Author Topic: Idaho Pagoda  (Read 11041 times)

TR

Idaho Pagoda
« on: August 19, 2005, 06:53:48 »
Over this past weekend we took the car out for a shakedown run through Idaho
s Sawtooth Wilderness area.  The route provides steep and prolonged climbs, along with plenty of switch-backs.  We did 375 miles with the A/C compressor running at 100%.  Although the weather had cooled down to the upper-80s / mid-90s (70s at highest elevations) the engine held temperature quite well in all situations.  Hopefully by the time next summer roles around she
ll be ready for Death Valley
s July-August temperatures of 120+ degrees
with the A/C going full blast, of course.
Below is the link to a website where you can see some of the photos taken during that jaunt, plus a number of other pics showing the results of some recent enhancement efforts.  (note the flash changed the color/appearance of the carpet).  This remains a work in progress and further project work will be done over the coming winter.  Such as a few additional mods for engine cooling, getting the Frigiking A/C to deliver even more air volume, as well as a new soft top that hopefully will permanently resolve a multitude of old & thorny issues.
I realize any deviation from factory original is not everyone
s cup of tea, and respect that.  The enhancements to this 280SL have been done in order to make the car more usable in terms of improved creature comforts, and safety, and for pure fun / enjoyment when it comes to doing cross-country trips.  But all of the original stuff that
s been removed has been carefully stored away for safe keeping / posterity.  This includes the window cranks, rearview mirror, Frigiking alum. plates, old radio speakers w/grills, old safety belts, orig. spare tire w/cover & jack, rubber mat for the trunk, the complete old exhaust system, etc., etc.
The web server may be a bit slow, but here are the photos:  http://www.fiberpipe.net/~mb280sl/Photos.htm
Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

Bob G

Re: Idaho Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 10:44:16 »
Tom:
I like the add on for comfort you put into your SL. Who come no electric windows from an early R107? I only ask because I saw a nice 280SL at Fashion Iland in New Port Beach that was restored that had them installed so well it looked like the factory did it. Your trunk is nice did you put the spare under an axcess panel?
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 10:46:28 by Bob G »

Dick M

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 12:21:02 »
Tom..
Car is even more special than I could have imagined from what we saw in March.
Now you must make a trip over to our area so we can get a first hand look.... lots of room in your trunk for the wine.
Congratulaton...
Dick M
1970 280SL

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 14:46:11 »
Tom,
Now it really is upsetting to not see the SL on your way to St. Louis.  I hope in 2006 it's a go...I'll keep the ice cream churning.
Tim Dunagan
tdun824259
1971 280 SL

TR

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 20:08:46 »
Guys -- Thank you very much for the kind comments.  As we all know, this is a labor of love.
Tim -- Yes, let's do get together next summer!  My wife is still looking forward to some of your special homemade ice cream.  I believe we'll make our annual 4th of July run then.
Dick -- I like it...let's do it!  How about early fall?  Say, late Sept / early Oct?
Bob -- I had the pleasure of being at a Fashion Island M-B show 3-4 years ago.  The cars there were absolutely stunning, so I'm sure what you saw was terrific.  I very much like your thought of using R107 power window switches.  We'll check that out...thank you for that great idea.
Tom in Boise

Dick M

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 23:14:34 »
Tom..
Early October for a wine trip would be perfect. We will expect you to come to Nevada City and then on to the wine country... Maybe we can get David and Susan Pease and others to join in too.
Dick M
1970 280SL

TR

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 18:13:35 »
Dick -- That sounds great to both Carol and me.  Schedules are a bit tight, but how about we tentatively plan to be in your area (Nevada City) the afternoon of Oct. 8th, Saturday?  Then it would be on to the wine country...
It'd be a blast to get together with new friends...and I'm sure the W113s would enjoy eachothers' company too!
Tom in Boise

Dick M

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 00:22:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by TR

Dick -- That sounds great to both Carol and me.  Schedules are a bit tight, but how about we tentatively plan to be in your area (Nevada City) the afternoon of Oct. 8th, Saturday?  Then it would be on to the wine country...
It'd be a blast to get together with new friends...and I'm sure the W113s would enjoy eachothers' company too!
Tom in Boise

Tom..
Ann and I look forward to seeing you and Carol Oct 8th here in Nevada City. Hopefully we'll entice others to join us...   We'll work out details later.
We are in Maine Sept 7th - 27th but can "talk" over email.
Dick M
1970 280SL

red2

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 16:35:54 »
Tom tell me more about the mirror,and where to get one? thanks Rich

TR

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 09:50:47 »
Red -- Here's the web link to the mirror: http://www.mitocorp.com/flash/homelinkautodimmingmirrors.htm
We went with the last one on the page; Part #50-GENK60
I'm very pleased with it.  There is quite a wiring harness, so installation is no small thing.  The outside temp. sensor is dead on; the extra lighting is good; built-in gate & door openers have really cleaned things up; the compass is a nice addition, the auto-dimming is a great addition.  I have no regrets.
The original mirror snaps out easily, then 2 screws removes the small metal trim piece around the mount opening.  We covered that trim piece in new leather, which now covers the original mounting cavity perfectly
and nothing has been touched in the original mounting hardware.  It's now like the mounting cavity for the original mirror was never there, yet it would be super-simple to return this to its original configuration.
The new mirror glues to the inside of the (new) wind shield (good snap-away safety functionality is thus maintained).  As you can see in the photo, we tucked the new mirror right up against the wind shield surround leather trim, leaving just enough space for driver adjustment.
The new mirror is wider than the original.  This extra width just barely blocks the full rotation (ie, all the way up against the wind shield) of the sun visors.  I thought this was going to be a problem, but it has proven not to be.
Forward visibility is improved because of the new mirror being mounted maybe 1 1/2 inch higher.  Doesn't sound like much, but you have better visibility of the road ahead of you.  And the extra width comes into play when it comes to improved rear view.  Good safety enhancements in my book.
Our CLK500 cab. was the model for the exterior wind shield treatment (which you can see in the photos).  This has no impact on forward visibility.  
I've become used to exterior temp. measurement in newer cars and have grown to rely on that feature as a serious safety thing...especially as the road approaches frosty/icy conditions.  And not having to fiddle with manually adjusting the mirror for day/night conditions is another little safety enhancement, IMHO.
I actually prefer this mirror over what M-B currently supplies in their new cars.  This one has more & better functionality.  And that includes in my buddy
s new $200K+ SL65 (which is uses the exact same mirror as in the my CLK500).
We've added many other hidden technology and safety updates / enhancements to the 280SL.  The rear view mirror is by far the most visible one.
Hope this helps.  If you decide to do it I
d be happy to put you in phone contact with my friend, who did all the installation work on this new mirror (and much, much more).  I have no doubt he
d step you through it.
Tom in Boise

Ben

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 10:21:08 »
Tom you car is absolutely gorgeous, and a credit to you !
Your persistance and attention to details is beyond belief. If ever there was an "Ultimate" classic Mercedes thennthis car is it !
I like the gadgetry but especially love the trunk panelling !!
Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

TR

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 21:53:15 »
Ben -- Thank you very much for the kind words.
Next month the red 280SL will finally meet a few other W113s when we visit the N. California wine country and hopefully get together with new friends there.  I believe getting rid of that spare tire should allow us to bring back to Idaho even more of that excellent California wine!
Tom in Boise

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 23:06:14 »
Tom,
what a wonderful job, and I love that mirror!
Where did you hide the stereo amplifier?
Do you have a pic of the speakers?
Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

TR

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 08:19:36 »
Alfred -- The amp is hidden in the space behind the fire extinguisher.  (along with a 1,500 watt inverter for AC power, just for kicks).  Sorry, but I don't have photos of the speakers.  I'll try to take some and post them later.  FYI, as a benchmark for sound-quality we used a brand new SL...which comes from the factory with a pretty good system.
Tom in Boise