screwed up one of the lines going to the fuel pump (main line) and it has been drip draining for 6 days now. pretty sure she is empty at this point but didn't want to wrench or cut anything til its empty and no more smell, its very very close. I did clean the windshield and chrome strips around it , mirror and windshield wipers. Its been forever since i had a car that actually needed to polish the windshield wipers !! lol They look great !!
John Peters
1968 280SL

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #1338 on: December 02, 2020, 16:09:03 »
John, let me add my welcome to the group.

Please take lots of pictures of the "as found" car. As Ralph stated, the original details are the things we all continue to learn about.

There is a lot of information on this site - learn to use the search function for the forum.

The technical manual is also a great reference.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Logix66

• Junior Level
  • USA, OH, Toledo
« Reply #1339 on: December 02, 2020, 16:17:55 »
where should i post those pics, or start a new thread of it ?
John Peters
1968 280SL

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #1340 on: December 02, 2020, 20:15:46 »
If you would like to post pictures, put them in the photo gallery area. Tap on the orange ‘home’. button at the top of page and you will see the different forum sections available to post to.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

ray15626

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Torrance
« Reply #1341 on: December 06, 2020, 05:58:14 »
Hello,

My name is Ray. I recently joined this forum. I do not own a Pagoda much less driven one. But I always wanted one. I have been doing research about them and hopefully become a lucky owner someday.

Thank you,

Ray

Hugh

• Regular
  • Canada, Ontario, London
  • Former Pagoda SL Group Board Member
« Reply #1342 on: December 07, 2020, 02:17:09 »
John, I would also like to welcome you to our group!

Your car looks good from what I can see. $12,500 is a very good price paid considering a hood is worth $6,000 and a decent hard top $4,000... One thing that is important to make sure you don't drive on really old tires, even if they have tread left, but are really old, they are unsafe. I found Coker Tire had what I needed, as most tire places don't the size we need. Have fun getting you car ready for the Spring!  Hugh
1967 Mercedes 250SL
1988 Ferrari Testarossa
1930 Ford Model A coupe
2011 Mercedes e350 sedan

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #1343 on: December 07, 2020, 15:00:40 »
Oh, that's a lovely sleeping beauty that just needs to be carefully woken up!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

DAKA

« Reply #1344 on: December 13, 2020, 12:25:07 »
Hi
I'm Daniel, originally from NY now in south FL
I owned a 250 SL back in the late 70's, Burgundy/Black USA automatic....I sold to when I bought a 911...
Now I am looking to buy another Pagoda.
Looking at the prices that they are selling for on Bring A Trailer has discouraged me a bit, I find it unbelievable that people are paying these prices for what is basically "Pig In A Poke" (buying "unseen" from a description and pictures)
Hopefully I will be able to find a "reasonable" car at a "reasonable" price....

JM Girardot

• Junior Level
  • USA, GA, Blairsville
« Reply #1345 on: December 15, 2020, 23:38:04 »
Hello everyone,
I am JM Girardot, originally from France but now in Georgia and joined the Pagoda organization one year ago.  Previously, my hobby was photography but the passion wasn't there anymore and my wife reminded me of our days in early 70s when I would change pistons/rings and such in our Renault 4L before going on trips to Romania and Turkey through the Grossglockner, Austria and other places.  So, I started to look at something simple such as Citroen 2CV, Citroen DS 19 even Citroen SM, but the prices were too high and was afraid of not finding parts, I looked at Mustangs but found that they were too many and then I saw the W113 280 SL Pagoda.  I drove one, a good ride but the rust was an issue after inspection by me and a car appraiser and the color wasn't right.  Then, I saw one in FL, dark green with tan interior, beautiful.  Lust at first sight.  I got the car examined by an inspector and got a clean bill of health, no rust, relatively new engine (not original but correct!), drives well and according to him I could drive the car from FL to Atlanta without any problem. I just needed to replace the rear axle mount.  I flew to FL to get the car and 10 minutes later, on the highway the coolant temperature was going up and up, passed the red and I had to stop.  I spent the night in FL and had the car shipped home.  Since then, and with all great people comments and conseils HERE in this site, I have replaced all shocks, tie rod assembly L&R, drag link and steering dumper, radiator fan and thermostat, the clock went for conversion to Quartz, the sway bar bushings were replaced.  The brake fluid was leaking inside the engine compartment, destroying the paint.  The floats in the brake fluid reservoir were at the bottom but no warning lights were on and I still need to solve this issue.  Then, one day the car started to shake strongly and found a very bad flex disc, worn u-joints and central bearing.  I just got the repaired drive shaft from Drive Line in Roswell and will be refitting it next week.  I probably left few things but this is the car in a nutshell.  The engine does a lot of clickety-click on acceleration, the steering pump and the transmission are leaking and most of the greasing nipples were kind of blocked or simply missing.  I love the car even if a new paint job will be required soon, the soft top to be replaced and readjusted so it doesn't teat when closing and on and on.  I found one breathing tube in side the engine compartment that is just floating around as well as red wire without anything to be connected to.  I am 76 year-old and thus have plenty of time to enjoy this new hobby.  Sorry for this long paragraph!  Also, did I say that I paid too much for the car!  😂
2004 S500
1972 280 SEL Blue/silver top. SOLD
1972 280 SEL Light green. SOLD

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #1346 on: December 16, 2020, 12:00:03 »
Welcome JM,

and since your hobby was photography, upload some pics here... we always love that!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #1347 on: December 16, 2020, 15:55:47 »
JM

Welcome to the group. I will second Peter's comment. We love to see the photos.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

JM Girardot

• Junior Level
  • USA, GA, Blairsville
« Reply #1348 on: December 16, 2020, 18:50:52 »
For some reason I can upload pics but when I post the screen become white and there is nothing.  Only the avatar works!
2004 S500

JM Girardot

• Junior Level
  • USA, GA, Blairsville
« Reply #1349 on: December 16, 2020, 19:14:08 »
Sizes too big!
2004 S500