Author Topic: Wiper connections  (Read 4399 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Wiper connections
« on: April 14, 2006, 09:40:29 »
Note: this is an older thread from 2006 -- but has turned relevant again in 2009...

Would anyone know why my wipers move sometimes when I start my car? Also, yesterday I went over a bump in the road and they started. They don't stay on, they just go up about half way. Very annoying. Thanks.

James
63 230SL
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 17:42:43 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

jeffc280sl

Re: Wiper connections
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 10:06:40 »
James,  
I suspect there is a short in the wiper wiring that is vibration related.  It may be in the turn signal stalk or elsewhere.  Switches are packed tightly in the stalk and may have come loose and subject to vibration.  If you are very carefull the stalk can be removed, partially dismantled and cleaned.  This may help.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 13:36:34 »
Thanks Jeff. Well maybe I'll study my "new color" wiring diagram that came in the mail yesterday! Nice issue guys!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 17:41:41 »
Hmmm, wonder if we have come full circle here. I am currently trying to figure out why my headlamp flasher doesn't work (ad naseum in another thread). I am focusing on the stalk right now -- having had a situation where the flasher came on when the stalk was pushed down instead of back, then it seems to have died altogether, but is pulling juice from the battery.

Could this long-ago issue of a sporadic wiper with a mind of its own have evolved into new troubles on the stalk? Is there any relationship to the wiper relay that could be involved?
James
63 230SL

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 22:11:15 »
James,

After reading this plus the flash to pass thread on the other forum, I suspect that all the points you're mentioning are related to one single piece in the car that manages all those functions, that is the Multi-Function stalk on the steering column.

Have you removed it yet? If so, please let me know what the procedure to remove it is (could not find this on the Haynes manual) as I believe mine is going down the same path as yours.

Also, do your turn indicators ALWAYS self cancel? Do they ALWAYS engage when you use them... or do you sometimes have to hold the stalk down for the turn signal to work?

Thanks,
Andres