Author Topic: New Compensating Spring - Alignment?  (Read 9757 times)

KevinC

New Compensating Spring - Alignment?
« on: October 09, 2005, 15:03:32 »
After complaining about a sagging rear (don't you hate when that happens?) my mechanic changed the compensating spring (apparently the pads(?) had been done previously). Anyway, now believe I have rear aligment issues.

Any thoughts on correcting this? Is a rear alignment possible?

Download Attachment: MB Rear Alignment 1.JPG
50.07 KB

Download Attachment: MB Rear Alignment 2.JPG
21.64 KB

Kevin
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

iceberg

Re: New Compensating Spring - Alignment?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 15:49:38 »
I believe someone on this site told me about rear alignment.  I think it was Mr. George Dees.  He told me here that there is a nut on the rear axel that makes the rear axel go left or right.  This not is right above the axel spring.  However, the alignment guy told me that this was the nut that adjusted the drive shaft.  
Now I trust Mr. George Dees way way more than this mechanic at Canadian Tire, but the mechanic did manage to put some doubt in my mind.  I would check again with Mr. G Dees and Dr. Benz, they can give u the answers u need.  So email them or post a message, they are really good at getting back promptly.

Warm Regards,
H

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 22:08:54 »
This I think can be rectified by changing the thickness of the spring pads. The nut on the rear axle that iceberg is referring to is to center the rear differential, not to change the pitch of the wheels/tires. Probably if you do a search you will come up with a number of useful tips. Also it may help to check here:
http://www.sl113.org/articles/default.asp

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 06:44:37 »
Hi Kevin.

If possible, could you post your alignment final numbers?

fyi...  my rear looks similar to yours...  When you sit in the car, the add'l weight should straighten out the wheels.  Also, when you put your hard top on...  the add'l weight will, should correct it also...

Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

George Davis

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 08:28:07 »
From the photos it actually looks about right, 'though a real camber measurement would be better than the eyeball.

The rear camber spec (going from memory) is positive 1.5 degrees, +/- 0.5 degrees, measured with hardtop installed, full fuel tank, and spare tire and tools in trunk.  Y'all know what positive camber is, but I'll repeat it anyway: tires tilted outward at the top (as in the photos) is positive camber.

My car now sits much like the one in the photos (hardtop off) but settles nicely with the trunk loaded for a trip.  Rear tire wear is much less this way, too.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

norton

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 12:19:53 »
Should the rear alignment be checked with the weight of the driver :?:

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

A Dalton

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 16:50:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by norton

Should the rear alignment be checked with the weight of the driver :?:

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

No .. They want you using Curb Weight specs.  Driver weight would be Test Load specs , which are not preferred for camber adjust.

KevinC

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 19:58:37 »
Thanks to all. I will bring this info to my alignment shop and check the results vs what you are suggesting.

-Kevin

Kevin
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

Bob G

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 15:01:56 »
keven:
What size are the spring pads on the rear suspension? They could very well cause your positive camber problem Down sizing the spring pads should tuck the tires into a positive camber stance.
I know because I replaced my 18 millimeter pads with 24 MM and new compensator spring and pads it has the same positive stance in the rear as your 280SL. I am going to replace the rear ppads back to 18 and that should help cure the problem.

Bob Geco

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 18:32:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by KevinC

After complaining about a sagging rear my mechanic changed the compensating spring.

Kevin,
How does a mechanic know that a spring needs replaced?  Was it put under load and found to compress too much for the given pressure?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

KevinC

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 19:39:27 »
Exactly.

Kevin
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

A Dalton

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 19:59:57 »
A common mistake and resulting problem when changing the comp spring is the installer uses the 6mm pads on each side of the new spring.. This will result in too much + camber , equally on each side .
 The 6mm pads are usually used to correct for  a weak comp spring , as they are max.  If a new spring is used , they should start with the thinner pads and then check the camber .. remember , camber on  swings is the total dimension of spring and pads, both comp and suspension springs, so the only way to tell which pad are needed is trial and error unless yuo are changing all to new .  Then the charts can be used...