Author Topic: I did the dreaded dash removal job - some Q's ?  (Read 14490 times)

Ben

I did the dreaded dash removal job - some Q's ?
« on: January 23, 2006, 03:24:15 »
Guys as part of my body stripdown before my car goes to the bodyshop I took a deep breath on Saturday and started to strip the dash in order that it can be painted and I can get the wood out to repair it !

Well thanks to the years of reading here and all those tips, I've read so much info on all of this that I felt I had already done it !

Anyway I completed the job in under 2 hours ! Glovebox out, chrome out, heater levers out, speedo, tacho and all the wood out !

Boy that tacho is tight to do !  I have big hands but I forced them into the area and located and removed the thumbscrew first time, it only took a couple of minutes..............and then another 20 or so to get my damn hand out !!

Lots of scrapes but no cuts !!   :D

Now I still have the vents on both ends to remove, and my question is how do they come out ?? The seem to be just pressed on with some studs but its tight. I can move the assembley but it piovots or hangs on something. Do I need to disconnect anything else and is there a trick to pulling them off, like rotating them or something ?

Also how are these end pieces restored ? It seems that they are one unit, mine is an early car and these parts are painted body colour. Do folks just rechorme the lot or what ?

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
Re: I did the dreaded dash removal job - some Q's ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 04:06:48 »
There is a small retaining fastener that is attached to the stud on the vent.  Caution in removing the retainer is important as the stud is relatively fragile and will break-leaving you with chrome vents that will go back on but, with no pin to attach the fastener to, will be loose and may rattle.

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
1970 280sl Deep Red (Project Car)
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

Ben

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 04:43:43 »
Okay Tom thats good info..........thanks !

So there is nothing else, just two pins on each side and pull out carefully !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Tom230sl

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 10:49:24 »
pics for reference...

Download Attachment: P2190006.JPG
50.24 KB

Download Attachment: P1230049.JPG
48.65 KB

Download Attachment: P2190002.JPG
52.94 KB

Ben

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 11:22:34 »
Yep got them out now !

Thanks guys !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 12:39:19 »
Good Job Ben. You are venturing into territory I only dream of.

While on the topic of the side vents, one thing I have never heard discussed is the replacement of those black levers. Each time my kids would get into the car seat, I cringe as their little Weebocks get perilously close to that lever... Are these levers available?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 13:15:07 »
Arrgh, I hope you are not forgetting the small hook that rests under the long vent tube.  This hook hooks to the metal dash to keep it snug to the dash.  Let's hope it's not broken off yet.  I'll post some pics tonight of the small hook.

Here's the small picture of the trim piece backside.

Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel
1963 230SL-gas

Download Attachment: Picture1 012.jpg
60.2 KB
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 12:21:43 by waltklatt »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 14:39:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

While on the topic of the side vents, one thing I have never heard discussed is the replacement of those black levers.  Are these levers available?
James,
Not for our cars!  If you are talking about the black plastic lever that slides side to side to open the circular vent shown in Tom's pictures.  I have one of each on my car, one with a horizontal grip and one with a verticle grip.  I can't recall which is original to 230SL, but you can't get it.  Look for parts cars.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 14:40:24 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 15:08:52 »
Yikes. Thanks Rodd. Mine are fine for now -- just have to keep little feet off 'em.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 06:43:23 »
Ben,
Does the air vent on your car look like this?
Is there another flap at the end?

Download Attachment: Air_Vent2.JPG
39.2 KB

naj
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 06:45:39 by naj »
68 280SL

Ben

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 08:02:08 »
Hi Walter, actually I din't know there were little tags like that but I felt the pieces had to be lifted off the studs and then raised so the extension into the vent cxould clear the metalwork.

In doing so it lifted off the tags without braking !

Naj that photo looks pretty much like mine from what I recall !

All done now and off to the shop on Friday !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 21:09:57 »
I'm going through the same process, getting the car ready for the paint shop.  I see the studs w/ the retainer but have two questions:

1.  I can only see the retainer on the stud towards the center of the car, the other is hidden behind ductwork.

2.  How's the duct removed from the back?   Must the vent be removed first?  It looks like it screws together but I can't get access to it with the vent still in the car.  

My thought would be to gently pry the top of the vent out to release the retainer on the studs.

Any thoughts?   Am I just missing something here?

:?

Dana DuBois

1969 280sl auto
blue (906)
Corinth, TX
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 08:19:38 »
[Dana,
look at the large black plastic duct and follow it towards the front of the car.  There you will see 2 small phillips screws.  Remove them and the duct can be dropped and slid out.  Mind you remove the plastic closer knob(opens and closes the vent) from the front first.
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel
1963 230SL-gas

Ben

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 03:36:22 »
I didn't bother reoving the duct, it simply pulled off the rear of the vent as I withdrew it !

You may have to peel back the leather dash covering to reveal another screw and this will allow you to move the dash covering a little so you can pull the vent outwards and upwards at the same time, i.e prise it off its studs then pull upwards and outwards !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 23:16:11 »
Thanks Walter, I've gotten them out.  Now if I can just keep track of my stacks and stacks of removed parts.  I've basically now got a car w/ a steering wheel and one seat.  I'll be transporting tomorrow to get a nice new coat of of 906 blue after removing the current paint.   8)

Dana DuBois

1969 280sl auto
blue (906)
Corinth, TX
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

benzportland

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 13:31:59 »
I know this is an old post, but I found this part is available through the classic center now, $5.50.  

quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

While on the topic of the side vents, one thing I have never heard discussed is the replacement of those black levers.  Are these levers available?
James,
Not for our cars!  If you are talking about the black plastic lever that slides side to side to open the circular vent shown in Tom's pictures.  I have one of each on my car, one with a horizontal grip and one with a verticle grip.  I can't recall which is original to 230SL, but you can't get it.  Look for parts cars.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 17:17:17 »
Interesting! Happen to have a part number? That strikes me as a good price. Mine are actually fine but might want to have a back-up!
James
63 230SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 17:56:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by benzportland

I know this is an old post, but I found this part is available through the classic center now, $5.50.
Which one?  In my post, I write, "I have one of each on my car, one with a horizontal grip and one with a verticle grip."  If I recall, the verticle grip is original for 230SL, horizontal grip for 280SL.  The newer part has always been available and at an afforable price.  The older version was NLA.  Can you confirm which part(s) MB has available?

Side note:  Walter Klatt brought me a correct-for-230SL lever at PUB 2007, so I'm set.  Thanks again, Walter!
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

benzportland

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 20:59:52 »
It actually appears to be the horizontal grip, it is listed on Ebay also, listing number 280229503949 and there is a picture there.  Sorry I forgot to get the part number and didn't think to ask if it is the original version.  I'll let you know for sure when I get it. In my case the driver side one is completely missing so I think I will settle for it.

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 08:07:21 »
Yes, the verticle grips match, or are similar to, the grips on the heater levers.  I'm not sure when they changed to the horizontal grip, but the new horizontal style is correct for 280SL and availble for little money.  They attach and function identically, it's just a cosmetic difference.
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL