Author Topic: 134A with "stock" condensor?  (Read 4344 times)

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
134A with "stock" condensor?
« on: June 23, 2003, 20:56:10 »
I have a 70 280 SL with the Frigiking "add-on" air....  I installed a Sanden compressor a few years ago and used it with R12...  I am thinking of "reviving" the A/C and was wondering if the condensor that was put on the car with the Frigiking air would handle the 134A conversion - or should I stick with the R12....  I think that the Sanden compressor will be fine with 134 but a shop told me today that he didn't think the condensor would be up to the task....  any guidance here is greatly appreciated....
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: 134A with "stock" condensor?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 15:01:28 »
I did some research in the old Yahoo! files, and here's the results - I hope they are useful:

"It's been extraordinarily hot in Washington D.C. and I notice that my A/C blower is not particularly strong. I am wondering if this is characteristic of the system or specific to my unit-maybe I am having RPM problems with my fan. Also, I am missing one of the circular vents at the bottom of the blower unit. Anyone have a source for old Frigiking parts?

I have the same AC in my 1969 and I recently rebuilt it. The blower should have three speeds; low, medium and high. When set to high, it should blow very hard, but most of the air will come out of the vent on the far right since it is in a direct line with the blower. There's not much you can do to get the air to flow evenly from all vents, except to move the louvers around a bit. My unit, which was converted to R134a, will keep me comfortable (but not cold) with the soft top even in South Texas summers. With the hard top, it will get cold. If your blower does not have three distinct speeds or if the air flow from the far right vent is weak, perhaps there is something wrong with the fan moter or there is something blocking the air flow. When I rebuilt mine, I found dirt, leaves and other junk in there (thanks to the previous owner). I have a wiring diagram for the AC that I can email to you if you need it. Other Frigiking owners, please offer your experiences as well.

What exactly did you do for the conversion to 134. Did youy change out the condensor. I've been told the higher pressure of the 134 warrants a look at a condensor that'll handle the higher pressure.

I changed the dryer and all of the fittings. The hoses were changed as well. The condenser was not changed and was more than able to handle the pressure, but I had it recored anyway, since it was so old. So too with the evaporator. The oil in the pump was changed to a different type that is compatible with R134. The pump worked perfectly for about a year, but eventually had to be replaced due to unrelaiable leaking seals. If your pump is old, I'd have it replaced; they're not very expensive but a real bear to change. The entire job cost about $ 650 at a local AC shop, but I removed the unit myself to save a few bucks on labor. While the condenser was being repaired, I disassembled the entire unit, repainted it, repaired things here and there and rewired it. I put in a LED in place of the incandescent lamp so I would never have to change it. I also cleaned and lubricated the blower motor and balanced the two squirrel cages. Of course, you can continue to use freon; it's readily available, cools a bit better than R134 but is more expensive (and less environmentally friendly) than R134."
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II