Author Topic: Headliner stains  (Read 4213 times)

Zach

Headliner stains
« on: March 30, 2006, 18:00:59 »
Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning what appears to be rust stains on the headliner of the hardtop? Also, the car smells a little funky after the hardtop's been on all winter. What's that about?
Now that the top's off the car it's easier to deal with.
Thanks.

Z
66 230SL Euro 4spd

hauser

Re: Headliner stains
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 23:06:54 »
You may want to try your local dry cleaner.  I'm not sure if they would give you a small anount of their product to try on the stain.  

As for the smell, I keep a couple cedar blocks on the floorboard.  You may want to try spraying some type of deodoizer such as Febreze.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 23:38:10 »
there was a post here in the last 2 months that a guy dyed it.  The picture he sent in looked great.  Search here or the other forum.  I was thinking about doing for my top because of the nice result.
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:07:05 »
1. Re-dye the headliner. It's the only way (short of replacing it) to get it back to its original color. See leatherique.com or other comparable vendors. (To read more on this, see the 3rd & 4th paragraphs at http://motoringinvestments.com/RestoLog3.htm)

2. Check for signs of rodent infestation in the engine bay, behind the radio, throughout the interior......

Douglas Kim
New York
USA
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 06:11:03 by Douglas »