Author Topic: Cleaning valve cover and intake manifold  (Read 11092 times)

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
Cleaning valve cover and intake manifold
« on: September 23, 2005, 13:12:59 »
What's the best way to clean these and keep them clean, without making them look too shiny?  

Chris

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Cleaning valve cover and intake manifold
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 16:58:01 »
Elbow grease!  :D

I had good luck with a citrus based engine cleaner. Soak, scrub with a stiff brush (toothbrush for small corners) and wash off.  Then aluminum jelly.  Soak overight, scrub an wash off.  Not quick or too much fun, but it just gets the surface clean without abrasives or polishing.  

While I had my valve cover off for the head rebuild last year, I used 3M scouring pads and got it pleasantly shiny without too much shine.  I then painted it with clear engine paint.  I only put about 2,000 miles on it before deciding to overhaul the bottom end, but it held up fine and is much easier to keep clean.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

113gray

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 07:23:03 »
I agree w/ the clear engine spray paint which I use on lots of metal things that I want to keep looking good after cleaning. Some have too much shine, but Dupli-Color has one (DE 1636) that is heat resistant & goes on a semi-gloss; also, for applications not subject to high heat, Krylon has a satin finish (#1313) w/ even less gloss. For plastic, Griot's has an Engine Gloss which is OK too, but will be glossy if not applied in thin coats. This is more expensive than it should be & takes forever to ship because it's apparently illegal to ship spray cans by air.    -JP-

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 14:02:16 »
I glass bead the parts and then I take them to the car wash with me to remove any remaining sand - very important.

I use a light coat of engine oil rubbed into the metal. This will cure on the bare aluminum and it will slowly get a nice patina over time. I've had bad results with clear coats that peel over time or turn yellow from heat. You have to get the metal really clean before any type of coating will stick which isn't always possible. Ordinary aluma-prep works pretty well for cleaning some parts. New parts were pretty shiny and glass beading makes everything a bit dull but it cleans all the tarnish off so you have a good base to start from. No doubt something like walnut shells would make the finish brighter.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 14:18:21 »
I just did the fan: Bead blasted it to get a varnish? coat off. It was yellowish in places and other areas it had come off mostly. I'll try that engine oil thing: It appeals to me more than somthing out of a spray can

'69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 21:27:06 by theengineer »
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

norton

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 14:26:07 »
I'v had good results from having the parts walnut blasted, then powder coated with satin or low gloss clear.

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 14:27:09 by norton »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 05:44:22 »
Chris,

Despite the recommendations listed, blasting of aluminum in any way--glass bead, walnut shells, etc. is generally discouraged by those who wish to maintain the original finish.  Any kind of blasting strong enough to dislodge crud will affect the surface finish since aluminum is so soft.

When my engine was rebuilt by Metric Motors, the valve cover came back looking like it had just been ejected from the mold in the casting plant!  When I queried Metric on it, I asked how they achieved the look, and they said bead blasting!  I said impossible, and showed them the photo I had taken.  He then emailed me back and said, yes I was right, and he was wrong--the surface was clearly not bead blasted.

So, how to achieve that freshly cast look?  They used a commercial solvent from Safety-Kleen which is a "carb cleaner" and let the thing soak in that for a while.  You might try over the counter carb cleaners, and a nylon brush.  Brake cleaner is a strong solvent as well.

In the car wash industry we use a very very nasty chemical to clean the walls of crud and sludge that builds up.  Interestingly, it is sold as an "aluminum brightener".  I have not tried it in that application.  It is nasty because it contains either ammonium biflouride or hydroflouric acid, a nasty acid that will pass through your skin and attack your bones without you knowing it because you can't feel it.  In order to allow you to know that the stuff may have hit your skin, and to boost its effectiveness in cleaning applications, they mix it with hydrochloric and sulfuric acids!  Egad, what a toxic brew.  But, hot damn!  The stuff literally melts EVERYTHING that is on the wall away, except the wall!

If you have the wherewithall to try this stuff, you can go to any car wash and ask the owner or manager if they have a small quantity of wall cleaner you can try.  A weaker brew of the stuff is sold as a wheel cleaner under the Eagle One name in auto parts stores. There's another one called Hot Rims, and probably other brands of  Chrome and Wheel cleaners I don't know about.  Look for the ingredient Hydroflouric Acid.

As usual, test on a small area first.  Oh, it should be stated that this stuff should not be used "in situ" but only on parts removed from your engine bay.  Spraying aluminum brightener inside your engine bay could cause problems.

Now for the inevitable off line questions: can I supply some?  No, I'm afraid.  I buy the stuff in 5 gallon pails that I either pick up or have delivered by a local supplier.  Handling the stuff is a harder challenge than using it. I can't get small quantities into small containers with the tools I have.  Shipping it, as you would imagine, is almost impossible as well.  BUT anyone wanting to try it out is welcome to come to Michigan.  I'll give you some lessons ("Wax on, Wax off") on my walls  ;)  and then help you on your aluminum parts!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 06:07:44 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Vince Canepa

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 08:29:18 »
Gunk makes a carbuetor cleaner that comes in gallon cans.  You can make a tub out of wood and line it with plastic or aluminum foil.  Make the tub close in size to the piece being cleaned to save on product.  Buy several gallons.  Let it soak a few days.  It works really well cleaning aluminum.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 18:28:41 »
Many thanks to all who responded.  I should given more detail in my earlier note.  

My valve cover and manifold are currently pretty clean (see photo, taken a little over a year ago), although I do get envious of the 300SL manifolds at car shows.  What I'm looking for is a way to clean off the slight discolorations that tend to appear, and to keep the parts looking bright, but not too shiny (without taking the parts off the car).

I'll probably try what Dan suggested -- using a light coat of oil.  On my BMW, I've also used hand cleaner to clean up aluminum parts, with reasonable success.  What do listers think of that method?

Chris  

Download Attachment: Engine.jpg
78.67 KB

Vince Canepa

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 05:29:23 »
I don't think you need to treat the parts with anything.  You have nice clean parts.  I think oil might just attract dirt.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

Douglas

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 06:13:20 »
Chris, your engine bay looks very nice. Once it gets to that point, all you have to do is keep it clean. To degrease things that are just superficially dirty, I use Simple Green.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220