Author Topic: Chrome plated over what metal?  (Read 4624 times)

113gray

Chrome plated over what metal?
« on: October 07, 2005, 14:26:24 »
Was thinking about having some external trim strips rechromed & my plater says he doesn't do aluminum trim. Anyone know what the base metal is? I suspect aluminum since it is not attracted by a magnet. I guess brass is a less likely possibility too. The pieces in question are on top of the door & the curved pieces on the soft top lid. Thanks,    -JP- '66 230SL

Douglas

Re: Chrome plated over what metal?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 14:29:38 »
It's brass.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

norton

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 15:20:01 »
Most of the chromed trim on these cars used brass as a base metal, Aluminum was used only (I think)on the 3 trim pieces on the lower sides of the car. (the thin one's with out the rubber strip)

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 15:32:12 by norton »

enochbell

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 16:04:57 »
Yep, it is brass, except for the lower body strips and the windshield frame (outer).  Brass is easy to extrude, form and mill, and takes chrome better than steel, but is ridulously expensive.  Any wonder there is no chromed brass on any contemporary car?

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

Tom230sl

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 17:19:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by 113gray

Was thinking about having some external trim strips rechromed & my plater says he doesn't do aluminum trim. Anyone know what the base metal is? I suspect aluminum since it is not attracted by a magnet. I guess brass is a less likely possibility too. The pieces in question are on top of the door & the curved pieces on the soft top lid. Thanks,    -JP- '66 230SL

brass

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 05:57:15 »
Hello JP,
Yes, mostly brass.  Your platter is correct, aluminum does not take chrome well. The lower trim is aluminum and it is not chrome plated. This  aluminum lower trim on your car undergoes a different type of process sometimes called "brite dipping" which is not a plating process. It is very hard to find someone who can do this. The lighting industry uses the same process for achieving a mirror like finish on aluminum reflectors.

The door handles, trunk star, mirror base are a Zinc casting. The bumpers are steel of coarse. The "base of the windshield" trim on the sedans of the era, started off being chrome over brass and then was changed to "brite dipped" aluminum in latter years (not sure the W113 did?).

As Greg posted, brass is a favorite for low production parts. It is easy to chrome or re-chrome but is costly and a little difficult to repair if bent or damaged.

Very low production model Mercedes like the ponton cabriolets had all brass trim. Each car had all it's brass trim  fitted to the cars in natural brass. After fitting the brass trim was removed and chrome plated, then installed on the cars!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 05:59:01 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

113gray

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 18:28:46 »
The info supplied by the several responders I found to be entirely correct. The 2 curved pieces on the rear of the soft top cover, as well as the piece on top of the door external to the window glass, are all brass. The bottom piece on the door exterior is aluminum. The brass pieces appear to be very expensive to replace w/ new, while the aluminum ones are perhaps not so bad. If I run across any useful info during the process of replacement, I will pass it along to the group. I have already found out that it is possible to remove these pieces w/o harming the surrounding paint. Thanks to all.   -JP-