Author Topic: Glovebox door close adjustment  (Read 7527 times)

Rocket

Glovebox door close adjustment
« on: April 10, 2006, 02:25:01 »
I have just reinstalled the glovebox, and the door doesn’t close quite tightly enough with the lock.

The slider inside the glovebox door on the back of the glovebox key/barrel locates when twisted onto the underside of the dash against bear metal. I have bent the inside of the dash down to improve things, but it makes a nasty metal grating sounds now when the lock is closed and is still slightly loose.

I can’t believe this is right, so before I bend it any further is there supposed to be a piece/adjuster in here where the slider twists over to make this adjustment.

Rocket

230SL 1965

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Glovebox door close adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 06:39:34 »
Rocket,
Have you installed the spring on the glove box door?

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Dick M

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 11:11:17 »
Try this discussion to find picture of how spring should be installed.... helped me a lot.
http://index.php?topic=3029,box,spring

Dick M
1970 280SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 13:46:57 »
Dick M.,
Found this thread mentioned in the thread you provided a link to.
http://index.php?topic=2138+box+door+hinge

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

enochbell

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 18:13:41 »
Rocket,

These comments may sound a bit simple-minded, so if you have already gotten past these issues, then please disregard.  But...

Did the door fit properly before you disassembled?  These dash pieces have quite a bit of play, they need to be carefully aligned.  If you renewed the leather box lining, then everthing will be out of whack.  The screws (hidden behind the leather) need to be nearly flush, both top and bottom, or they will restrict closure.  The keeper nut on the light switch must be on the right way and completely tight.  And lastly, if you had any reason to disassemble the locking mechanism make sure the tang (the thing I think you were adjusting by bending)is on properly.  Once you have all that straight you will have to take it apart and reassemble, from the bottom bolster up, to get everything to look staight.

Hope this helps,

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 03:17:53 »
Thanks for the suggestions/links. I hadn’t realised that the spring held the door shut, not the lock and that was essentially the problem. I spoke to Naj who diagnosed the problem and kindly offered to help out if necessary, but the spring was simply bent in the middle and the two sliders were not overlapping. Problem now resolved.

Just out of interest is there any particular reason why the wiring loom doesn’t have a  direct plug connection for the glovebox light (like most other things behind the dash),  but instead has to be connected up via  a terminal block mounted on the side of the heater ducting under the dash? Also do you take the power for the radio off the courtesy light power feed?

Rocket

230SL 1965

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 15:46:19 »
Rocket, I wondered about that wiring arrangement too. So, when I had the box out last time, I put an in-line connector on the wire.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe