Author Topic: - - Symptoms of a failing brake booster?  (Read 2746 times)

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
- - Symptoms of a failing brake booster?
« on: March 24, 2006, 18:23:53 »

Hello All - -

Lately I have noticed a significant increase in the pedal pressure required to make a "normal  braking rate"  stop. The pedal feel is very firm , not at all spongy . Hoses are new, wheel cylinders are new, no fluid loss.

Depressing, then releasing,  the brake pedal at a stop sign will raise this to 1400 RPM and then drop it to 900 RPM's when I lift my foot..  I realize that some of this increase is normal because of the engine vacuum draw-down required to actuate the booster.

However the RPM's do not wind back down like they should if I maintain pedal pressure. Only by releasing pedal pressure do the RPM's  drop off.

The hose over to the booster is all new and a bench check of the check-valve seems to  be fine. Connection clamps have all been upgraded and  have been retightened.

Could this problem indicate some air  by-passing  around or through the diaphram?  

I have seen mention  on this site that these  boosters are known to be very durable and trouble-free. However, this particular SL was slumbering in a Texas warehouse for more than five years before returning to service very recently. I suspect the old rubber is beginning to deteriorate and is gaining some porosity.

- - -Ideas from someone who has been here?

Thanks in advance,  Larry in CA

Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TDT (Concours, 86K w/ GETRAG 5sp)
1982  300TDT (rough and rusty)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 cabriolet

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: - - Symptoms of a failing brake booster?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 21:06:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by lurtch

Could this problem indicate some air  by-passing  around or through the diaphram?
Yes
quote:
Originally posted by lurtch

I have seen mention on this site that these boosters are known to be very durable and trouble-free.
Larry,
My 1966 230SL still had it's factory original booster when I bought the car in 2000.  It needed replaced, so I don't know how many years it really lasted.  The car still stopped, but it stopped MUCH better after the booster replacement.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL