Author Topic: What's your profession?  (Read 143486 times)

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
Re: What's your profession?
« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2018, 00:53:22 »
I'm the head bean counter for a nursing home chain. Nothing exciting to share but it affords me to play with my 280 and a few other toys.
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2018, 14:17:14 »
NO never Japan, car was confiscated by Japanese government and sold at auction, so I assume Yakuza car.  But I have met many "Facilitators" in many states and it was amazing some of them had cousins, son in laws etc that owned cigarette machine companies, fire protections companies, promotions or valet companies that they strongly advised we use...for our own good of course. ;)
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2018, 21:25:25 »
I have a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Darmstadt, Germany university. I used to work for the company who manufactured the power steering pump for the W113, actually for most Mercedes cars since they used p/s in 1962. Transferred to the U.S. in 1988. Brought my 280SL with me. Retired from the industry since 2014. Working with 2 partners selling/buying/brokering vintage and collector cars and motorcycles.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

benzombie

• Junior Level
  • USA, GA, Decatur
« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2018, 22:25:33 »
As for me, I'm a chemist working at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta.  I started out in polymer chemistry and worked for Kimberly-Clark Corporation for 17 years developing textiles, films, adhesives, and other raw materials for use in consumer products.  About 15 years ago I joined the CDC to work with mosquito control programs focused on malaria prevention, especially those using insecticide-treated bednets.  It makes for a nice balance of lab science and international travel. 

Steve Smith
Decatur, GA

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2020, 12:39:09 »
Nearly 2 years again since the last post in this fine thread (if you joined us since August 2018 have a read then add your own story). :)

Time for another Bump ...

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2020, 16:09:12 »
Thanks for the bump, Dieter - I didn't even know this topic existed.
I got my degree in physics from UCLA (but today I couldn't derive Maxwell's or Schroedinger's Equations with a gun to my head) and it's great to see so many technical/engineering folks here.
As a lifetime resident of Los Angeles and environs, I worked at Hughes for 23 years, first at the research labs, then in business development for the Space and Communications Group. Spent my last 5 years as one of the founding execs that built DIRECTV for the U.S. and then Latin America, then president of digital media for Sony. As a techie, I've been with startups, etc too.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 16:46:26 by GM »
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

A-230

• Junior Level
  • Norway, Akershus, Bærum
  • -64 230SL
« Reply #181 on: December 19, 2020, 21:12:38 »
Educated construction engineer, been working as procurement manager for construction of oil rigs to the north sea. Since the last three years converted to procurement manager for carbon capture projects, just now for a cement factory in Norway owned by Heideberg Cement.
Drive safely,
Karl Kristian Bjørnland
-64 230SL -7403

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #182 on: December 21, 2020, 17:30:33 »
I work for Boeing in the Digital Services division. Education wise I graduated with a Bsc in Computer Science , 1987 Imperial College London. Windows SDK programmer initially, then many Programming jobs in the US and now Manager of Crew Hosting Services in NYC. Currently working from Home.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

jan lauwers

• Senior
  • Belgium, Antwerpen, Geel
« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2020, 20:56:27 »
Hi Guys,

I just came across this topic by coincidence. Quite interesting... so I'll add my story:   

As a youngster I wanted to become a pilot...spent a few years pursuing that dream... finally it did not happen. Simultaneously I studied topography.. i.e. geographical surveying and I did that as a job for a couple of years, until, out of the blue, I was offered a job as a trainee in chemicals trading in Paris. So, that marked the start of my commercial career in the chemical industry. I worked for 3 companies, always in commercial jobs, doing international sales and marketing of chemicals. Today at the age of 62, I run my own one man agency. I import 2 industrial raw materials, mainly for the glass industry. One product I import from Turkey, the other from South Korea. Being independent is wonderful, it allows me to spend one day per week to work on the restoration of my 280 SL. It is a full body off restoration and I bet that it will be on the road again next spring, 2021.
My adventures with oldtimers started with a Fiat 500 from 1973. My wife and I, we love Italy… She (we) fell in love with the baby car and bought one in 2007. That led to me starting evening class automechancs…which I did for 7 years. I always dreamt of a Pagoda, purely for its looks. As a kid I had one as a Dinky toy and already then, I knew that it was particularly elegant. In 2012, after some 3 years of searching, suddenly an affordable one crossed my path. I'll post pics here when it is ready! 

Happy New Year, gentlemen!

Jan
Jan Lauwers, Geel, Belgium 

White 280 SL 1969

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #184 on: January 01, 2021, 01:15:48 »
Very interesting professions, keep them coming!
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Duncan200

• Senior
  • Australia, Victoria, Rowville
  • Just started my Restoration
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2021, 06:29:14 »
Hello All,

After seeing this thread pop up as an unread post, I thought I’d better add my two cents.

My career started as an apprentice mechanic way back in 1991.

Since then I have worked for Mercedes as a tech, Nissan as a Service Manager, Bosch as their Diagnostic Equipment Training Manager and now I work for a small tool company called Snap-on as their Equipment Technical and Training Manager.

I’ve only recently joined this club, but I have owned my 113 for 3 years and I bought it as a Wedding Anniversary present for myself 😂.

I recently completed an extension to my garage to give myself enough room to start the restoration on “Annie” as we call her. It’s also great to have a 4 post hoist and some apparently really good tools to work on her.

Looking forward to seeking and contributing advice on here.

Cheers.
1966 MB 230SL DB 717 4sp Australian Delivered Matching Numbers Car. One day it will be back on the road in all its glory.
2000 MB CLK430 Convertible
2001 Nissan 200SX Spec S
2019 Audi SQ7 Special Edition

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2021, 14:43:10 »
It seems that the segue from turning wrenches to being a service manager to diagnostic equipment training is a time honored tradition!  one of my British car club friends was a technician at a British Leyland dealership back in the 70's, they promoted him to service writer, then service manager.  He then went to work for Sun servicing equipment and training technicians.  I have seen Sun equipment on my Snap-On man's truck.  Of course these days a lot of diagnostic equipment that used to be just about as large and impressive looking as a rolling tool chest can fit in the palm of your hand!

As for my profession, I just retired in February after 40 years selling Lincoln's, first at a Lincoln Mercury dealership, and then at a Ford Lincoln dealership after the Mercury brand was discontinued in 2010.  The owner of the Lincoln Mercury dealership where I worked for 30 years and his wife had driven his and hers pagodas since the early 70's, and helped me to acquire my 230SL.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2021, 19:03:50 »
Happy Retirement Mike, may the sun always shine for you so you may enjoy top down fun in your Pagoda :)

Dieter

One chang you may find (that you will now in retirement) be more busy then ever! :) then you will always have your Pagoda to escape from all that,

Dieter

Nicolas Aristodemou

• Senior
  • Cyprus, Lefkosia, NICOSIA
  • 280SL Auto 1970 W113, 380SL Auto 1982 R107
« Reply #188 on: February 07, 2021, 04:27:06 »
This is my story... so far....

I graduated as a Mechanical Engineer in the UK in the late 70s and then did an MSc and PhD in Energy Engineering. I work as an Engineering Consultant in Building Services, running my own Company since 1983.

I love all kinds of machines, love to fix and restore them. I have several classic cars and some modern ones. Also couple of classic motorbikes.

I am also a commercial pilot with an instrument rating and love to fly my twin engined plane.

Being close to retirement age I plan to devote more time to classic cars and their restoration.
Nicolas Aristodemou
Nicosia - CYPRUS
280SL Auto 1970 US spec (W113), 380SL 1982 R107, Citroen DS23 Pallas 1973, Triumph TR4 1963, Triumph Stag 1973, Mini Cooper S Mk1
1965, Jaguar 3.8 Mk2 1962, VW Beetle 1978 Karman Converible, 1987 Ferrari 328GTS

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2021, 21:35:40 »
The owner of the Lincoln Mercury dealership where I worked for 30 years and his wife had driven his and hers pagodas since the early 70's, and helped me to acquire my 230SL

Mike..... ! ;D ;D :D

Couldn't be any better here.
The long-term owner of a Lincoln dealership recommended to you (indirectly): 'Don't drive a Lincoln or Mercury, have a Mercedes. That's a choice ....!'
Do I read this correctly?  ;D ;D :D

All best,
Achim

(never had a Lincoln so far)
Achim
(Germany)

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2021, 23:03:30 »
Hi Achim -

Not exactly.  Like me he suffered from a long term old car disease.  He still had the '31 Model A Ford roadster that he got when he returned from Korea in the early 50's, had played around with T-series M.G.s and then graduated to Pagodas.  He knew of my long term M.G. disease and that my wife and I had his and hers M.G.s since the 1980s.  After I had been working for him for 20 years he thought I should have a Pagoda some day, too! 

He sold his wife's White/Dark Red '69 280SL automatic shortly after I acquired my 230SL.  After 35 years of Pagoda ownership, he sold his Signal Red/Black 21K mile '69 280SL manual and found a 356 to play with.  When he passed away in 2019 the Model A and 356 were out in the garage, road ready.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2022, 19:41:12 »
I just stumbled on this thread.  Very interesting crew here!  I'm very thankful to you all for the help I've found here during Covid while I brought my pagoda back from its 25 year slumber.  I'm finally getting just enough experience to post some hopefully useful things myself, so I'll try to help out where I can.   

I'm yet another engineer (electrical) 40+ yrs on in his career.  I've worked all over the southwestern US, Singapore, Dresden ... but starting in Las Vegas, where my pagoda was delivered in '68 to my dad in trade for an almost new Mustang he made the mistake of buying (he hated the handling).  I've had good fortune to work on a variety of cool projects including atlas, shuttle, tomahawk, various satellites, microprocessors, solar, black stuff, and most recently the audio chips in the iphone you're holding right now.   All the high tech semiconductor work is fine and fun, but I still am constantly amazed by the incredibly elegant pagoda systems design work, all done without computers.  The best part is that I know for sure I will never have to come home to work on my pagoda and have to debug a firmware or silicon issue.  It has none! and that is so beautiful!       Best to all,  Mark
Mark Miller
1968 280SL
Rode in his pagoda's first mile.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2022, 20:41:23 »
One entire year between posts ... and on average 20 to 25 New Members joining us here on this great site. If you are reading this now, don’t leave without sharing your story .... what ever it is it will be interesting :)

Dieter